Sign in to follow this  
kempstar

The Alien films

Can't we just forget that shitty 4th one exists? human alien hybrid, what the hell. Fucking Joss Whedon, he does some good TV stuff but man this film stinks...

To be fair, I think Jean Pierre Jeunet needs to shoulder just as much of the blame (probably more).

The fourth one is shite. It's just such a strange film, if anything.

One thing that's always bothered me is the cover for the original DVD release of Aliens. WTF is that sticking out from its mouth? A tail? It looks ridiculous.

4155BQ56YBL._SS500_.jpg

I always thought it looked like it was resting it's chin on it's clenched fist...

bruce1MR2202_468x737.jpg

• Upvote 2

What are people's thoughts on the Alien 3 Special Edition?

I'm just going to watch it for the first time in ages with my boyfriend who's never seen it.

Should I watch it or the theatrical cut?

Watch the newer version, it's still a deeply flawed film, but it's much better than the theatrical release.

Oops negged you by accident. What are the main charges if you could tell me?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The "Assembly Cut" has several key plot elements that differ from the theatrical release. The alien gestates in an ox rather than a dog, and one of the inmates discovers a dead facehugger. Ripley's unconscious body washes up on the shore of the planet in the special edition instead of being found in the ship's wreckage as in the theatrical cut. Some scenes are extended to focus more on the religious views of the inmates. The inmates succeed in their attempt to trap the alien, but it is later released by the disturbed inmate Golic. In this version, the alien Queen does not burst from Ripley's chest as she falls into the furnace. There is also a scene in the prison's assembly hall where one of the inmates suggests to Dillon that they lead the creature to the furnace so that they can incinerate it.

More detailed comparison.

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=1405

• Upvote 1

Blu-Ray or DVD? They both contain the same 'version' of the assembly cut in terms of content, but for the BR they finished off all the audio and colour grading so the added footage actually fits in and doesn't jar.

Personally I've always had a lot of time for Alien 3, which went further up in my estimations having seen the assembly. It is an aggressively non-mainstream film though, the anti-crowd pleaser.

What are people's thoughts on the Alien 3 Special Edition?

I'm just going to watch it for the first time in ages with my boyfriend who's never seen it.

Should I watch it or the theatrical cut?

I'm considering watching Alien 3 tonight with my BF. Nervous.

Has it taken you exactly four months to watch it with your bf, or is this a different bf? I wonder if this is one of those tests of strength in a Smitty relationship -- "Oh god, it's time to show him Alien 3, I hope this one doesn't dump me..." :)

Blu-Ray or DVD? They both contain the same 'version' of the assembly cut in terms of content, but for the BR they finished off all the audio and colour grading so the added footage actually fits in and doesn't jar.

Personally I've always had a lot of time for Alien 3, which went further up in my estimations having seen the assembly. It is an aggressively non-mainstream film though, the anti-crowd pleaser.

Blu-Ray, the Alien Anthology one.

I really liked Alien 3, flawed though it was and is in both versions. The extended cut is better in almost all places except I prefer the Ripley chest buster scene in the end of the theatrical cut.

It's my guilty pleasure film in fact, personally I think it's aged better than Aliens too. Not as good as Alien though, but then again what is.

The A3 extended cut is better overall, but the ending spoils it. Such a damp squib compared to the theatrical release, it loses half of its resonance with that apparently minor change. For all the film's faults I thought in its original form that scene was one of the best in the trilogy (in terms of its resonance with the series' themes).

The A3 extended cut is better overall, but the ending spoils it. Such a damp squib compared to the theatrical release, it loses half of its resonance with that apparently minor change. For all the film's faults I thought in its original form that scene was one of the best in the trilogy (in terms of its resonance with the series' themes).

How does the ending differ in the extended cut?

How does the ending differ in the extended cut?

The alien doesn't burst out from Ripley's chest as she's falling

Also a lot of the scenes in the extended cut have no ADR done for them, so some of the dialogue is recorded directly off the film set and is really hard to hear. They whacked the high end of the sound up to make it a bit more decipherable but it's still a bit jarring.

Not on the bluray version - they've re-recorded it all and fixed the picture so it's mostly seamless now. The cg of the alien is still terrible, though.

As for pk's spoiler...

it's also done with terrible cgi...

Alien3_JesusChristPose-thumb-630xauto-31210.jpg

For a long time, I really didn't like Alien 3. But I eventually realised it's probably entirely down to the start. If I put the beginning aside, it seems much better.

Absolutely. The last eight minutes or so of the theatrical version are a beautiful fusion of sound and image - I love the final shots of the colony being shut down, closed up, the sun rising on Fury once more - but the extended version chips and chops and mucks up the dynamics something rotten.

Agreed. Isn't there also a really weird change in that Bishop is genuinely Bishop, not an android, with human blood when he gets his ear bashed off? I could have sworn that was the case in the Quadrilogy version, and yet not the BD one. Weird little discrepancies like that distract from an otherwise superior film.

Edit: Actually, I can't find any evidence of the 'android' ending to Alien 3. I was certain I saw a version where it's white fluid that spills out his ear. Have I completely made this up?

Yeah I noticed that, too, and could have sworn he was a 'droid before. I don't ever remember him having his ear and half his scalp hanging off with blood gushing everywhere and surely, if someone had clocked you hard enough to do that, you wouldn't still be standing? Seemed really daft.

Seemed quite logical to me that human Bishop could still be talking/standing after the wallop. It wasn't that big a hit.

My believability is tested more by the giant 90's VHS camcorder one of the scientists is using! "No pictures!" :D

Seemed quite logical to me that human Bishop could still be talking/standing after the wallop. It wasn't that big a hit.

My believability is tested more by the giant 90's VHS camcorder one of the scientists is using! "No pictures!" :D

Are you mad? A huge chunk of the back of his head and his entire ear are hanging off after getting smacked full force by a wrench and he just shrugs it off and goes 'ow, goddamnit'??

bishop-alien-3-deadly-movies1.jpg

http://alienseries.wordpress.com/2012/10/22/debate-bishop-ii-man-or-machine/

There is not one version of the ever-changing Alien 3 script that depicts Bishop II as an android. Every one makes it clear that he is flesh and blood, without a synthetic bone in his body.
Henriksen’s performance was truncated in the theatrical cut, making Bishop II seem more impervious to pain, but footage of him post-injury was restored to the assembly cut in 2003. He now, as he addresses Ripley, winces, grunts, and groans in agony, and tries to staunch his bleeding head.

I hate that Bishop II uncertainty. EVERY source makes it clear he's human. Every version of the script, every note, everything ever written says he's definitely human.

But then when Aaron wallops him, half his head hangs off! You can only possibly think he's an android with red blood.

You have to come to the conclusion that it was simply an error of judgement when they created the make-up.