Old School Rave and Jungle

Ben

This may very well die on it's arse but I think this music is well overdue it's own love in thread, I know that there's a fair few fans of old school (or is it "skool"?) rave and drum & bass on here. It's had a revival of sorts recently due to the "nu-rave" trend from the last couple of years, but for me it's still great dance music - although I don't know how much of that is from my own nostalgia.

Any track links, youtube videos and dj mixes are highly welcome. I'll kick it off:

Outlander - The Vamp - This is still played out all the time now, I've heard it at virtually every club I've been to this year. The rising stabs are KILLER.

DJ Seduction - Hardcore Heaven - I love the synths in this, constant nonstop energy.

Dead Dred - Dred Bass - My Pete Tong Essential Selection dubbed tape of this from back in 1994 snapped from overplay, my 13 year old self was distraught. The final minute or so is still sensational, perfect interplay between the bassline and drumlines.

Is most of this music stuck in copyright hell? It's almost impossible to find compilations these days, or am I the only person in the world who wants to hear these unmixed without a MC blaring over the top? It's one of the reasons I was so excited when I picked up XL's The First Chapters today.

Also I'd be interested how much this stuff crossed over into other countries? Was it a uniquely British thing or did it make it around the world?

Oh man. Where do I begin?

On the back of the discussion of Production House in the rareties thread:

Acen - Window In The Sky (Monolythikmaniak Mix)

Also:

Krome & Time - This Sound is for the Underground

Jonny L - Hurt U So

If you can, track down the four Kaos Theory compilations. Unmixed old school hardcore goodness all the way. The fourth one was pretty much the compilation that got me into dance music.

I love the Old School Euphoria compilation, too. It's mixed, but it's mixed by Altern-8, and has a nice blend of dance classics and hardcore stuff.

For me it was all about the stabs really. The Acen stuff was good, but when it got cartoony it really jarred me off.

S. Knight - Art of Stalking

Beltram - Energy Flash

Spectrum - Brazil

Aphex Twin - Digeredoo

T99 - Anasthasia

Quadrophonia - Quadrophonia

4 Hero - Mr Kirks Nightmare

Holy Ghost - Mad Monks on Zinc (my personal favorite from this list).

I must admit to not know much about drum and bass as i went back into Techno, eletronica and Hip hop back then totally bypassing the entire scene. Underground Resistance and much of the Detroit techno scene hated the whole rave era and sought to create a more professional sound although they did some early ravey type stuff as well. When Prodigy released Charly, i started writing rave tracks with my W30 sampler, then tried to move to something more professional as well. But failed.

I had some very memorable times though (but not raving).

Love this one especially, great stuff. The piano that comes in at about 4.20 is glorious.

If you can, track down the four Kaos Theory compilations. Unmixed old school hardcore goodness all the way. The fourth one was pretty much the compilation that got me into dance music.

Completely forgot about these compilations, had a couple on tape but foolishly gave all my cassettes away a couple of years ago. Will go on a rapidshare hunt tomorrow.

Peshay - Piano Tune - This track is still great, very spacious and some killer drum lines. Does anyone know if the piano is a sample? It's so melancholic, yet strangely uplifting at the same time.

Outlander - The Vamp - This is still played out all the time now, I've heard it at virtually every club I've been to this year. The rising stabs are KILLER.

Yeah, I noticed this too. It probably appeared on some compilation or mix or something. Seems weird that everyone would start digging it at the same time.

I was just listening to this:

Nebula II - Sceance

I'm welling up here, guys. I've a soft spot for 1992, but the real deal was 93-95, when hardcore turned into Jungle.

Hopa, one of the producers, posts in the comments about how he doesn't have a copy. Tough break bud! You're not getting mine!

Droppin Science Vol 1!!

Amen Wizardry. This is proper beat science, mad edits but never losing the groove, always retaining momentum and the funk.

Splash - Babylon (Trace Rmx) - Deejay

There's a sting in the tail of this one. The youtube clip has a tiny bit of the main vocal sample missing before the first drop. Kind of spoils it a bit. Here's the original for comparison.

I think that's the Origin Unknown mix.

Dillinja - Jah know ya big - Metalheadz

Before he went WACK.

Neuromancer - Pennywise - Symphony Sounds

;)

DJ Crystl - Warpdrive (Remix) - Deejay

Crystl reached heights that absolutely no-one else got near.

The thing I love about this one is the amount of time he keeps these brutal beats going before the sweetest breakdown comes in like an avenging angel. The definition of epic

That user also has every track from the mixed version of the Counterforce album up there. It was a totally amazing compilation of Crystl and others that came out back then. I would advise you all to line that shit up in a playlist ASAP.

I could actually keep doing this forever, but I need to go to bed.

Is most of this music stuck in copyright hell? It's almost impossible to find compilations these days, or am I the only person in the world who wants to hear these unmixed without a MC blaring over the top?

Also I'd be interested how much this stuff crossed over into other countries? Was it a uniquely British thing or did it make it around the world?

There's fairly regular vinyl represses of a lot of old tunes, but hardly ever CD compilations. There's no reason why someone couldn't track down producers and label owners and license some tunes though. It is tricky to establish ownership in a lot of cases, but there's no end of amazing tracks. Reinforced have also just released some old stuff digitally on Boomkat.

As for other countries, in Ireland we had a good hardcore scene, but as the music got darker and weirder, people started to hate it. Prog and trance got massive and Jungle was nonexistent. There was a very occasional club night, and house parties where we'd occasionally get the red card off the decks. It didn't really get big until it turned into Drum and Bass ;) They missed all the best bits, really.

There was other countries with decent scenes in the mid 90s though, it was massive in Toronto, and New York and Germany had some good stuff going on. Again, it was DnB that really had a big global impact. There's no accounting for taste!

I fucking loved this shit when I was 14. Loads of Fusion and Dreamscape tapes did the rounds at school, don't think I ever knew the proper names for any of the tunes back then unless they made it into the charts.

Slipmatt made some fucking awesome records back in the day, real nice balance of light/dark. Even the SL2 stuff was tops.

SMD#1 side A (Congress - 40 Miles remix)

SMD#3 side A

Take Me Away

Breaking Free

South coast boys Ramos, Supreme & Sunset Regime did some good stuff too:

I've got the real feel

Sunshine

Crowd Control

CLASSIC!

Red Alert & Mike Slammer - In Effect

A bit older this one, I'm sure it was remixed/ripped off a few years later tho:

Bizzarre Inc. - Plutonic

Flip side to the pop-tastic Trip To Trumpton

Urban Hype - The dream

Later, and cheesier:

Jimmy J and Cru-L-T - Six Days

Was talking to someone about this very subject the other day and were going through Youtube looking for tracks. Here are a few:

Paradox - A Certain Sound - Amen-tastic

Superb track, but you feel it just needs to be let free and explode. Great atmosphere in that track though, like this one: Codename John - The Warning (Metalheadz 1997)

Better mix of the Codename John track here :(

Here's a slightly darker TTF than folk might remember:

Exosphere

It starts off cheesey as fuck. Real horror movie soundtrack stuff. But it does turn into a bit of a banger :) Give it until 1:40-odd for the pure ravey synths. Then the song ends up with the cheeseball piano coming back in right over the synths, and it all begins to make sense.

And for a harder slice of 90s Scottish hardcore, this one used to send the bams wild back at my skool:

Techno Dup - Marc Smith

This tune's all about what starts happening around 2:55. Very stupid music.

And, LOL, I just remembered their big crossover chart hit

which I'm sure actually got to number one in the Scottish chart.

It's total cheeseballs looking back, technically designed for a lower common denominator than your modern day Ian Van Dahl pish, with the cheesey female vox and strings, but there's something quite deep there for me when I listen. It's certainly got way more soul compared to the likes of Scooter who based an entire world-shattering career on pretty much spoofing Ultrasonic. There's no justice!

'Obsession' retains a top-drawer, totally cheesily upliftin Italian house piano melody, though (go to 2 minutes). And a MIDI clarinet, for some reason. It's actually really atmospheric!

(Am I doing this wrong?)

Paradox - A Certain Sound - Amen-tastic

Dillinja - Muthafucka - more Amen goodness

Jonny L - I'm Leavin' - yes, I like Amen. Immense tune though.

:):wub: :wub:

Quality tunes, although I prefer I Want You off the Jonny L record. He's one of the only producers left from that era that I really rate. Paradox is another one, funnily enough. Jonny L's able to make simple 2 step beats that I don't get bored with after five minutes. There's a damn strange tune he's done here:

Mr L - Your Son Needs You

(You have to scroll down to no 43)

What was the name of the massive rave events that used to go in Glasgow (I think?). Ultrasonic, Paul Elstak, Q-Tex and the like seemed to headline almost every one.

Rezerection, I'm guessing? It was like Woodstock for pill-munching nutters who wore day-glow garb with white gloves.

What is generally considered to be the first Rave track ever? I understand there's always loads of crossover, but is there a track everyone considers to be the sui generis, progenitor, mother of all?

There is no such track. I don't reckon. You could make an argument for whichever Kevin Saunderson tune had the Reese bass sound which had a big influence on the Belgians who in turn had a big influence on the brits. But it wouldn't be a particularly sound one.