Battlefield 1943

Cheers for the games fellas, I had my mic off cos I've got a bad cough so was a bit quiet. First time I managed to get in a squad game with you all, enjoyed it.

I was clunkclick 66 btw. I was also shite, but thats normal for me.

You weren't shite when you kept bombing me from your plane :)

Sort of worked. I got in for a game and a half. Last one was 6on4 for the whole thing but we had a good do. We fought well and were winning for most of it.

Shame this game doesent have the ease of setting up customs as something like Halo 3 does [yeah i know boo hiss :) ].

It works well once you are in but the 2 "captains" need to be controlling the team balancing carefully so it doesn't go 12-8 like it was tonight. Also in a private game it keeps you all together without switching the squads up so going into a big party or two together so you can communicate is a good idea. To be honest communication is the only thing this game has with friends over playing with some randoms.

Would have helped if I'd made it there for 8pm kick off. Bah.

Thanks for the games chaps, seemed fairly close despite the differing team numbers with some great moments - going to tank to tank with someone then jumping out and hiding behind my tank whilst playing cat and mouse with my rocket launcher

MickMaralade - was it me or did we seem to have a running battle going on, especially at the airfield in those last games? felt like you killed me loads and vice versa

Man, did I fucking destroy you guys on Wake or what? :)

I spent half the game not getting a single point and dying repeatedly and then seemed to enter some sort of red mist state, racking up kill after kill. I think I had around 25 at the end and got 7-800 points.

Kerraig - ace games with you before that as well. Sucked that we got split up but it was pretty funny knowing what you were going to do, even when I heard the air raid siren and I thought "that's Kerraig and he's going to go right for me". Sure enough...

Oh yeah - and that shot on Iwo Jima! I headshotted someone from the hill behind the air strip who was running down the front of Mount Suribachi. I won't be able to do that again any time soon.

Thanks for the games chaps, seemed fairly close despite the differing team numbers with some great moments - going to tank to tank with someone then jumping out and hiding behind my tank whilst playing cat and mouse with my rocket launcher

MickMaralade - was it me or did we seem to have a running battle going on, especially at the airfield in those last games? felt like you killed me loads and vice versa

Yep I lost count of the amount of times we killed each other.The best one was after you'd blown me to pieces in a tank only for me to spawn near you and deal out some justice with the rocker launcher :)

Yeah there was quite a few moments like that where we would be killed and then spawn at the flag to get revenge.

I quite liked it when I had you pinned behind a hut at the village with a tank, you kept darting out to shoot me with a rocket launcher and I kept blowing bits of the hut away until there was no cover left and I mowed you down with the coax

Also god knows who you managed to kill me with a grenade from the top of the mountaun!

Totally! Anyone likely to be on earlier? I tend to start playing around 5.30ish but I don't like to hog the TV all evening so only stay on for a few hours.

Not tonight, but usually I can play from about 6 - 6:30 until 8 ish.

I had a decent start to the first game and then the game froze and my 360 crashed. When I tried to re-join the game, there wasn't an option to do so so I bugged out.

Great games last night but slient the whole way through was it because I wasn't in a squad?

Yeah, I didn't squad up either. Should have done really. The plus side of squads is that you can spawn on people and give flag directions. The minus side is that you don't hear the whole team over comms. I slowly realised everyone else was in a squad but me last night :facepalm:

Ah I wondered why it went silent after the game started. Hope you all enjoyed using me (caraagor) as target practice. Mind it was quite funny when I took two of the other team out in a car with one rocket :lol: Oh and can I just say that the whole "shrimp crisps" conversation whilst waiting for the game to start had me in stitches :)

Sometimes I wish I had capture equipment for my 360.

The other side were holding the bunker above the Beach on Wake Island, the one that looks towards the Airfield. I had a sniper. They had three people by the bunker, two snipers and a rifleman. Three kills (two headshots) from one clip in not much longer than five seconds. Got an avenger kill bonus too. Ill probably put another thirty hours in before I have a moment as accurate as that again! :)

Kerraig - ace games with you before that as well. Sucked that we got split up but it was pretty funny knowing what you were going to do, even when I heard the air raid siren and I thought "that's Kerraig and he's going to go right for me". Sure enough...

Oh yeah - and that shot on Iwo Jima! I headshotted someone from the hill behind the air strip who was running down the front of Mount Suribachi. I won't be able to do that again any time soon.

That headshot was insane!

Yeah shame we got split up. I was surprised you dint move the tank. You're obviously a gambling man

Yeah, I didn't squad up either. Should have done really. The plus side of squads is that you can spawn on people and give flag directions. The minus side is that you don't hear the whole team over comms. I slowly realised everyone else was in a squad but me last night :)

If you are going in 8 v 8 private the best thing for comms is to set up a full party on each side. It doesn't mix the teams up in a private game.

"Too good, I got bored" kind of echoes my sentiment about this sometimes but I keep having to shake myself out of it, because this is the kind of game I dreamt of playing for years. World War II, get into any vehicle, always on, never stops, constant score, explosives, sniper rifles, tanks, destructive buildings, you name it. They pretty much delivered on everyone I wanted, ever.

I love all that. I love the destructive stuff, if some dick is being snipey from a tower, grenade his sandbags out. Maybe you'll kill him, at least you'll take out his cover, and there'll be a cloud of dust in which he can't see, to pelt him with two rifle clips. If you want to be a sniper, your character comes pre-covered in leaves. If you want to be a solider, you've got an endless supply of great offensive weapons with a statisfying damage model. You can capture flags, you can kill people, whatever you are happiest with.

However, like LittleJoe, I had so much fun with the game, having clocked almost 40 hours and being ranked 5000th in the world on PS3, that I've kind of plateaued. And the spark has gone a wee bit. For instance, an easy wayto win Wake (or most of the levels to be honest) is to fight a nuisance action on the most usual / closest landing grounds of the enemy. In my last 100 games, I must have played at least 80 where this strategy led to us holding every base on the island. And instead of the teammates spawning on the base closest to the enemy aircraft carrier, they respawned at the computer selected base which is almost always that in the centre of the island. Cue bitter fighting to retrieve the two ends, fighting outward from the middle.

I'm getting pretty fed up playing these kinds of missions. I understand why people say "Ignore that and play for yourself" but I'm not playing to rank myself up, I really want to win each battle just for the sport of winning it. To anyone not fighting this way, you will sometimes win all the flights by fighting from left to right, or right to left. But you will do it much quicker by fighting from right and left in towards the middle. Then your biggest challenge is to hold the two extremes, because people are lazy and if they have to drive a boat to flags, they'll mostly choose the closest ones. It also allows you, if you've a tank or plane, to pick off the troop landing ships or parachute to their aircraft carrier and disrupt things so much that they spend a load of turns hunting you downm all the while bleeding points if you have the majority of flags.

I absolutely love the Tank. Got 700-800 points on Wake Island yesterday. I was just romping around the map killing every fucker.

But then, coming from Airfield to AA Village, the part where the road dips, I came up against a full squad who were doing nothing except bombard me with explosives. In the Tank I was in the worst possible position - absolutely no chance of going hull down as I normally would try and do, as the dip is too steep, and my main gun can only go down so much, and I was also silhouetted against the sky. I couldn't come down to lose my silhouette, as that would make it much easier for them to get something in behind and fuck my shit up with one hit. It was a superb firefight, and I managed to kill a few of them (for them to respawn right there again, obviously) with my Coax Gun, and then I'd fire off Shells just to scare them into cover (even though they do FA damage, it still makes people think twice). As I didn't have a gunner though, I had to keep retreating to let my Coax cool, and maybe repair a bit of damage. Eventually one got behind me, so I had no option but to rush forward. I knew I was done for, so I took out 1 or 2 more, and then got fucked up as a reached the bottom of the hill.

The whole encounter lasted 30-60 seconds, and it was probably one of my best moments of the game so far. I have to say, I had respect for them working together and going face to face with a Tank. They must've been chuffed every time they made this big fucking beast fall back.

Yeah, DICE need to basically copy the mechanics of CoD. People want a smooth framerate, responsive controls and better feeling weapons. It shouldn't take a clip to take someone down, and I shouldn't feel like I'm fighting with my weapon. Bad Company was a badly flawed game with some great ideas (and dedicated servers!). It was way behind CoD4, though.

I can't stand COD, or Counterstrike, Rainbow 6, GRAW, etc. in versus mode because of how quickly you can be taken down. It's nice to have a military themed FPS where you have a feeling of being under fire and are actually given a chance to react, run to cover or fire back.

EDIT: What the fuck? I've quoted someone from the first page of the thread? :hmm: