IGNORED

Paul's Boutique 20th Anniversary Remaster

Venice Cull

I know there's a few lovers of it on this forum, so you'll be no doubt delighted about this:

Beastie Boys will reissue their epic Paul’s Boutique on January 27th to celebrate the album’s 20th anniversary. The classic LP has been digitally remastered for the first time, with all three Beasties overseeing the 24-bit process. The album’s original vinyl artwork will be restored in an eco-friendly, eight-panel digipak displaying a panoramic view of the intersection at Rivington and Ludlow in New York City’s Lower East Side. A foldout poster will also be included in the package, plus the reissue gives fans access to a free download of a “track-by-track” album commentary, with Mike D, Ad-Rock and MCA talking about the songs while the track plays in the background, much like Director’s Commentaries on DVDs.

Link

There's also rumblings of 'extra tracks' that will appear on the remaster. That said, as far as I'm aware every recording they made for that album has found it's way out (hell - I've got dodgy, sweary first passes of 'Shake your Rump') so I'm going to assume it'll be 33% God, Dis Yourself in '89 and all the usual 12" B-sides - but hey - you never know.

Going by the Beastie commentary on their DVD's I wouldn't expect any great insight into each track, so I'm tempering my enthusiasm here.

I'm more interested in the new mastering and glorious packaging to be honest.

Also Nate, I'll look into creating a ZIP file of Paul's Boutique curios, so I'll put a link up here at some point.

Yeah, the mastering's the main selling point for me. The existing CD recording that I have is one of those ultra-quiet 80s CDs, you know? It's one of those. It'll be good to have all the levels switched up, with a bit more bump and boom.

What actually happens during re-mastering? Are they going to re-balance the volumes and filter the samples to colour them up a bit from the master reels? Or go back to the original samples?

It's interesting because they can't stray *too* far from the original mix, because it's technically going to be the 'definative' version of Paul's Boutique, as in, this is the version that'll be bought by future generations.

So, as much as I'd like them to bring out MCA's lyrics on 'A Year and a Day' - it really wouldn't be right to do so...

I'm bugging out here. An eccentric mate of mine was hitting out with "there should be director's commentaries for classic albums" chat all over New Year there. What's more, he's a Beastie fanboy. His scalp must be in orbit at this news.

I hope you actually talk like this in real life, what a fantastic description.

What actually happens during re-mastering? Are they going to re-balance the volumes and filter the samples to colour them up a bit from the master reels? Or go back to the original samples?

No, remastering just means going back to the original mixdowns of the tracks, but re-EQing / compressing / limiting them. As other folk have said, the original CD comes from an era when popular thought was any digital audio recorded higher than about -12db was going to be distorted.

Did the whole sample-clearance issue with this album get sorted? I mean, I'm sure there are tons of samples in there uncredited. The writing credits on the reissue will be interesting.

I remember when it came out. My local record shop (Parrot Records in Harlow) had literally about 50 copies on vinyl of the Love American-Style EP a week after it came out, knocking them out at 50p. Piles of unsold copies of the album. I guess it was a hard sell after all the tabloid bullshit. I absolutely love the record, but Check Your Head probably edges it by a hairs breadth as my favourite Beasties album.

Ok, here's a few bits and bots for you that I've uploaded up Rapidshare (note, for the hardcore only - these really are just interesting snippets for PB nerds).

1.) 3 minute rule (early cut)

Different lyrics, different arrangment.

2) Eggman demo/early cut

Pretty much the same as the finihsed version, a little rougher and missing some samples.

3) Looking down the barrel of a gun.

Just a little rougher early take - you can hear much more of Floyds 'Time' sample right at the end though.

4) Shake your Rump demo

Pretty tight - I actually prefer a few of the lyrics from this version (Mike D's "if I was a car, I'd be Cadillac" springs to mind)

5). The Sounds of Science (early cut)

Pretty much the same, but towards the end the Dust brothers really go to town with the Beatles sample, scratching it up more and letting more of it play out.

6) Car Thief demo 1

Different lyrics and arrangement. Lyrics are more crude and sweary than the finished track.

7) Car Thief demo 2

(see above)

:wub:. I'm down.

Yeah, not from PB, but worth owning if you haven't got it (was missed from LTI due to sample issues).

Demos and shit.

Now here we go dropping science dropping it all over

Like bumping around the town like when you're driving a Range Rover

Expanding the horizons and expanding the parameters

Expanding the rhymes of sucker M.C. amateurs

Naugels, Isaac Newton Scientific E.Z.

Ben Franklin with the kite getting over with the key

Rock shocking the mic as many times times the times tables

Rock well to tell dispel all of the old fables

I've been dropping the new science and kicking the new knowledge

An M.C. to a degree that you can't get in college

The dregs of the earth and the eggs that I eat

I've got pegs through my hands and one through my feet

Shea Stadium the radium E M D squared

Got kicked out of the Palladium you think that I cared

It's the sound of science

Public service announcement time and money for girls covered with honey

You lie and aspire to be as cunning

Reeling and rockin' and rollin' B size D cup

Order the quarter deluxe why don't you wake up

My mind is kinda flowin like an oil projector

Had to get up to get the Jimmy protector

Went berserk and worked and exploded

She woke up in the morning and her face was coated

Buddy you study the man on the mic

D. do what you like

Drunk a skunk am I from the celebration

To peep that freak unique penetration

I figured out who makes the crack

It's the suckers with the badges and the blue jackets

A professor of science cause I keep droppin' it

I smell weed 'cause ya'll keep packin' it

People always asking what's the phenomenon

Yo what's up know what's going on

No one really knows what I'm talking about

Yeah that's right my name's Yauch

Ponce De Leon constantly on

The fountain of youth not Robotron

Peace is a word I've heard before

So move and move and move upon the dance floor

I'm gonna die gonna die one day

Cause I'm goin and goin and goin this way

Not like a roach or a piece of toast

I'm going out first class not going out coach

Rock my Adidas never rock Fila

*I do not sniff the coke I only smoke sinsemilla*

With my nose I knows and with my scopes I scope

What I live I write and that is strictly rope

I've got science for any occasion

Postulating theorems formulating equations

Cheech wizard in a snow blizzard

Eating chicken gizzards with a girl named Lizzy

Dropping science like when Galileo dropped his orange

http://paulsboutique.info/

Paul's Boutique : the book

Nah, it slaughters Hello Nasty. And I'm a massive Hello Nasty fan. Paul's Boutique is just on something else, though. It's miraculous. They couldn't do it again if they tried. I doubt any group could.

I'm not gonna call it best hip-hop album ever, but it's a top ten for me.

Cheers for the demos VC. Downloading them now.

Nah, it slaughters Hello Nasty. And I'm a massive Hello Nasty fan. Paul's Boutique is just on something else, though. It's miraculous. They couldn't do it again if they tried. I doubt any group could.

Ditto. Hello Nasty is all good, but Paul's Boutique absolutely destroys it.

I know this should be in ATF but it'll probably get lost in there.. Are there any decent books on the Beasties?

The link posted above with the Paul's Boutique book looked good but on seeing the book itself looks like it'll take 5 minutes to read.

Anyone know of a good Beasties biography? I've had a look on Amazon but there's nothing standing out. Most of the books on there are from other sellers and have no info listed.

Cheers

cubik

I know this should be in ATF but it'll probably get lost in there.. Are there any decent books on the Beasties?

The link posted above with the Paul's Boutique book looked good but on seeing the book itself looks like it'll take 5 minutes to read.

Anyone know of a good Beasties biography? I've had a look on Amazon but there's nothing standing out. Most of the books on there are from other sellers and have no info listed.

Cheers

cubik

There are a few, but they're all crap.

The best thing that the Beasties ever made, EVA, and no link? For shame Uncle Clive, for shame.

33% God

Anyone got this weird collection (that 33% God is on)? The Sure Shot (Large Professor Remix Clean) is outstanding. Have no idea how to share it though, if anyone is interested, you'll have to PM me or something!

I regularly drop science like Galileo dropped the orange... I wish I could have been cool enough to buy this when it ame out, however, I was 3. Don't know if I love PB enough to buy it twice, although yeah, it'd be nice to be able to hear it a little better. I'm not a diehard fan of the album but I can definitely see why some people are. Nobody could make a record like that today. Think of the clearance costs :lol:

I was reading somewhere that RUN DMC were sued (along with Apple and Yahoo and other digital music providers for hosting the track) for the use of 'My Sharona' in 'It's Tricky'....

....20 years later, folks. I doubt PB is completely immune. Wether all the samples were cleared or not seems to be forever surrounded in mystery. Personally, I doubt it. Especially the Beatles stuff in there.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the shits ON now. A variety of ways to purchase the remaster at Beastieboys.com - I think I'll go full fat for the 8 foot poster.

Anyway, you can download the artist's commentary from the site for free, and as expected you get a really deep insight into each track, how it was made - the ideas, explanations of the lyrics etc.

...hang on, no you don't. You get exactly what you expected - a bit of surreal banter about nothing in particular, and a couple of amusing anecdotes (egg throwing, and handing out turkey to tramps whilst on magic mushrooms).

So yeah, a missed opportunity but one that I was prepared for.