GAA

Taurus

• 1 month later...

Is it just my imagination, or do you never, ever hear/see anything about GAA in Northern Ireland? Do they actually show the games (aside from the All-Ireland Final) on TV anywhere?

I come from quite a unionist family (and town) so I never heard about any GAA stuff aside from a random highlight on BBC Newsline once a year. Is there any way to follow it other than just going the matches? Although I'm not sure I really want to, seeing the recent record of Derry on Wikipedia...

I expect that RTÉ stream GAA games island-wide, if not all over the world. They limit their online streaming of sporting events based on licensing restrictions and I find it hard to believe that the GAA would offer the BBC or some satellite channel UK exclusive rights, and especially not NI-exclusive rights considering the GAA view Ireland as a whole.

Still, this is speculation on my part as I'm not entirely sure, but worth a look when there's a game on. Certainly, they've had soccer matches streamed and I've watched them here in Belfast, including the World Cup third placed playoff, and the Europa League tie between Shamrock Rovers and Juventus.

Tonight's International Rules second test is on TG4, which offer live streaming on their website. Alternatively, both RTÉ and TG4 are free to air on Sky in Northern Ireland.

I think RTE are supposed to stream island wide, but unfortuately most people in NI have English IP addresses, so they think we're from England. I only get the "International" version of RTE player.

I forgot that I get RTE and TG4 through Sky. I'll have to check it out some time.

As an upstanding Protestant my sole involvement in GAA matches is to shake my head disapprovingly when it comes on the news.

:lol:

SixT-4, you'll be waiting a while til it heats up again, but definitely give it a crack next year.

Anyone watching the international rules later? It's a bit silly but usually good for a few chuckles, especially if we beat the ozzies.

Reeling in the the years is some of the best telly ever, no doubt. The 70s and 80s were pretty grim here. Paramilitary violence, no economy, and Bob fucking Geldof.

Yeah, the 70s and 80s ones were a bit sobering for me. Being born in '87, I was too young to even realise how bad things were in the North - all I knew was that it was a scary place. I've read an awful lot about it since, but nothing compares to the effect of seeing the actual footage again.

The 2000s series is going to be a bit of a rollercoaster. From 2001's "here, have some free money!" to the death rattle of 2009, the economy's had quite a decade!

Yeah, the 70s and 80s ones were a bit sobering for me. Being born in '87, I was too young to even realise how bad things were in the North - all I knew was that it was a scary place. I've read an awful lot about it since, but nothing compares to the effect of seeing the actual footage again.

The 2000s series is going to be a bit of a rollercoaster. From 2001's "here, have some free money!" to the death rattle of 2009, the economy's had quite a decade!

I was born in 87 too, and it's only quite recently that I've realised how fragile and scary the situation really is up here. I've always taken the peace process for granted, but really, it was just 15 years ago that the IRA were blowing the shit out of stuff. And now you have Sinn Fein and the DUP in government together, which itself has only been going steady for a few years and has fallen apart loads. And we still have the RIRA acting like a bunch of idiots. Even if we get any sort of lasting peace, I'm sure some arsehole loyalists will start shit up again if a United Ireland referendum ever passes.

It also still boggles my mind how some people care so much about who we pool our tax money together with. Or why people still view themselves as being part of different communities based on your ancestry/political ideology/religion etc.

The sad thing is seeing the SDLP lose out to Sinn Fein. Which is tempered by the Alliance party getting a seat for the first time in absolutely ages.

But yeah, it's still pretty shit. Big loyalist riots a couple of minutes down the road from my house, as a response to a PSNI op arresting active loyalist paramilitaries. And realistically the security situation at the minute is probably the worst its been in at least 5 years, probably closer to a decade, given the amount of security alerts and public order problems we're seeing on a daily basis.

The PSNI tried to spin it as the death throes of hardline republicanism earlier in the year when this was just starting, but they've changed their tune now. Whether that's because they've discovered that the situation is much more serious or because they want to play up sectarian threats in order to help in their attempts to reduce the PSNI budget cut who knows. Probably a mixture of the two.

On a personal note, I don't see any issues with dual nationality - I would consider myself both British and Irish. I am quite happy being a part of Britain, but my ideal situation would be a united ireland, albeit one vastly different to the one in existence at the minute - I think the only way Ulster could be brought back into the fold was if it was given a degree of autonomy not currently offered to any of the provinces. Someone suggested a federal system based around the provinces with their own legislation, which I suppose is pretty much what I would like to see. But it will not happen within our lifetimes. Sectarianism is hereditary.

• 10 months later...

UP THE DUBS! Cracker of a match, it really doesn't get better than beating kerry in the final. Well, meath or cork would be better for animosity, but kerry are the best. When we scored that goal, holy shit. Amazing.

I want to know why Cluxton went down the tunnel instead of staying on the pitch with the rest of the team though, he looked like he hadn't just scored the winning free in the All Ireland final. I'm not even sure if he went up to lift the cup.