The Last Guardian

I'm replaying the game from the start looking for those hidden barrels & unlocking the Extra's with them, & I had a very interesting experience with one puzzle.

The first time around, I completed the puzzle quite quickly once I worked out how to do it, but this time the slight randomness of Trico's actions meant that I missed a certain cue for an action to complete the puzzle.  I then had a situation where Trico was trying to reach me (because he could see me) but I then had to use the gesture prompts to encourage him to return to a certain point so we could complete the puzzle.

I know some would say that this highlights how frustrating Trico's behavior can be, but IMO the fact that I had to adapt to the situation & treat Trico as if he had a mind of his own rather than just scripted A.I. mean that I had a different experience from one playthrough to the other.

Oh, & another little tip:  If you're looking for the food barrels for Trico, watch out for Blue Butterfly's.  They'll hover around you to let you know there's one (or more) in the area, with the number increasing as you move closer to the barrel(s)

I always like when a game takes this kind of warmer/colder approach to secrets, as I get the satisfaction of finding them without the headache of having to scour every square inch of the map.

@Jarik Good luck with the barrels! There's one about 2/3rd of the way through that's particularly tricky, but fantastic once you figure it out how to get it.

Also, regarding the butterflies, there are the ice-blue, luminescent  barrel butterflies and then other butterflies which are a slightly darker shade of blue. You tend to find the latter type in the sunlit, grassy areas, but they don't indicate that there's treasure to be found. I spent ages in one area with lots of the darker butterflies, fruitlessly hunting for barrels, before I figured this out.

I've been playing this very sporadically (with my other half) & it's odd, as I have no real idea of how much I've played & how much is remaining.

I didn't think I'd be up for a second playthrough but following the camera fix, it's definitely more biddable so I will give it a second run through & try & get all the barrels - there's a specific one I just gave up on:

Spoiler

Behind a headless guard on an upper level, where Trico catapults the kid up from a cart - could neither carry a helmet nor persuade that stupid giant cat to flip one up!

And I think I probably missed some early on before I twigged their relevance.

Of course a second playthrough will depend on how heartbreaking the end turns out to be & whether or not I can cope with it twice!

5 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

I've been playing this very sporadically (with my other half) & it's odd, as I have no real idea of how much I've played & how much is remaining.

I didn't think I'd be up for a second playthrough but following the camera fix, it's definitely more biddable so I will give it a second run through & try & get all the barrels - there's a specific one I just gave up on:

Reveal hidden contents

Behind a headless guard on an upper level, where Trico catapults the kid up from a cart - could neither carry a helmet nor persuade that stupid giant cat to flip one up!

And I think I probably missed some early on before I twigged their relevance.

Of course a second playthrough will depend on how heartbreaking the end turns out to be & whether or not I can cope with it twice!

That's the barrel I was alluding to earlier. He does do it, eventually!

Fuck me! 

I paid £42 for the game, and don't get me wrong it was worth the money and then some! But buying day one is getting a bit stupid especially during "Q4". 

Not only do you get games much cheaper but also patched up. 

Maybe, instead publishers could release games steadily over the year in s complete state rather than squashed in this small period. 

Trico is a fucking idiot. Too many times it's taken a good ten minutes for it to work out what you want to do. Mistake on the creators part. I don't mind a companion but that fucker has to not be frustrating. Yorda in ico was a lot better. So was the horse in SOTC.

Right now, I have trico lying on the floor injured and I have dropped barrels right at it's mouth and nose. It recognises they're there and tries to eat them but misses each time and manages to push the barrels further away. Jesus. Stupid animal.

27 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Trico is a fucking idiot. Too many times it's taken a good ten minutes for it to work out what you want to do. Mistake on the creators part. I don't mind a companion but that fucker has to not be frustrating. Yorda in ico was a lot better. So was the horse in SOTC.

Right now, I have trico lying on the floor injured and I have dropped barrels right at it's mouth and nose. It recognises they're there and tries to eat them but misses each time and manages to push the barrels further away. Jesus. Stupid animal.

Spoiler

You're doing it wrong. It's too weak to take the barrels itself...

On 12/24/2016 at 01:39, Jamie John said:
Spoiler You're doing it wrong. It's too weak to take the barrels itself...

Oh I tried to feed it myself but it kept knocking them out of my hands too until I finally stood at exactly the right pixel. Not even joking. I get it's injured but there's not enough leeway for a lot of the puzzles for where you need to stand. Major negative point on a game that's otherwise been great fun. So many times I've worked out what I've needed to do but haven't been in EXACTLY the position the devs decided I needed to be in to make trico do what I command.

Edit: Jeez Kevvy Metal.  Didn't realise Trico was that dear to you.  

The games a curio at best. If it wasn't for its creator's name and history and instead looked at on its at face value merits it would be "one of those games" that pop up on the forum and gets some mild interest.

I was glad I played it and I'm happy for anyone who gets more from it but I'm not surprised the mass market aren't picking this up; hence the heavy discounting. 

It's a real shame to me that this is getting judged so harshly on some niggling faults because in my opinion, it's a stone cold masterpiece.

I can happily forgive any annoyances with the camera and controls when you're dealing with a title that has more feeling and emotion packed into ten minutes than any other game can manage in over 20 hours or more.

Would it be better if this stuff had been ironed out? Yes, of course. Does it grate more purely when you consider how long it took for it to come out? Absolutely.

But the first time I sat on Trico's back and he launched himself into the air, I forgot all of that.

Fucking bravo, I say, it's the best of the three.

10 hours ago, rafaqat said:

That AI took ten years to code, give it a break. 

How did this do in sales? Did it bomb? 

26 minutes ago, carlospie said:

That AI took ten years to code, give it a break. 

How did this do in sales? Did it bomb? 

I have no idea of sales figures myself, but I would be willing to guess it's probably done better than either Ico or SotC over the same time period purely because of it being a higher profile title. Let's face it, it's had a long time to get on people's radars.

That said, when compared to most other stuff released around Christmas, it's probably sold a paltry amount.

Parkin's GotY.

And probably mine as well.

http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/the-best-video-games-of-2016

It seemed too much to hope, this year, that The Last Guardian, long lost in developmental purgatory, would finally be released, and that it would meet fans’ expectations. Yet Fumito Ueda’s third game is his best yet. It tells the affecting tale of a boy and his colossal beast, a pair lost in a lost city, who must work together to heal their wounds and escape the craggy wasteland in which they’re imprisoned. As the beast, named Trico, protects your character from ghoulish kidnappers and deadly falls (how often are we cast as the disempowered in video-game fantasies?), an earnest bond forms, not only between animal and boy but also between animal and player. While most games limp into their final credits, The Last Guardian crescendos gloriously, with an affecting ending that reveals, better than any other, the idiosyncratic power of the medium.

Getting the collectors edition off Father Christmas. First time I've held out and saved a game for Christmas Day for an age. 

It's the little things with these games that make them for me. The rustling wind and amazing echoes fear inducing vertigo and actually caring about something or someone. If they nail that right like ico and SOTC then I can forgive the frustrations. 

7 hours ago, rafaqat said:

Oh I tried to feed it myself but it kept knocking them out of my hands too until I finally stood at exactly the right pixel. Not even joking. I get it's injured but there's not enough leeway for a lot of the puzzles for where you need to stand. Major negative point on a game that's otherwise been great fun. So many times I've worked out what I've needed to do but haven't been in EXACTLY the position the devs decided I needed to be in to make trico do what I command.

This happened to me too. Spent about ten minutes trying to throw the barrels in Trico's mouth, dropping them in the right spot, standing holding the barrel in front of him and watching Trico repeatedly knock it out of the boy's arms, until I found exactly the right spot to stand in.