IGNORED

Dante's Inferno

Smitty

Finished at about seven hours. As Lewis said Visceral obviously ran out of time or inclination after the halfway mark as the game shoots it's wad in the first few levels in regard to both ideas and mechanics. Infact the last few circles of hell and more like the circles of boredom. Too may Press B chests, too many Press B doors to impale. The Darksiders quips earlier in the thread don't hold water, that game made good, fun use of it's borrowed mechanics, here they are squandered on what is a great concept wasted. What surprised me is that they didn't give the player more gameplay decisions that reflected that reflected greed, anger etc. which would have made the whole concept more inclusive than the tacked-on funfair ride it turns out to be.

Any idea that we may have that the devs had their tongue in their cheeks is blown away by the 'making the baby featurette' - "we thought it would be weird to put un-baptised babies in hell, and then someone suggested what if we cut off their arms and give them scythes for hands.." ^_^

I'm looking to pick this game up for 360 sometime soon so if anyone here wants to offload a copy once they've completed it / gotten bored of it, drop me a PM :ph34r:

Quick question about a puzzle i'm stuck on in Lust

how do I move that statue in the elevator ? I move it from the alcove onto the platform. Hit the switch below and the air pushes the bottom platform up. I then jump onto the platform and this allows me to reach another switch which opens a plate above the elevator and the platform goes up. However if I go down to the switch below and turn it off it comes back down again

It's probably something really easy but I'm tired and stumped! :lol:

Quick question about a puzzle i'm stuck on in Lust

how do I move that statue in the elevator ? I move it from the alcove onto the platform. Hit the switch below and the air pushes the bottom platform up. I then jump onto the platform and this allows me to reach another switch which opens a plate above the elevator and the platform goes up. However if I go down to the switch below and turn it off it comes back down again

It's probably something really easy but I'm tired and stumped! :lol:

you want to be on the platform before it goes up so jump on quickly after pulling the switch

I completed this earlier, and despite what others have said, i didn't think it dropped off after 4 hours, in fact the final 3 circles were very decent.

Sure, the whole thing's repetitive, there's a lack of variety in enemies, and there are WAY too many unavoidable deaths! But overall i liked it.

Now i've started a second playthrough with my upgraded stats on a harder difficulty, and it's much more enjoyable. Cleared the 50 'Gates of Hell' arena battles without too much hassle.

I'd certainly recommend it sub-£20.

• 3 weeks later...

This really is very, very poor :wub:

I'm about 2+ hours in and it's already become a huge chore

On the default difficultly every enemy takes such ridiculous amounts of damage, you can batter away at them for minutes at a time, and it doesn't really add any challenge it just adds tedium. On the easy setting (oddly called "Classic") you only have to look at the poor fuckers and they fall over and die. They couldn't even balance the difficulty levels right.

There's been so little thought or care applied to everything. Sure they've ripped GoW off, but if you are going to rip off another game's mechanics entirely, at least get those mechanics working.

Sloppy, lazy & badly designed - a waste of a good idea.

Really? I played the demo before I played God of War and I liked it. The backlash led me to wait for a price drop that doesn't seem likely just yet. Anyway, I finished God of War today and I must admit to being underwhelmed. Kinda makes me want to get this because I think i will enjoy it more.

Kinda makes me want to get this because I think i will enjoy it more.

Get GoW III. This is a poor man's clone. Trust me, I've played both and God of War III is approx. 1000 times better. There really is no comparison.

I've got Collection and III is on order. GoW was fun but shows its age IMO.

GoW pisses on this from a great height. I finished this last night and it's not fit to lick GoW1 or GoW2's boots.

It's a clone, but a sloppy & badly implemented clone.

This is the equivalent of a ZX Spectrum port of an arcade game. The basics are there and you can see what it's trying to be, but it fails on every level; graphically, controls, depth, combat, story, playability & fun.

It's a shame as the setting is pretty good, and the premise of the game had some promise. In couple of places it manages a brief section with an interesting and impressive environment, but they are but mere glimmers in a endless parade of circular fight arenas and tedious pull lever "puzzles".

Oh and remember this guy that was supposed to be coming up with all the concepts and art for the game? None of his fucked up and bizarre designs made it to the final game.

• 4 weeks later...
GoW pisses on this from a great height. I finished this last night and it's not fit to lick GoW1 or GoW2's boots.

It's a clone, but a sloppy & badly implemented clone.

This is the equivalent of a ZX Spectrum port of an arcade game. The basics are there and you can see what it's trying to be, but it fails on every level; graphically, controls, depth, combat, story, playability & fun.

It's a shame as the setting is pretty good, and the premise of the game had some promise. In couple of places it manages a brief section with an interesting and impressive environment, but they are but mere glimmers in a endless parade of circular fight arenas and tedious pull lever "puzzles".

Oh and remember this guy that was supposed to be coming up with all the concepts and art for the game? None of his fucked up and bizarre designs made it to the final game.

thats pretty harsh, really enjoying it myself

I picked up the PS3 Death Edition digipak. The bonus DVD fits in a Blu-ray-sized tray that says Blu-ray on it, so I'm basically suing.

Is that the soundtrack on the bonus-DVD? I was kind of impressed with the orchestral music accompanying the trailers.

Maybe put it up in a torrent eh? :facepalm:

• 4 months later...

I picked this up recently for £12 for a brand new copy and i just finished it, and at the price i was very impressed. The core gameplay's really fun, i did play it on the easiest difficulty as i'd heard the enemies take way to many hits on the higher levels, and it delivered a nice challenge between fighting and platforming. It's a constant 60FPS and as such a real joy to play, the presentation is superb but i do agree that it blows it's load to early, the first hour is a real tour-de-force and packed full of imagination and yet in the later chapters (bar the

Styx crossing, and travelling to the gates of Dis on Phleygas' back

which i thought was the games highlight and fucking EPIC!!!) they seemed to run out of steam. Still, definetely worth a playthrough if only to watch the downright amazing cinematics by Blur. They are utterly superb, in fact the best looking cut scenes i've ever witnessed. Good brainless fun with a bit of a demented edge,well worth 10-15 quid it can be picked up for now.

• 4 months later...

Bought this today. It went from a 8 to a 4.

The 8 is how the story evolves, the execution of the main theme, the fluid combat. All excellent. The 4 is for the biblical flaw of implementing challenges into the main story. So instead of killing hellish creatures that stand between me and my love I am killing them because of some challenge. Make a 100 chain combo, stay in the air for 8 seconds, don't block.

Separate the challenges from the main game for crying out loud! I love lost all intertest in this game now. Terrible shame. If I want to do some 'ooh look at me being good' challenges I am sure I can find em in the Extra's menu.

Ow, and the "Challenge: Fail!!!!!!!!!!!" message when a challenge is failed is so immature I will turn that 4 into a 2. Who came up with this text, a 16 year old intern with 4chan bookmarked.

edit: trying to complete this 'don't lose combo'. Difficult because an enemy can decide to block. Or not, whatever it feels like. Yeah, good idea of adding a random factor to a already stupid challenge. For fucks sake Visceral.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought this for a tenner using a gift voucher I received as a present.

It's pretty fucked up, right? I got to limbo and was killing unbaptised babies. Crazy shit.

I started on whatever the top unlocked difficulty level is. I got killed in two hits by some big beast thing, so I dropped it down to the 'normal' level and nothing could kill me. Balancing for the win!

It seems ok so far. Something to put on for a quick blast and then turn off and not think about again. Good stuff.

This was genuinely the worst game I played last year. It's just one massive enormous cliche not trying to do anything apart from shock (hurr hurr, a giant woman with monsters coming from her tits). I bought it as a prelude to GOW3 becoming cheap but I didn't get on with it at all, the combat was awful even compared to the GOW games it tried to carbon-copy.