rllmuk
Asura

Games Industry Dead Pool

Just now, Stanley said:

Just don't buy it at launch, that's where it hurts them the most, buy when it's cheaper months down the line.

Sekiro?

Absolutely no way. I want the people that made the game to get as much money back as possible and I want the publisher to know that this is the kind of game I'm willing to pay full price for. 

• Upvote 1

Would Sekiro have even have happened without evil Activision's financial involvement?, and will they also in a completely self-serving move spend money to try and it make it successful? It's hardly as black and white as people would like these situations to be.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Sort of, If you were to straight boycott games you like the look of simply because they're published by Activision then even more people get layed off and the kind of games you're interested in will be made less. I will absolutely be buy Sekiro for example. Day one, full price. 

Fair point, although looking at what Activision are now focusing on, not giving them my money will be easy.

16 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I'm fairly certain From Software can pick and choose who they partner with, being one of the most respected studios in the world.

Much like Bungie then ;)

Given how shit gamers like to think companies like EA and Activision are, you'd be forgiven for thinking any self-respecting indie developer would choose a less financially equipped publisher to fund their games instead and would certainly never choose to willing be bought out by either of those entities.

I'm not going to try and make excuses for From, that's their business.

As for Bungie it clearly wasn't working for them regardless of what they say im public, otherwise they would have stuck it out for the full ten years.

If you're interested in playing a new game from From Software, and you're choosing to soft boycott it because of the publisher you're massively shotgunning your nose off to spit your face. 

But, people's money is people's money and everyone is entitled to do what they think is best. 

29 minutes ago, Stanley said:

As for Bungie it clearly wasn't working for them regardless of what they say im public, otherwise they would have stuck it out for the full ten years.

I'd say the decision wasn't actually theirs to make. If Destiny had delivered as hoped, the glorious 10 year partnership would have been extended and their original contract had loads of first refusal options for Activision over future Bungie IP too.

Just now, mushashi said:

I'd say the decision wasn't actually theirs to make. If Destiny had delivered as hoped, the glorious 10 year partnership would have been extended and their original contract had loads of first refusal options for Activision over future Bungie IP too.

Well clearly just being successful and making money isn't enough, so we'll never know.

30 minutes ago, wev said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Have you met many gamers?

I have moderate hope, after all we did it when Microsoft inadvertently introduced an NSA spying device into our living rooms. 

1 minute ago, TehStu said:

I have moderate hope, after all we did it when Microsoft inadvertently introduced an NSA spying device into our living rooms. 

But that was because no fucker wanted kinect anyway

• Upvote 1

It'll be interesting to see what they do with the next COD, I expect we'll get an announcement for it soon, but will they try and charge £50+ again for what is now essentially a free to play game. 

It's Infinity Ward's turn on the village bike this year, and all signs point to Modern Warfare 4.

It will have a campaign mode, BR mode and Special Ops is likely returning (otherwise it is a Zombie mode). Explains why they needed to free up development resources tied up elsewhere:

It’s going to feature an entirely new campaign, a huge and expansive multiplayer world, and of course some fun co-op gameplay.

Sad news for fans of Hand of Fate 1 and 2.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/07/24/hand-of-fate-creators-defiant-development-shut-down-killing-their-final-game/

Defiant were really committed to this whole adventure-board-game thing. Striking an ace with card crawler Hand Of Fate, doubling down with a sequel. But after two-and-a-bit games, the studio have canned a brand new game mid-development and closed their doors for good.

Defiant’s darling was mystical card-game-come-brawler Hand Of Fate, a nifty little deck builder with neat ideas and tepid combat. Alec called the 2017 a “bigger, better game than its predecessor in almost every respect” in his Hand Of Fate 2 review, even if it did pull back its trash-talking ace, the Dealer.

There was even a board game at one point. Hand Of Fate: Ordeals brought the series full circle in 2018. I can’t tell you if it’s good, but it’s apt.

The Aussie studio posted the unfortunate news early this morning, announcing their effective shutdown. It sounds like they couldn’t keep up with changes in the industry over the past decade. Sad reacts only.

“The Defiant model has always focused on creating games nobody else would. Games that reflected the skills and passions of our team. Games that did something new. Our process has always been focused on iteration and exploration. We go into dark places, searching for hidden treasures. We set out without knowing where the journey will take us, and we do so knowing that the unknown is not always safe.

“That is a risky way to make games, and we knew that. When it succeeds it delivers things you could never have considered possible. When it fails, it leaves you without a safety net.

“The games market has changed in ways both big and small in the 9 years we’ve been in business. We have not been able to change quickly enough to continue with them.”

Going forward, the company will chug along as a shell “in caretaker mode” to keep their existing games running.

https://gamasutra.com/view/news/348310/Report_Parent_company_of_publisher_Annapurna_Interactive_is_exploring_bankruptcy.php

Annapurna Pictures, the movie production house and parent company of Florence, Gorogora, and Donut County publisher Annapurna Interactive, is considering bankruptcy. 

The Hollywood Reporter claims the company has hired a law firm to explore bankruptcy protection, with Annapurna having lost a huge chunk of cash following a succession of lukewarm movie releases and scrapped projects. 

Explaining the situation in a letter to staff, Annapurna Pictures founder Megan Ellison confirmed the company is looking at a variety of "restructuring deals with financial institutions," but said such a process isn't uncommon before reiterating her commitment to the cause/

They're niche but I've enjoyed all three of the games mentioned here.

That's a pity, good small publisher. There's a bit of analysis here as to what might have gone wrong. An ill-fated expansion into distribution seems to not have helped. Hollywood has turned into the video game industry from a few years ago before indies got really popular, in many ways - just massive huge budget hits to pack out the cinemas and niche indies that struggle to be seen outside of streaming services. 

https://www.screendaily.com/news/megan-ellison-responds-to-reports-of-annapurna-financial-woes-update/5141807.article

On 26/07/2019 at 18:29, martingee said:

Currently "living the dream" working freelance, mainly for an indie dev, remotely from home.

You'll never be able to set foot back into an office/studio ever again.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Unofficial Who said:

https://gamasutra.com/view/news/348310/Report_Parent_company_of_publisher_Annapurna_Interactive_is_exploring_bankruptcy.php

They're niche but I've enjoyed all three of the games mentioned here.

Let's hope someone can save the publisher, Edith Finch was released through them too.

The excellent looking 12 minutes from E3 is signed to them too.

• Upvote 1

Looks like Annapurna will be saved. Daddy Ellison is offering lenders a final deal of 80-85 cents on the dollar, as opposed to 50-60 they may get if they don't go for the offer. The big banks in particular are inclined to go for it, especially as they have so much other business with Larry.

Although the news is mainly focusing on the movie side. I have no idea how the games alone do financially and I suppose there could still be cuts to make things better overall.

• Upvote 2

Annapurna is basically Ellison’s vanity project for his daughter, and it costs a drop in the ocean compared to his many billions of dollars. It will probably never make money. It’s just a way to make some cool films and games, which is one of the better ways a billionaire has spent his money.