rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Wickedkitten

Red Dead Redemption - Never coming to PC

OK how the flying fuck do you do a duel where you shoot the gun out of someone's hand with one bullet? I am trying to do a certain side mission and I believe it requires me to do this. I draw my gun out, put a white cross hair on the guys arm, my meter is higher than his but NOTHING time runs out, my guy doesn't fire, I get shot. How the flipping hell do you fire before time runs out? Not a single fucking thing I found on the net seems to explain it properly.

OK how the flying fuck do you do a duel where you shoot the gun out of someone's hand with one bullet? I am trying to do a certain side mission and I believe it requires me to do this. I draw my gun out, put a white cross hair on the guys arm, my meter is higher than his but NOTHING time runs out, my guy doesn't fire, I get shot. How the flipping hell do you fire before time runs out? Not a single fucking thing I found on the net seems to explain it properly.

When you do it correctly, the duel ends instantly. If you're planting a shot and the timer keeps going, you've missed. Aim for his hand/gun and you'll usually get it.

Are you waiting as long as possible before drawing your gun? Apparently if you draw straight away then you are far less accurate at shooting, whereas if you wait until it says 'DRAW" (or later) then your bullets are far more accurate.

The secret to the cougar challenge is apparently to stay on your horse. Somehow I managed to wrangle it so that they didn't immediately eat my horse, so all I had to do was chase after them and stab them from aboooooove.

Abooooooove.

I did this challenge yesterday and it was pretty damn easy....when I stopped holding in the Left Trigger like I do to aim a gun. If I held the LT then I couldn't aim downwards meaning I could only slash at head height, which made it difficult to kill cougars because they aren't known for being as tall as a man. When not holding LT you can then aim downwards and slash away at the little pussies. Two slashes and they're down. Still scared me a lot when I was doing it though......those screeches they make (shudder)

The secret to the cougar challenge is apparently to stay on your horse. Somehow I managed to wrangle it so that they didn't immediately eat my horse, so all I had to do was chase after them and stab them from aboooooove.

Abooooooove.

I shot the fuckers in the leg with my pistol and then casually strode over to the limping, whimpering beast with my knife and slit its throat.

Then stabbed it 62 times.

Are you waiting as long as possible before drawing your gun? Apparently if you draw straight away then you are far less accurate at shooting, whereas if you wait until it says 'DRAW" (or later) then your bullets are far more accurate.

I found this out during the duel with the German, and since then I've won every single duel since easily :)

Wow, been playing this for a few days now and I am totally hooked.

GTAIV was fun but I did not enjoy the missions or the story I enjoyed causing madness but that was about it. This is totally different - John is a good character much more likeable than Nico. The quality of the voice acting is excellent the cutscenes are a joy to watch. The atmosphere and game world are thoroughly enjoyable.

My best encounter was to get hoodwinked by a hooker who nabbed my horse. I instantly drew my gun and fired a few shots but killed my horse :). I managed to catch the hooker and dished out some frontier justice which resulted in an achievment!

I hogtied her and carried her to the railway and waited patiently for the train to finish the job for me. Got the achievement 'Dastardly' for it.

Can anyone give me a hint re. Treasure Map 2?

The first part of the map seems pretty easy to follow.

I've found the campsite atop Rio del lobos rock, found the gap between the two rocks, and then the map seems to be suggesting I follow the cliff down. Is that right? If so, then what?

I got 100% completion! Yeehaw and etc!

For anyone else going for the full complete, bounty hunts are easily the most annoying part of it. You need to complete at least one at each of the 20 different bounty locations. Try and remember where you've been, so as to help you mop up the last tenths of a percent with the minimum of fuss.

When you do it correctly, the duel ends instantly. If you're planting a shot and the timer keeps going, you've missed. Aim for his hand/gun and you'll usually get it.

The other possibility with rogue disarm issues is when they're simply impossible. Which is quite common in missions and the odd stranger quest. At such times, if you go for a disarm shot, you'll always lose. If the cutscenes to follow require a dead man, then you need to provide a dead man.

I took out the german guy first time, easy. And I just plugged a cuntish mexican pimp with three well aimed shots to the chest.

Serves him right for being a murdering bastard.

I might see if I can get away with a single headshot against someone. Finally got the hang on dice too. Still shit at poker, mind, but after some bountyhunting now have 2.5k in the bank, so can afford the practice.

Also, thought I'd encountered a bug with the rebel outfit, but wiki set me straight on that. Could have saved myself lots of running around though.

Anyway, how exactly do you rob banks?

I found a safe in the mexican fort (el presidio or something?) but couldn't do anything with it. The bank in chuparosa has a safe visible through the windows in a back room, but I can't shoot out the bars. Do you have to use dynamite?

Oh, and whoever it was who suggested whistleing your horse if he gets jacked; thanks very much. Certainly ellicited a lol from me, and allowed me to whip out my revolver and toy with him at my leisure.

And about those screenshots from the previous page: what colour settings are you guys running on? I dunno if it's worth me upping my contrast any more, it's already one above default but my crappy samsung tv always looks a bit washed out.

I got 100% completion! Yeehaw and etc!

For anyone else going for the full complete, bounty hunts are easily the most annoying part of it. You need to complete at least one at each of the 20 different bounty locations. Try and remember where you've been, so as to help you mop up the last tenths of a percent with the minimum of fuss.

Cheers, but I'm not entirely sure what you mean about remembering where you've been. I've only done a couple of bounty missions. I assumed it was always the same gangs at the same bounty locations. Do the gangs change once you've done enough at one bounty location?

This... is starting to get dull. Three or four missions into Mexico and I'm getting bored of going somewhere, shooting some guys, then 'escaping', taking out a couple of waves of guys, then the mission ending. The cars in GTA4 were a joy to drive. Horses by nature are a lot less interesting to control.

It's an incredible game in so many ways, but if they don't increase the variety in these missions somewhat I might not even bother finishing this. It doesn't help that it's all so easy it almost plays itself. Expert aiming still has a lot of assistance.

Are you just doing missions or other shit too? I only do the missions when I run out of other stuff that's available to do, which breaks them up. I have a lot more fun doing the strangers tasks and challenges than any of the missions.

And about those screenshots from the previous page: what colour settings are you guys running on? I dunno if it's worth me upping my contrast any more, it's already one above default but my crappy samsung tv always looks a bit washed out.

Is it an LCD? I find that the images on those are a bit washed out on everything, compared to plasma or LED.

A lot depends on the connection (although let's not go there :)), I find I get much better results with HDMI than VGA for example, the PS3 looks a lot more vibrant on my Sammy. For this game I boosted the saturation one or two notches and it looks nice.

I was coming to the end of the Mercer Fort mission and

had killed everybody apart from two cowboys who were hiding behind an outhouse type thing.

We sat taking pot-shots at each other for about a minute and i managed to pick one off. At that exact moment his mate LEGGED it. He ran really fast away from the fort, not shooting, not looking back but just ran. I thought that was a nice touch. Then i picked him off with a pistol from about 600 metres. Felt like such a movie moment.

I just completed the story.

What an ending! I wondered what was going on, after all the fights and things I'm back to running my farm...then suddenly dozens of soldiers and they KILL the main character, only for you to continue as his son, who then hunts down the agent who kill his dad. Brilliant ending.

Back in stock at Game and HMV stores in south west London for those still looking.

I'm just loving this sooo much. Was up until 1am getting the Dastardly achievement (take that Alan Titchmarsh!!!!).

Even the missus sits to watch me play this one. She commented last night that it feels like a movie.

I finally see the attraction of Rockstar sandbox environments. GTA left me completely cold but this is just awesome.

So I'm just getting used to Dead Eye level 3 when the game wants me to duel a Germanic fellow. Is it possible not to kill him though? When I first tried shooting his gun from his hand he killed me and the second time around Rickett told me to off the fellow.

So I'm just getting used to Dead Eye level 3 when the game wants me to duel a Germanic fellow. Is it possible not to kill him though? When I first tried shooting his gun from his hand he killed me and the second time around Rickett told me to off the fellow.

I just did that. You have to kill him. I did it first time, and basically the whole point of it seems to be to re-emphasise the Dead-Eye level 3 training. It's exactly the same as the previous duels, except this time you have to manually paint the targets on with RB, then pull the trigger with RT, and you have to kill him.

Piece of cake. :)

Five finger fillet is so easy. Bet 100 dollars on the last round and you can earn more than most of the missions I've done so far. When the Sheriff said he'd reward one of us with $50 for catching a ruthless killer he sounded a right cheap bastard :)

I just did that. You have to kill him. I did it first time, and basically the whole point of it seems to be to re-emphasise the Dead-Eye level 3 training. It's exactly the same as the previous duels, except this time you have to manually paint the targets on with RB, then pull the trigger with RT, and you have to kill him.

Piece of cake. :)

Ok, I'm starting to think I'm playing a different game to some of you lot. Well, I'm being a bit facetious there but you are talking about a proper duel here aren't you? As in standing face to face with a few cinematic camera sweeps then the camera zooms in behind John and the game says "DRAW", you get a bar to fill etc?

If you are then what you've just described is incorrect. John's Dead Eye level has nothing to do with duels and you don't have to pull the right trigger if you're already using RB to paint your targets. Your shots fire when the timer runs out, you fill your bar completely or you paint a disarm. The reason this German guy mission gets a duel tutorial is because I'm almost certain it's the first duel you are forced to participate in in the game as all the other duels in the game up to that point are entirely optional (as in they're part of optional ambient or stranger challenges). The German guy duel is exactly the same as all the other duels and the only exception is that the game's story demand he be killed, not disarmed.

For players to be getting this far into the game and still not know how duelling really works is a massive fuck up by Rockstar I must say.

I'm up to doing missions in Tall Trees now. Last night I was in the middle of skinning a bear that I had just shot and started hearing a cougar growling but I managed to dead eye as soon as I got out of the animation and turned around to see a cougar running full pelt at me. Ended up plugging it in the face with about 8 shots from my rifle and it ended up doing a cartwheel backwards

I feel like I missed out on going to Mexico really, I never got a stunning sunrise because I ended up having to blast my way in the middle of the day with Irish. The one good thing to do in Mexico, is get all the wolves that you can and sell them in Blackwater, you get quite a bit for them and bobcats.

It doesn't matter if you use RT or RB in the duels, I've been using RT since the beginning, I've used RT on the German, and I've used RT ever since. Only difference is that the duel with the German made me realise that you have to wait until 'draw!' pops up on the screen before holding LT or else your accuracy goes down the toilet. If you wait until the 'draw!' message and then calmly take your time putting white cursors (not red!) on the ugly mugs of your opponents, your blue bar will max out with just three or four shots (as in three or four times pressing RT, but I always continue placing shots anyway for shits and giggles)

Ok, I'm starting to think I'm playing a different game to some of you lot. Well, I'm being a bit facetious there but you are talking about a proper duel here aren't you? As in standing face to face with a few cinematic camera sweeps then the camera zooms in behind John and the game says "DRAW", you get a bar to fill etc?

If you are then what you've just described is incorrect. John's Dead Eye level has nothing to do with duels and you don't have to pull the right trigger if you're already using RB to paint your targets. Your shots fire when the timer runs out, you fill your bar completely or you paint a disarm. The reason this German guy mission gets a duel tutorial is because I'm almost certain it's the first duel you are forced to participate in in the game as all the other duels in the game up to that point are entirely optional (as in they're part of optional ambient or stranger challenges). The German guy duel is exactly the same as all the other duels and the only exception is that the game's story demand he be killed, not disarmed.

For players to be getting this far into the game and still not know how duelling really works is a massive fuck up by Rockstar I must say.

The only person that i disarmed was the first one that I duelled against. All the rest of them I've shot in the face. Without spoiling it for people who haven't gotten that far yet, the guy that you are with that teaches you Dead Eye level 3 even tells you at the duel with the German guy that you have to kill him.

I can't believe people were actually pulling their pistols before the thing said draw in the first place!

It doesn't matter if you use RT or RB in the duels, I've been using RT since the beginning, I've used RT on the German, and I've used RT ever since. Only difference is that the duel with the German made me realise that you have to wait until 'draw!' pops up on the screen before holding LT or else your accuracy goes down the toilet. If you wait until the 'draw!' message and then calmly take your time putting white cursors (not red!) on the ugly mugs of your opponents, your blue bar will max out with just three or four shots (as in three or four times pressing RT, but I always continue placing shots anyway for shits and giggles)

I'm crying tears of joy at this post. I really am.