The Official EvE thread!

Jim Rossignol has started a series of articles charting the history of our Eve corporation StateCorp on Rock Paper Shotgun.

This summer has seen the end of the lengthiest and most fulfilling gaming experience of my life: five years helping to run the Eve Online corporation, StateCorp. A five year plan? More like five years with no plan, but with endless drama. The corporation is currently in the process of moth-balling and disbanding, and so we took the opportunity to look back at what made those sixty months of Eve so fascinating, why we became so involved, and why it had to come to end. This retrospective comes to your courtesy of everyone who has been a member of StateCorp over the years.

The Five Year Spree, Part 1

Parts 2 and three now up also.

In this, the second part of my series looking back on five years of Eve Online, I tell the tale of two lost Empires, and the solo-corporation that emerged far stronger from their ashes.

Part 2

In this, the third part of my retrospective on five years of an Eve Online corporation, I discuss our guerrilla war, a heroic evacuation mission, and the few weeks of play that will, I fear, diminish all game experiences to follow.

Part 3

The most recent one contains mention of the Shop of Death project that I look back on fondly.

The Shop Of Death, aka RoBurky’s Emporium of Certain Doom, was something of a fluke. The station we had moved into had some peculiar physics bug which meant it was enormously difficult to align and leave once you had undocked. This meant that enemy pilots, arriving to buy the reasonably priced goods that Rob had placed on the market, seldom got out alive. For our allies it was a cheap, consistent source of equipment. For our enemies it was a deathtrap. We could even see what it was that they had bought, and would often loot it from their wreckage and then put it back in the market after the gank.

Well the reason we're mothballing/disbanding is that most of us aren't active any more, mostly just because our real-life situations have changed. It's been five years - people have had kids in that time, or changed jobs. There's less than a handful playing regularly, and they're looking at moving together into one of the other corps of the alliance we're in.

I'm going to be leaving my character in StateCorp, at least until I get an urge/oppertunity to return. StateCorp and my character were created on the same day, and I've been in that corp all my Eve life. It seems a shame to break that until I need to.

You would be suprised just what a chnage can do for you in Eve. The Early rllmuk players like myself were a part of apple corp. There was only a few of us but we were a close nit group. Anyway after a while we decided to kick it up a notch and Join the graduates. Some like myself are sstill there while others went to pasteurs new (and decidedly red to me I must add). There was a time when I left the graduates after the demise of BRUCE and joined shade, trouble was shade was a....not for me. So I went off started my own pos and tried doing stuff (whihc failed but at least it was something to do) left that and found out that TGRADS had joined morsus mihi, both me and zumm rejoined and we haven't looked back. I went from loving the game to being a bit bored to loving it again. Will I get bored again? Maybe but at least in MM theres always something going on (and lets face it there will be another big war sometime soon so that'll be fun).

• 3 weeks later...

Don't speak too soon Pulse, BoB has started to reform under the IT Alliance banner; they're already big and getting bigger and I'm sure they're probably out to show that there's life in the old dog yet.

http://evemaps.dotlan.net/alliance/IT_Alliance/corporations

No idea what they're up to or which unlucky alliance will be their first target. They're currently in Stain but are amassing materiale in Reblier on the borders of Syndicate for some kind of big event in the near future. The Dominion patch is going to mean big changes in how Sovereignity is handled and I'm sure they'll be poised to take advantage before things settle down.

I'm just about to embark on my third attempt into EvE this evening. I can remember almost nothing about it (the last time I played was 2004) except for training in the learning skills first to make all the other training faster? Do I have that right?

Must admit that I'm looking forward to it. I don't think I'll be a full-time player and I'll probably just potter about and do my own thing mostly, but from what I can remember, EvE allows for this.

Are you sure you want to go mmo'ing again xib? After listening to the last Gamerdork podcast (great episode) I'd have thought you'd stay well clear of them these days.

Have to admit I really like the sound of Eve the more I read about it, must give it a go some day soon, hmm there's a mac client too I see.... ;)

Don't speak too soon Pulse, BoB has started to reform under the IT Alliance banner; they're already big and getting bigger and I'm sure they're probably out to show that there's life in the old dog yet.

http://evemaps.dotlan.net/alliance/IT_Alliance/corporations

No idea what they're up to or which unlucky alliance will be their first target. They're currently in Stain but are amassing materiale in Reblier on the borders of Syndicate for some kind of big event in the near future. The Dominion patch is going to mean big changes in how Sovereignity is handled and I'm sure they'll be poised to take advantage before things settle down.

TBH is can only be a good thing. Eve needs some big bad guys for wars. Of course it will be quite a while before they are actually able to do anything on a big scale. In theory they should still have a shitload of caps (including all those one shot kill titans). And yeah Dominion will usher in some huge changes (although MM should be okay about this. Razor may have problems supply wise for a quite a while).

I am looking forward to dominion, its gonna really change stuff and sometimes a change is really good (espically if it eliminates POS warfare). And for all you new guys remember all expansions are free!!!

Are you sure you want to go mmo'ing again xib? After listening to the last Gamerdork podcast (great episode) I'd have thought you'd stay well clear of them these days.

You're dead right but it was the talk of MMOs on that podcast that got me thinking. I'm hoping that I can find fun in just tinkering along. Besides, the podcast dictates that I need to play other games. Thanks for listening to it btw.

Have to admit I really like the sound of Eve the more I read about it, must give it a go some day soon, hmm there's a mac client too I see.... ;)

It's a Mac I'll be running it on too. I got the SE in the Apple Store yesterday.

You're dead right but it was the talk of MMOs on that podcast that got me thinking. I'm hoping that I can find fun in just tinkering along. Besides, the podcast dictates that I need to play other games. Thanks for listening to it btw.

It's a Mac I'll be running it on too. I got the SE in the Apple Store yesterday.

For tinkering along you can always have some fun trading. Do bear in mind that even some one whose quite hard core only plays for about an hour if that, obviously some days a bit more. Going out and about shooting people is always fun as well. But remember eve isn't a race you cannot do a WOW and get to level 60 in a weekend. If you really want to learn the game then join Eve university, they teach people all the bits bobs to eve for those starting out and you'll get to shoot people as well.

It's a player-led corp (read guild, faction, whatever you are used to) and by all accounts they run in-game classes and give you access to masses of info. I tried when I trialled this a year or more ago but I found I was bombarded with perhaps too much info but hopefully its more streamlined now.

We're (E-UNI) constantly struggling to improve our services to new players, but unfortunately there will always be a degree of information overload involved in your first weeks in EVE. The important thing when joining a corp like ours is not to feel like you need to read and learn everything at once. Take your time, ask lots of questions, get involved in what's going on and you'll have a much better time of it.

Our biggest overhaul will be coming with the Winter expansion, when the new in-game browser launches. It'll mean we can transfer all of our in-game mails and websites onto our Wiki, for much easier browsing. Once all our information is centralised, it should be a much simpler experience to find the information you need.

But yeah, Xib, will be ace you have you along. ;)

Could I just ask real quickly then? Those "learning" skills I was talking about. I remember my mate telling me about them years ago. He says it's best to get each of them (I think there's 5 or 6 of them) up to level 4 as it makes training the other skills much quicker. What are they?

The learning skills are broken up into two tiers, "Basic" and "Advanced". Each skill raises your attribute points which in turn effect the training times of the skills that are governed by those attributes.

Basic:

Skill / Attribute

Learning / blanket increase in training speeds

Spatial Awareness / Perception

Iron Will / Willpower

Empathy / Charisma

Instant Recall / Memory

Analytical Mind / Intelligence

Advanced:

Clarity / Perception

Focus / Willpower

Presence / Charisma

Eidetic Memory / Memory

Logic / Intelligence

It's worth getting Learning itself to 5. The rest of the basic skills should got to at least level 4, the advanced to at least level 3 (level 4 preferably). It's debatable how worthwhile training any of them to level 5 as it can take up to two years for you to see any benefit from it. These days all new characters benefit from a 100% speed boost to training times meaning you can train most of these skills up in relatively short order, but don't feel like you have to focus on these skills alone. They offer no direct benefit to the things you actually do in the game, they only effect training time, so feel free to train a few other skills in order to better fit your ships and the likes otherwise it can be a very dull experience. :coffee:

With regards to joining the University, spend some time in-game, do the tutorials (the new ones are quite good, and give good items, ships and skills so are worth doing) and when you're a bit more comfortable with the basics we'll have a chat. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Bump!

CCP kindly sent me a five day free reactivation offer today, which I took up, along with a free Zephyr, which is rather nice. Better yet though, the Dominion expansion seems to have added loads to the game for people looking for some guidance and structure. There's a new "career path" help window for a start, which points you in the direction of starting agents for each mission category. I figured I'd put my new Zephyr to good use and head in the direction of the Exploration agent, who's mission's turned out to be an entire tutorial, not unlike WoW's introductory questlines. This is a good thing.

I've been interested in the new exploration content ever since unstable wormholes were introduced, but was put off in the past by the inevitable death I'd suffer at the hands of the Sleepers. They can't detect Zephyr's though. B)

Well, it turns out the agents in the career advancement menu don't take you beyond tutorial missions, but the tutorial missions themselves seem rather well thought out, awarding you with the ships and skills you need as well as explaining what to do. I've just gone from not knowing anything about exploration to learning how to use probes, what to do with the different types of discoveries, and I've left with a couple of Amarr frigates too.

No wormholes yet though. :(

I might sit about in station for five days, typing insults into bennyhill and trying to put the interface into some sort of workable order before quitting just as it becomes usable.

So par for the course then!

Would be funny though.

Oh and incase you aven;t been keeping up gorf. Pandemic legion = dying, Bob = Dead = Kenzoku = dead and now rebadged as IT allaince and killing PL.

Meanwhile CCP in their wisdom decided to place all the really good moons up north, thus every bastard is after my space.