Battlefield 1943

I know what you mean I was an engineer all the way and loved those mines!

The feeling you get the first time you have a Jeep going full tilt straight at you and you drop a mine at your feet and back off, leaving the Jeep to hit it and go soaring over your head in a fireball. Oh my! :P:blink:

The feeling you get the first time you have a Jeep going full tilt straight at you and you drop a mine at your feet and back off, leaving the Jeep to hit it and go soaring over your head in a fireball. Oh my! :D:lol:

I've managed it a few times with det packs, the jeeps still going sailing over your head in flames, often doing a somersault! And it's still a 'hehe - take that you fecker' moment :lol:

To be honest I'm kind of glad not to have the mines anymore, the C4 is dangerous enough to vehicles as it is without having to worry about everyone on the other team scattering mines like confetti across the map, in front of tank and plane spawn points, or worst of all, running along in front of your tank and sticking them under your treads as you drive along.

My shelf life in a tank has drastically reduced enough recently as it is with everyone realising how to use the 'stealth' det packs lately (also quite a lot of seemingly one kill deaths from full health by rocket launchers - gah...)

Could you explain what that is so I can do it? :lol:

Heh... scouts creeping up in the direction opposite to what they see your turret pointing/shooting, usually crouching, and planting C4 on your tank. Swines.

Ahhhh ok, that is indeed the best way to do it. Dropping down mountains or off cliffs behind them helps too, although many a time they've just driven off without noticing me and I can't keep up :lol:

Ive noticed a few one hit insta kills from rockets, very annoying, there is obviously a sweet spot I dont know about :/

Interesting few games last night Strat - that squad who kept sending a guy in to call airstrikes on guadacanal was really ticking me off - good teamwork from them having a sniper on the hill behind to pin us down - tried laying explosives on the air raid bunker entrance a few times before and after he went in only to get thwarted by his bombs or that bloody sniper...

I'm still utterly shit at close-quarters fighting in this. About 80 games in and I still lose probably 9 out-of-10 one-on-one fights. Even when I've clearly hit an enemy several times, they just seem to spin in an instant and down me with a single shot. The scout is the only character that gives me any real kills, and then it's purely down to being a sneaky bastard and sniping people from miles away, or setting booby traps - if I'm spotted I've fuck all chance with the pistol or melee.

I'm loving the game, but this is beginning to grate slightly.

Any tips?

Thankfully, I seem to fare reasonably well with the vehicles.

Haven't had a proper rllmuk session on this yet. Was online in games with Outspaced and Fondue yesterday, but nothing squad-like.

Outspaced: What happened with you? I got a squad invite off you and when I looked in my inbox (straight away) there was nothing there.

I didn't realise you could re-generate aircraft health by flying low over your carrier. That's pretty useful.

Before, I'd been landing and taking off again.

Yeah, it's bloody risky doing it without hitting one of your team mates though :lol:

I'm still utterly shit at close-quarters fighting in this. About 80 games in and I still lose probably 9 out-of-10 one-on-one fights. Even when I've clearly hit an enemy several times, they just seem to spin in an instant and down me with a single shot. The scout is the only character that gives me any real kills, and then it's purely down to being a sneaky bastard and sniping people from miles away, or setting booby traps - if I'm spotted I've fuck all chance with the pistol or melee.

Any tips?

I was totally gash till I turned the aim sensitivity down a bit. Saying that all the tips pages say you should get used to it turned up as high as you can go...

I found the aiming too twitchy beforehand, now I can at least line people up well in my sights.

Any tips?

Use the rifle! 2-3 shots from the hip and they're down. Conversely to your annoyance, I've had several occasions where I've been peppered with (presumably) Tommy gun fire, swivelled round in the direction I've been taking damage and dropped them in a second.

On the maps we currently have, I can't think of anywhere that benefits from the close range power of the Tommy gun. Unless you're running into a building, all your firefights should be happening at medium range, with you crouched in cover. Even at close range the rifle is still fine - it's when you've got more than one person at a time without the time to reload that might give you issues.

Interesting few games last night Strat - that squad who kept sending a guy in to call airstrikes on guadacanal was really ticking me off - good teamwork from them having a sniper on the hill behind to pin us down - tried laying explosives on the air raid bunker entrance a few times before and after he went in only to get thwarted by his bombs or that bloody sniper...

Yeah they outplayed us pretty well didnt they!

Why can i never get in a party with you now ?

I was totally gash till I turned the aim sensitivity down a bit. Saying that all the tips pages say you should get used to it turned up as high as you can go...

I found the aiming too twitchy beforehand, now I can at least line people up well in my sights.

I might give that a go and turn it down a bit - I've done as the tips state, and made it more sensitive, but unless I can take time to line up a shot, it's blind luck at close quarters.

On the maps we currently have, I can't think of anywhere that benefits from the close range power of the Tommy gun. Unless you're running into a building, all your firefights should be happening at medium range, with you crouched in cover. Even at close range the rifle is still fine - it's when you've got more than one person at a time without the time to reload that might give you issues.

The tommy-gun's shitness is balanced out by the rocket launcher, it's the only thing available that stands a chance of taking a tank down (other than another tank obv). That class is primarily anti-tank/anti-vehicle.

Oh, yeah, and I'm sick of the mardy-bastard morons who, when you get into a plane before them, think it's a good idea to pepper it with machine gun fire as it takes off. Way to help lose the team game, asswipes!

It doesn't actually hurt you. In any case, you're on the carrier or runway so you instantly repair.

The tommy-gun's shitness is balanced out by the rocket launcher, it's the only thing available that stands a chance of taking a tank down (other than another tank obv). That class is primarily anti-tank/anti-vehicle.

The explosives are my personal favourite, but I'm buggered if I'm going to downgrade to a boring sniper just to have them. You can take out a tank with enough rifle-launched grenades too. More than the shots one man has available though.

Use the rifle! 2-3 shots from the hip and they're down. Conversely to your annoyance, I've had several occasions where I've been peppered with (presumably) Tommy gun fire, swivelled round in the direction I've been taking damage and dropped them in a second.

I'm in the same boat as Fishy, people take me down for fun even when I've clearly started shooting first.

I asked about this the other day and was advised to try the rifle. Well I have and it's even worse.

At mid-distance I can continue shooting someone until they've disappeared behind a hill, or in most cases they just turn round and take me out. At close quarters it's fucking useless. I can pump round after round into someone running across my line of fire with no effect and at long distance I'm usually sniped before I can get my shot off.

The grenade launcher seems pointless too. I've blasted someone in the face at point blank. I fired one into a bunker at someone's feet. I've tried to take down tanks. It all ends in me getting killed.

I've actually gone back to the infantry class now as I get more fun in personal battles anyway, even though I lose 90% of them.

I can see me becoming bored of this pretty quickly because of the issues I have and the way the game is best played. I don't want to sneak around, hiding in bushes. I want action.

You are leading your targets, right? You're not aiming directly at them when they're running across your field of vision?

All I can say is that the things you want - that's the game I'm playing. Loving it.

Just to reiterate that when you damage someone this registers as a little red blip under the crosshairs. This has always been essential in BF games. Learn how much you need to lead someone by by firing off "feeler" shots and then try to maintain that lead. I actually find this a bit easier on a pad than I used to on mouse, oddly as you can just find the right turning rate that tracks someones movement and plug away without any effort.

Also, don't panic and run around the place when you're trying to shoot someone. Pick your shots, even stand still if they haven't spotted you. If you're attempting to shoot a fleeing adversary and you run at them with bullets flying they're just going to turn around and blast you.

I tend to save grenades for buildings and bunkers - they're ace.

With a bit of practise the rifle grenade is deadly, I can track people running across the hillside and plant one on them at quite long range now, instant kill.

When you capping watch the doorway (not too close to you though lol) with it aimed at the floor, bad guy appears, boom dead again.

Also jeeps, landing craft , AA gunners and tank gunners are all sitting ducks for rifle grenades.

Make sure you use the range reticule for long range shots, at close range use the dot and you should be good to go, if your unsure of the shot aim for the ground at their feet.

If its a near miss swap immediately to rifle and put a round in them that should do the trick.

How do you maintain your tracking with the rifle though? Its recoil is ridiculous and totally knackers my aim. Same would go for a 'feeler' shot, even if it hit I'd have to readjust and by that time the bastard's moved.

I stand still, crouch and fire the majority of the time too and although it does help, it's not a solution. They can still stop, turn around, start shooting and kill me before I can finish them off.

How do you maintain your tracking with the rifle though? Its recoil is ridiculous and totally knackers my aim. Same would go for a 'feeler' shot, even if it hit I'd have to readjust and by that time the bastard's moved.

I stand still, crouch and fire the majority of the time too and although it does help, it's not a solution. They can still stop, turn around, start shooting and kill me before I can finish them off.

I honestly just checked the page title to make sure we were talking about the same game. Are you not using the iron sights?

I hadn't noticed much of a recoil issue with the rifle, I'm a total noob spaz that can barely manage 100 points on most games but I can still take people down with the rifle.

Tommy gun is another matter, I might as well use a long hard stare.

The Sniper rifle has an epic recoil/reload, which prevents me getting a second shot in about 99% of the time.