rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Taurus

GAA

Feel bad for Tipp. I was hoping (along with the rest of the county) that they'd win from the start, if only for the underdog factor. And it's not like Cork are going to go winning any All-Irelands any time soon (I'm not too hopeful about the football).

And as for the pitch "invasion", that's absolutely normal at finals. Any senior final I've been at, be it on a national or provincial level, always ends with the stewards opening (hazardously narrow) gates and letting the crowd stream onto the pitch!

And as for the pitch "invasion", that's absolutely normal at finals. Any senior final I've been at, be it on a national or provincial level, always ends with the stewards opening (hazardously narrow) gates and letting the crowd stream onto the pitch!

They were really trying to stop it this year. It got quite heated at the barriers until the floodgates burst.

Good luck with them stopping it, my missus, a fine girl of Kerry, goes down to watch every match she can (Since the Kingdom won't stop winning at football), and quiet as she is, she'll mob the pitch like there was free cake being given out.

Tradition, innit.

They were really trying to stop it this year. It got quite heated at the barriers until the floodgates burst.

Really? Man, what idiots. Were the crowd informed at any stage that they wouldn't be opening the pitch after the match? Or was it just a case of, crowd goes to the gate, steward goes "erm...", crowd pushes through?

Really? Man, what idiots. Were the crowd informed at any stage that they wouldn't be opening the pitch after the match? Or was it just a case of, crowd goes to the gate, steward goes "erm...", crowd pushes through?

Yeah, it was known beforehand. And there were pyrotechnics on the pitch as part of the presentation. Would have been fun to let some of those off ;)

Kilkenny and Tipp once again host the hurling seniors today. I've just stumped up for premier sports to watch it.

Can't be having Kilkenny winning 5 in a row. Sure, they're probably the best team of all time but, you know, it's getting boring.

In a couple of weeks, we'll have one of those rare occasions where I give a crap. I don't watch the sport much, but with Down actually having a good campaign for the first time in years I've become sucked in. Last weekend's semi-final nailbiter against Kildare had probably the most epic finish one could imagine - the last kick of the game, a free for Kildare right outside the box, the line crowded with red and black and hope... and then the ball tipped onto the bar to deny the comeback - and I found myself creeping eagerly towards the edge of the seat.

So, they've never lost an All-Ireland final. But then they've only been in five.

I felt sorry for Kilkenny, it seemed the gods conspired against them. It was right to start Shefflin, just so they didn't lose 2 subs if he got injured. But when he missed his first free, and then Richie Power missed his first when Shefflin came off, it just seemed to be written that they weren't going to do it. Kilkenny, while others would make you believe Tipperary ran away with it, had more possession and scoring opportunities. But when Eddie Brennan has a stinker and completely scuffs his pull on goal, then Lar Corbett does the same only for the sliotar to bounce up perfect for a tap in and finally Power going for a point in the final minute when he needed a goal, it just wasn't to be for the Cats. But congrats to Tipp, they had a long hard struggle to get back to the upper echelons of the game, and they should be proud of their achievement.

As for Down and Cork, first off, Kildare were robbed! ;) But I'll be in Dublin, probably not at the match but getting drunk. It'll be an amazing day and I'll be cheering on the Mournemen and actually think they will do it. Cork haven't performed in any game so far, Cavan doesn't count, they have scraped through a lot of games, notably the Limerick and Roscommon games. (Although the Roscommon score flattered Cork.) So c'mon Down, bring Sam back to Ulster!

How come off to Dublin chin, can you get tickets?

I'll be in Donegal on Holiday but 1 of the group is from Down so we are off to Downings Hotel to watch.. pints, feed and big game - I'll be in my element!

How come off to Dublin chin, can you get tickets?

I'll be in Donegal on Holiday but 1 of the group is from Down so we are off to Downings Hotel to watch.. pints, feed and big game - I'll be in my element!

The wife is getting tickets but not for me! A squad of us are heading down just to soak up the atmosphere, a couple of others you know too! ;)

One of the squarest balls since Custer's Revenge.

Literally the squarest square ball I’ve ever seen. That decision and the Louth/Meath ‘goal’ have left a bit of a bad taste this summer but overall I enjoyed the championship. Dublins journey was frustrating a lot of the time but we improved when it mattered and only a few silly fouls cost us a place in the All Ireland. I reckon the final will be a good one and I hope Down do it.

I met some poor Kilkenny chump in a boozer on Parnell St on Friday who had come over from New York for the final. At least he was having a good time on Friday night anyway.

As for the football, i'll be cheering Down big time. Fucking Cork bastards broke my heart in the semi final, they took the lead for the first time in the 69th minute. Same old story with Dublin, we're such chokers :(

Shefflin should never have played. I thought the fact that he was in the lineup gave away how worried Kilkenny were about losing - he was never going to last the 70 minutes and as soon as he broke down early you just knew that it would deflate them. No-one can come back from a cruciate ligament injury in 4 weeks.

What surprised me was how much Tipp wanted to win. The sheer commitment from both sides was incredible

Literally the squarest square ball I’ve ever seen. That decision and the Louth/Meath ‘goal’ have left a bit of a bad taste this summer but overall I enjoyed the championship.

I genuinely can't understand why they don't introduce video replay - I think those two incidents showed the need for it.

Dublins journey was frustrating a lot of the time but we improved when it mattered and only a few silly fouls cost us a place in the All Ireland.

I'm currently working in Dublin and I work with a couple of guys who coach in the their spare time. To say they were gutted is an understatement. Still, might bob into town for a couple of pints to soak up the atmosphere.

So anyone heading to the match on Sunday? Me and a few mates are heading to Dublin, but not the match, just to soak up some atmosphere. Trying to think of the best pub to go to watch the Minor match and the Utd/Liverpool at the same time...Might be difficult. Any ideas?

You could try the Hop House on Parnell St, it's actually a Korean restaurant with a boozer. They've multiple screens anyway, and will most likely have the GAA on the projector. It's also on the way to Croker, so there'll be atmosphere aplenty. If that doesn't pan out, there's a good few options around there too. Where are yiz staying?

Not staying, getting the "special" train from the north. Leaving at 6.30 again.

And Parnell Street isn't on the way to Croke! Going round the world for a shortcut! Wife wants to go to Drumcondra but I reckon it'll be too bunged. I'm happy to go to Molloy's 235ft from Connolly! :P

Well, it's on the way to Croker from anywhere that isn't Connolly station, and it's closer than drumcondra, but that doesn't really matter. Enjoy wherever you go. I'll be cheering on Down as well.