rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Number 28

The Sculpture Thread

I suspect Ristar is far too modest to start this thread, so i'll take this opportunity to kick off, and whore my latest piece...

Glottis!!

Glottisfinished.jpg

Glottis...Glottis...Is that a German name?

I'll get some better photos tomorrow with the white background.

Ok, now i'm hoping Ristar (or anyone) will take over, because it'll be a long while before my next piece. :)

Really nice!

What materials and tools are you using? I'd love to have a crack at doing some of my characters like this.

Thanks guys. :rolleyes:

I'm using good ol' Super Sculpey, which I buy here.

For modeling I use an old butter knife to cut the sculpey into the basic shape, and then I use my hands and one of these to model.

Just have a shot - i'll be happy to answer any questions if you're unsure. You can pretty much get away with anything with that stuff though, it's fantastic. :wub:

Btw, i'm open to suggestions on what to make next... maybe another GF character, maybe not. Bear in mind it can't be *too* complex. For obvious reasons, it's better to aim for simplicity and style over super-detailed realism.

Great job on the paint! the whole figure is rad!!! I'd say do something Nintendo-e next, lends itself well to simple/elegant design *looks at his wind waker link figure :D but maybe that's too boring.

Where's ristar?!!?!?!

That's fantastic Lozz. Does it have wire inside? I've no idea how you made that without it falling apart.

I'm not sure how i'd paint it either. Maybe just some subtle gradient work with an airbrush to bring out the highlights and keep the recesses dark.

I'm not that good at having spacial awareness, if that's any consolation, I am always banging my head.

It contains no wire, I simply started with a basic shape on the first day, left it uncovered in a cold room, so the clay hardened a bit but didn't dry out, then added more the day after, using slip and my powers, then left it another day, made the ears and let them dry out, and the day after, put them into the head.

That way, they were nice and light and didn't sag down. Then on the last day, I took a scalpel, and really shaped those angles.

I used my logical thinking. A rare and dangerous occurence.

I might just leave it blank. It looks real nice and pale in reality.

Yes, that does make it better, actually.

Also, it is really nice. I would prefer it unpainted, I think. I'm sure you could do a lovely job of characterising it with paint, but he looks good like he is. Au naturele, or something.

I can't believe I've never posted in this thread?

Well I may put the some of the older work in here but for now here's my new wooden model.

Totem_toy_by_MaP_MaP.jpg

It's my first attempt so kept it simple but I'm happy with him on the whole. Found it hard choosing colours knowing that half would later be scuffed but I'll hopefully learn the right balance as I go on :(

I can't believe I've never posted in this thread?

Yeah, it was pretty much made FOR you, ungrateful bitch! :(

Awesome work man. How did you scuff it? Sandpaper and/or files? I guess you've gotta be careful you don't take it all off by accident.

salWIP1.jpg

Without looking at the file name... :)

You gotta excuse the 'ham' appearance again. It'd been a while since I baked, and I forgot how easy this stuff burns. Will be fine with the paint on.

Cheers Farg. :hmm:

Dah daaaah

SalFIN.jpg

Like babies Manuel... Like babies...

Quite annoyed at how the colour came out. It's meant to be more olive green... as it looked on the tube. But still, VIVA LA REVOLUCIÓN!!!