Sign in to follow this  
Dandy_Sephy

"My Corrie fans are low-lifes"

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/showbiz/14...slams-fans.html

SHAMED Corrie star Craig Charles—who had a £5,000-a-week crack habit —has launched an astonishing attack on the soap’s millions of fans . . . branding THEM low-life.

Scouser Charles, 44, says he HATES the ribbing he gets from Street viewers over his role as bed-hopping cabbie Lloyd Mullaney.

And he reckons devotees of his cult sci-fi comedy Red Dwarf are a much-better CLASS of viewer.

Speaking before doing a DJ stint in Leeds, the reformed BOOZE and DRUG addict moaned that the prospect of bumping into Corrie fans has stopped him taking his two daughters to Liverpool soccer games. Charles, below, whined: “I can go a bit, but I get so much stick now, and you don’t want your kids to hear that. I try and go in disguise.

“It’s especially since I’ve been on Corrie, and since I started an affair with Liz McDonald. I’ve never had any problems like that with Red Dwarf fans, they’re generally intelligent people. Maybe not so much with Corrie, it’s kind of lowest common denominator stuff!

“Even so, the show gets 11 million a night—you can’t argue with that.”

Setting aside his own reputation for a second, he's not entirely wrong on the bulk of Corrie's audience. It's hardly a thought provoking, show aimed at intellectuals (not that I'm saying RD is, but Corrie certainly isn't)

A senior member of the cast has dismissed Charles’s outburst as “unbelievably arrogant“.

The male actor added: “Craig is clearly out of touch with the people who pay his wages. The fans who make Corrie such a success by tuning in in their millions are his bread and butter. To say they are less intelligent than a bunch of nerds and students who watch Red Dwarf is staggering.

“Is he trying to alienate the entire fan base of Coronation Street in one fell swoop?”

I actually find this funnier however, for two reasons. Firstly, Corrie fans have very little to do with paying his wages, Corrie isn't on the BBC! I'm paying as much for his wages, and I don't even watch the stupid program! How many people watch it or how he is paidhas little to do with anything. Secondly, the "staggering" claim probably isn't that far from the truth. Corrie fans more intelligent then "nerds and students"? Seriously? I don't think so!

/opinion

Can you put some of the words in the bit where you state your own opinion in all caps? I'm finding it hard to follow. A few pictures would help too; perhaps a pun?

Are you drunk? Am I Drunk?

Everything not in quotes is my opinion. The stuff in quotes serves to provide the details of what I'm giving an opinion on. I don't feel like virtually shouting in all caps just this moment, and unfortunately I don't have Stilly's ability with puns.

Red Dwarf fans are no smarter than Corrie fans, that's for sure. I thought Coronation Street was mainly aimed at nerds and students too, though?

Are you drunk? Am I Drunk?

Everything not in quotes is my opinion. The stuff in quotes serves to provide the details of what I'm giving an opinion on. I don't feel like virtually shouting in all caps just this moment, and unfortunately I don't have Stilly's ability with puns.

I think he just means in the style certain tabloids "report" "news".

“It’s especially since I’ve been on Corrie, and since I started an affair with Liz McDonald. I’ve never had any problems like that with Red Dwarf fans, they’re generally intelligent people. Maybe not so much with Corrie, it’s kind of lowest common denominator stuff!

“Even so, the show gets 11 million a night—you can’t argue with that.”

Hang on - where does he say 'low-life' here? He's saying Corrie (the programme) is lowest common denominator stuff, not the fans. Plus lowest common denominator does not equal low-life.

Oh - News of the World.

I wonder how long it is until Gaz Top (aka Garth Jones) starts chiming in on this thread and spouting about what a scumbag Charles is and how "he totally got off from that rape charge, cos you can just tell he's that kind of guy".

And this has nothing to do with him losing out to him all those years back, as the successor to Jeremy Clarkson on Robot Wars. Nothing what so ever.

It's not a new problem - the guy who played Les Battersby got beaten up in real life because of what his CHARACTER did. Who has the real problem - Mr Smokes in the back of a cab, or Mr & Mrs can't distinguish Corrie from reality?

The headline is a misquote, or at least an unfair extrapolation of what Craig was saying.