rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
kempstar

The Alien films

Hi

Which versions of the Alien films are seen as the "best" ones? I have the Alien Quadrilogy, and there is a directors cut and theatrical cut of each film. The one im most interested in is Aliens, as im just about to watch it :)

Many thanks

Christian

the director's cuts of the first two are great.

the third one is a hatchet jobbed mix of workprints and scenes that haven't been colour corrected. it's a mess. although iirc it does change a few things fairly substantially, like the first host is an ox rather than a dog.

can't remember with the 4th one.

"Best" versions (my preferred versions):

1. Alien - Theatrical version

(the DC is interesting, but messes up the aliens' life cycle with respect to the other films and alters the pacing of key sequences)

2. Aliens - Special Edition

(adds more depth to Ripley's character and smart guns!)

3. Alien3 - Special Edition (works better as a film)

4. Alien Res - much of a muchness

Although I would watch all the theatrical cuts first, then watch the alternate versions.

can't remember with the 4th one.

The only thing I remember was the different opening, which had an awful CGI bug/alien thing. They should've cut that bit out and added more Perlman.

If you've got half the night you can read a long thread about the pros and cons of both

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?showtopic=113631

Personally I prefer the theatrical cut although there isn't much in it. When James Cameron does a DC they always tend to be weaker than the original cut (T2 is another example).

Hmm. I've always preferred all of Cameron's DCs over the originals. Take something like The Abyss; by adding the demonstration of the aliens' power, it brings more meaning to the climax of the film. I think he uses the extra footage very well in this respect in his DCs.

Yeah I agree, go with the Special Edition of Aliens. It has some really good extra scenes in it. I much prefer it anyway.

I recently bought the Quadrilogy for £10 brand new. I've only ever owned Aliens on DVD. Cannot wait to see the Director's Cuts of the other films because I haven't seen those versions.

Another vote for the special edition of Aliens. It could maybe lose the

colony scene

at the start but other than that it's far better than the theatrical version, in my opinion. The extra depth to Ripley's character is simple but satisfying, and the motherfucking sentry guns man. SENTRY GUNS.

Director's cut of Alien 3 is the one you want, the film was damned from the start but in the theatrical cut Golick goes missing for half the film after magically unstrapping himself from a bed after he goes loopy. It explains things a lot better.

Hmm. I've always preferred all of Cameron's DCs over the originals. Take something like The Abyss; by adding the demonstration of the aliens' power, it brings more meaning to the climax of the film. I think he uses the extra footage very well in this respect in his DCs.

I did forget about The Abyss actually. I do stand by the statement regarding Aliens and T2 though (especially T2). No matter which version you watch the films are still classics but there are some needless added elements to the DCs for me.

and the motherfucking sentry guns man. SENTRY GUNS.

I REALLY fucked off my neighbours with that scene by playing it at about 90db at 11.30 at night. They were knocking on the door telling us to turn it down but we couldn't hear them due to how loud it was. :)

I prefer the theatrical version of Aliens, although the sentry guns are cool they make the Aliens seem less intelligent, and less scary for it.

Also I prefer not seeing the colony until the marines arrive, its more like going into the unknown.

But as it Aliens which any right minded person should have seen at least 86 times, you should watch them both and decide for yourself.

I prefer the theatrical version of Aliens, although the sentry guns are cool they make the Aliens seem less intelligent, and less scary for it.

Also I prefer not seeing the colony until the marines arrive, its more like going into the unknown.

But as it Aliens which any right minded person should have seen at least 86 times, you should watch them both and decide for yourself.

Really? I thought it showed their ability to learn.

Really? I thought it showed their ability to learn.

I thought the fact they

Cut the power and overcome the marines on their first assault

in the cinematic version just made them seem far more dangerous than

charging the guns

in the extended.

But it is a kick arse scene.

Also with the special edition it's almost an hour before they encounter an alien, building suspense is a good thing but an hour is too long.

To this day, I still can't understand why the scene where Burke tells Ripley about her daughter didn't make the final cut. It's the entire basis of the Ripley/Newt relationship and adds so much to her character.

I really don't understand it.

To this day, I still can't understand why the scene where Burke tells Ripley about her daughter didn't make the final cut. It's the entire basis of the Ripley/Newt relationship and adds so much to her character.

Exactly, I was too surprised that it never made it into the final cut. It is essential to that relationship. The whole Newt thing makes perfect sense when you've seen that scene beforehand.

I prefer the directors cut of Alien 3 for the fact it gives a better impression of the size of teh creature coming from an Ox rather than a dog, but its all quite messy, I really think there was room for improvement in the fx department surely they still had the negatives & cg and could have made it a little less obvious, The animation is great I havent a real complaint with it at all except the effects are so obvious it really takes you out of the moment.

Some great acting in the 3rd film though I have to say.

I really like the Extended cuts of any of these films as they just give me more minutes with my favourite sci fi films, they could be talking about the weather but I wouldn't care as I get to see more than I did before.

The Colonists on the 2nd film just serve to show you the link with the jockey ship & that its the same planet LV 426 although wasn't named originally? was it?

I could have gone for more colonist action showing their downfall vs the corporate nonsense of Ripley being chided to be frank.

Yep, I completely agree.

I prefer the theatrical cuts of them all, but that's not to say the Director's Cut/Special Edition versions of the first two films are bad. There are a couple of great scenes added to Alien in the DC, although I couldn't believe 'What are my chances' scene was removed - one of my favourites, that.

And the Workprint Cut of Alien 3 isn't meant to be a 'proper' cut of the film, it is very rough, and it's just to give you an idea of what the film could (and should) have turned out like.

Add another vote for 'DC is an interesting bolster-pack, but prefer Theatrical cut overall' for Aliens. :)

If you didn't know it was the same planet from the original with the crashed alien ship, you must've severely misjudged a teabreak somewhere near the start.

I thought the fact they

Cut the power and overcome the marines on their first assault

in the cinematic version just made them seem far more dangerous than

charging the guns

in the extended.

But it is a kick arse scene.

Also with the special edition it's almost an hour before they encounter an alien, building suspense is a good thing but an hour is too long.

Charging the guns, though, demonstrates their relentless, unstoppable nature, as well as their capacity to learn.

Losses mean nothing to them. They will keep coming, no matter the opposition, until they get to you. They only stop because they've learnt that they can't get past the guns (though of course if they'd been a bit slower to learn that, they would've exhausted the ammo :) )

Really? So, you watched the theatrical cut thinking to yourself “Hmmm… why is Ripley so dedicated to taking care of Newt? Why doesn’t she just chuck her down an air vent and get the fuck out of Dodge? It makes no sense!”. And then the Special Edition came out, and a lightbulb suddenly appeared above your head after the scene with her dead daughter.

I mean, I’m being facetious, but isn’t it obvious from the theatrical cut that Ripley has taken Newt in as a surrogate daughter, and that the showdown at the end between her and the Queen is two mothers protecting their offspring? I don’t think the SE adds anything to this, apart from spelling out explicitly something that was very effectively implied in the original film.

Anyway, I prefer the original release of Aliens; by and large, a short film is a good film, and the SE adds nothing that isn’t mostly redundant.

I haven't seen the others (Alien DC sounds wrong) but the Aliens special edition is for me the definative version of the film.

As i've said before, I disagree strongly with the idea that it takes anything away. I actually can't imagine Aliens now without those brilliant extra scenes, the turret scene in particular helps to ramp up the tension very well.

I mean, I’m being facetious, but isn’t it obvious from the theatrical cut that Ripley has taken Newt in as a surrogate daughter, and that the showdown at the end between her and the Queen is two mothers protecting their offspring? I don’t think the SE adds anything to this, apart from spelling out explicitly something that was very effectively implied in the original film.

Yes, you are being rather too facetious. Surely he's just saying that the revelation regarding Ripley's daughter merely strengthens and underlines the situation with Newt. You talk about the surrogate daugher notion as if its the first basis of it, but does a small girl alone in a colony full of of killing machines really need to be a surrogate daughter figure for her to attract the attention and care of a woman?

What I mean is that Newt doesn't need to be a surrogate daughter to Ripley, for Ripley to do what she does. That's merely to be expected, unless Ripley was some kind of callous bitch. Regardless of her having a dead daughter or not, we can understand her action. But knowing that she does have a dead daughter underlinse her emotional reaction to the experience, beyond and above that of another Ripley without a daughter.

The revelation also places an even bigger impact on the her realising that she's been in space for 50 years. It gives it even more significance. We don't know much about Ripley but she works in space, it's possible she doesn't have many friends. And she may be an only child with dead parents.

But she does have a daugter.