IGNORED

The Last Guardian

Capwn

The help they are receiving is more of a technical support thing (assuming I've read the quotes correctly) and Ueda may no longer be directly on the payroll, but he's still putting in the hours, the poor sod sounds like he has burned out a bit.

Yoshida: Well, you know, it’s not just Santa Monica. We have great tech people in Worldwide Studios. We have a central tech group in the U.S. and the U.K. so we are giving them whatever help they need. Technically, we have the best engineers in the U.S. and Europe, so these teams are helping them, giving advice.

This doesn't sound good at all. I think I'd rather see the game being cancelled than appear as some botched up job by several different studios and with the director phoning in his stuff once a week because his contract binds him to it.

It's not that he's contractually bound to the project against his will; he quit Sony so his contract with them stopped, and got them to take him on again as a private contractor. He's probably getting paid more now.

From what I understand, it's a game based around solving environmental puzzles using a gigantic mythological animal the player initally has little to no control over and must gradually win over like a virtual pet.

It's like Diakatana meets Sheeva from Resident Evil 5 meets nintendogs x 1000. I can quite understand why this is taking years. I can't understand why it took seven to realise they couldn't do it.

• 8 months later...

Sorry to get anyone excited by the the bump, but I just wanted to confirm - this game is totally dead right?

Bought my PS3 a year ago for this, then it slipped to early 2012 release, then not a hint of news for 8 months. Totally dead yea?

Yeah, as good as the first two are, they hardly sold.

I can't imagine this being held back for PS4. They must just want it out now.

It's similar to PD with GT5 except Sony knew that would sell well so are a lot more lenient with their development time. With this I imagine they are now just pushing it out the door asap. Yet we're still not seeing it... so who knows!

Half of me thinks, no matter who is in charge of the game at this point, how could they let 4 years of work go to waste - surely this game has got to come out somehow?

The other half of me thinks that maybe they weren't that close to finishing it, and it has become such a big cluster-fuck (fuck knows how) that it's never coming out...

I'm just holding onto the feeling that Sony would never let a game as big as this completely die. Has there ever been any precedent of a Sony studio been allowed to fuck up this bad on such a major title?

Half of me thinks, no matter who is in charge of the game at this point, how could they let 4 years of work go to waste - surely this game has got to come out somehow?

The other half of me thinks that maybe they weren't that close to finishing it, and it has become such a big cluster-fuck (fuck knows how) that it's never coming out...

I'm just holding onto the feeling that Sony would never let a game as big as this completely die. Has there ever been any precedent of a Sony studio been allowed to fuck up this bad on such a major title?

Gt5 took a few years...

Yeah but that's sold about 10m so I doubt anyone would call that a fuck up.

Like I said, it's easy to give infinite time to a title you know is gonna do amazing numbers. If Ico/SOTC sold well I imagine they'd have been fine with this taking ages as well.

Sorry to get anyone excited by the the bump, but I just wanted to confirm - this game is totally dead right?

I'm pretty sure it will come out. There is a reason Sony asked Sony Santa Monica to help with the technical side of things. Wouldn't be surprised it it wil come out on PS4 though.

I would happily pay £60 for this if it was just a tech demo where you could walk around the game world with the creature - even it did fuck all you told it to - as long as I could cuddle it every now and again, ride it, feed it, and smooth its feathers.

There was an update last week, it's still in the works but it sounds like they have had technical problems with the engine being unable to handle it. It boggles my mind that in all this time nobody has dared to steal this innovative idea of a large creature that gets you around the environment. It's so simple and beautiful. I'm guessing the big devs don't want to copy it if they feel it may be released within the next 2 years (but never did as it kept being pushed back) and of course technically it's very ambitious for something that may not sell well. I'm sure we'll see it but just hope when it comes out the gameplay doesn't feel several years old, they need to keep updating the design to make this work. For example I was working on Frontier's Outsider which went on for several years, it was a GTA type game but of course towards the later years you had all these advances in that genre such as GTA4, Just Cause 2, Infamous, Red Dead etc It tried putting in some new ideas but the pre GTA4 foundation was dated and getting older and older every year. So say, Last Guardian may have had a seemingly cool puzzle bit but now it's been done in Limbo, Papa&Yo or Braid etc