rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Number 28

The Sculpture Thread

Oh fuck that would be...... I would bum you right up the chuff. I have a set of modelling tools here from years ago and I really should get some clay and use them. In fact fuck it, tomorrow I am going to get some.

I just ordered in three packs of this stuff -

SSFirmGrey.jpg

I'm hoping the grey colour helps me remedy a lot of the chips and scratches that I don't notice until the paint goes on... it's really difficult to see fine surface details on the original stuff.

So, votes for JSR characters? Beat first? :hmm:

Hmm, I don't like his mouth now. I might make it larger.

What tools you got btw? I only ever find myself using one actually modeling tool (well, two if you count an old butter knife) -

1073_WoodTlsH7.jpg

Look on the bright side. Get yourself a bit of wood, and carve yourself some wooden modelling tools... :hmm:

Also: I'm not making them all dude... ;)

I'd always play as Mew, or Cube. Mew reminded me of Betty Boo. :D Not looking forward to making real people faces... might just make an egg shape with a tiny point for the nose...manga-style, yes. :)

Yeah, true, I never used Beat either. It's just, he represents the game pretty much doesn't he, being on the cover n' that? Gum is probably on near-equal footing though, she could be good. Yes, hmmmm.

Cheers Farg. :hmm:

Dah daaaah

SalFIN.jpg

Like babies Manuel... Like babies...

Quite annoyed at how the colour came out. It's meant to be more olive green... as it looked on the tube. But still, VIVA LA REVOLUCIÓN!!!

That looks insanely professional! and OMG at JSR figures!!!!!!!! any of the cast would be amazing, can't wait, go grow more arms.

I have generic clay to start with, air drying stuff (Gedeo I think) and if I enjoy it I'll get some decent stuff. It's just to start playing with for now to see if I still have use of my fingers in an arty type manner. I have a few sketches and ideas that have been sat around for a year or more that I could never quite get looking right on paper so I'm gonna give some of those a go as well as just pissing about and going off the top of my noggin.

Expect results in like, 12 months... :(

Some good tutorials there, cheers... bookmarked!

I don't suppose anyone here regularly purchases PC Gamer? I've absolutely no idea if i'm in it. I noticed they like to lock the magazine in a polythene bag so it's impossible to check. :D

I was assembling a complely uninspring generic 'cute' ninja just as a test of my skills, it was going ok, the clothing had creases and everything I just left it out too long to harden up a bit and it turned to stonnnnnnnnnne. Fuck it, the stuff is really easy to use so I should really get back to do some more. I'll throw some pictures of the construction thus far.

Well, I got some Super Sculpey last week. Never used it before and haven't used clay (or done any sculpting) for about 8 years.

I decided since it was my mates birthday coming up, and that he loves Sam & Max, to try making him a Max statue.

Here he is unpainted:

post-5856-1244572753_thumb.jpg

And here is the final result; completed at 3am today, and given as a present by 10am (was very sad to give it away in the end):

post-5856-1244572771_thumb.jpg

Not perfect by any means, but a worthy start I feel. Only used about 1/5 of the 1lb sculpey block I bought :lol:

Thanks guys :)

Ok, you wanted detail, here goes......

- Started small and made the fly swatter with a piece of wire in the shaft of it (1 bake)

- I made the legs first with wire in them (1 bake each)

- Arms next, this time using twisted tin foil (much more stable than the wire I had and the extra thickness means less sculpey needed - 1 bake each)

- Next I made the torso using a ball of tin foil, attached the arms and the legs and baked all of that

- Tin foil again, tried to make the whole head but couldn't get the mouth right so I made the bottom jaw and built up some of the back of his head (1 bake)

- Added a new section for the top of his head (tin foil, 1 bake)

- Tried to add both rows of teeth and failed, so added the bottom row (1 bake) and then the top row (1 bake)

- Joined the completed head to the body (1 bake)

- Made the ears (tin foil and wire combo)

- Added 1 ear to the head (to maintain balance), and also joined him to the stand (just a disc of sculpey)

...............DISASTER STRUCK!............ -_-

In this bake, the ear survived in place and was fine, but he snapped off at the ankle as the sculpey softened again :rolleyes:

- Figured I could only risk one more bake, so this time it had to be the full amount of time, and the full amount of heat. I had to build a rig out of a cooking pot, a large serving spoon and tinfoil; suspend him upside down in the pan, hovering so that the second ear didn't touch the bottom, but perfectly balanced so that the base with the detatched foot on it would sit perfectly on the broken ankle joint.

And amazingly it worked. Left him to cool and then painted with acrylics the next day.

All bakes were on 110° fan assisted for precisely 10 minutes, from cold (not preheated) apart from the final bake which was 130° for 15mins as stated on the box.

And finally, just to join in with Number 28, Sculpey is awesome stuff. How are you getting on with the firmer grey stuff? I read it's better for carving out of, rather than moulding by hand. Looking great already on the JSR skate.

Cheers for that walkthrough. I just had this awful feeling you somehow modeled it all in one go, and I was thinking, "how the...??" You have allayed my fears. :rolleyes: Some pretty speedy work there tho'...you haven't done much in the way of chiselling though i'm guessing?

All bakes were on 110° fan assisted for precisely 10 minutes, from cold (not preheated) apart from the final bake which was 130° for 15mins as stated on the box.

That's pretty much what I do... it's weird how it goes all bendy again the second time you bake it. I've had to prop things up in the oven too. Baking times are really something I have to perfect, because it really can make a difference as to how brittle it becomes, and that's important when it comes to sanding/cutting/chiseling the stuff.

And finally, just to join in with Number 28, Sculpey is awesome stuff. How are you getting on with the firmer grey stuff? I read it's better for carving out of, rather than moulding by hand. Looking great already on the JSR skate.

This skate is basically all i've done so far, but it's pretty much doing what it says on the box, although once in warm hands, it's not all that different really. But it is definitely easier to spot imperfections, which is more important I think - should help a lot. One other thing I noticed is, it doesn't seem to change colour if you overcook it. I accidentally left some in the oven for 30 minutes (oops!), and it actually looked the same when it came out. Rock solid mind, but that was actually a good thing for this particular part (the runners).

I'm thinking of investing in some dentistry tools...some 'pokey' thing.

Any idea what you might do next?