IGNORED

Best pub Roasts

The Liberal Elite

OK, so t his is basically a thread just so I can show off about how I had the best darned roast I've had for a while in a pub, but I'd like to hear people's recommendations for nice pub roasts. In london for me preferably, but I know that other people live in Not London, so maybe they want to pass on their own recommendations?

So, my award goes to The Stag in Hampstead - http://www.thestaghampstead.com/stag.html

Free range meat, loads of potatoes and veg and a sterling selection of english cheeses for afterwards.

Also, while i'm here, i'll say that on the other end of the spectrum, the Swiss Cottage in, um, Swiss Cottage, should be avoided at all costs. instant mash, frozen veg, yuck. I've been to Sam Smiths that do good food, and this isn't one of them.

more good ones, plx!

Don't murder me for asking this all you food experts, but what's the general opinion of those Toby carveries? We've eaten at them a couple of times because they're handy for where we live and also they're cheap as chips roasties. We've also found the beef and turkey to be tasty but the roast potatoes and veg can be hit and miss.

Don't murder me for asking this all you food experts, but what's the general opinion of those Toby carveries? We've eaten at them a couple of times because they're handy for where we live and also they're cheap as chips roasties. We've also found the beef and turkey to be tasty but the roast potatoes and veg can be hit and miss.

like you said, cheap is the main word - value for money on the whole.

for me, it does the job when you've got a monty hunger and don't want to splash on something fancy (which i've often found to be over-priced).

although, to be honest, it can be variable in quality like you said. hence why it's cheap. they pre-prepare everything and basically just keep warm using hot plates and then dish-up, which is why it's cheaper than 'posh' places which keep cooking accompaniments to order, but when you're just after a filling this is excellent.

to be honest, if i'm after a hulking great pile of food, i'll tend to do it at home, but if you haven't got the time/inclination, these are a good substitute.

and i'd imagine it's much better for families and those with littl'uns. much more hassle-free.

I've been to a couple of toby's (mainly Bexleyheath) and been impressed everytime. Good amount of meat which is well cooked, and lovely roast potatoes that are fresh out the oven and nice and crispy (an essential). Plus the veg is nice. Given how busy it is it seems they must constantly cook things so it pretty fresh out the oven. I've been to about 8 pubs around Bristol which are always more expensive that Toby and never had a roast with a decent bit of meat. Everytime the potatoes have been soggy and reheated in a microwave. The amoulnt of veg is always pathetically small as well. I would love a good pub in central bristol.

Pretty much every eating establishment near to me has converted to a carvery recently, ranging from £2.99 - £4.99.

It must make business snse to these places, guess its pretty easy and cheap to boil up industrial amounts of veg etc and get you to serve yourself but it's making it difficult to find a place that offers anytihng else.

• 2 weeks later...
My vote goes to The Crooked Billet in Wimbledon. Their roasted pork knuckle is what dreams are made of.

Ended up at the Billet this afternoon, remembered this thread and went for the pork knuckle.

That thing is bloody ENORMOUS! It was like a whole roast piglet with yorkshire pud, roast potatos and veg on the side. Couldn't eat that every week, but once a month or so you're right, it's what dreams are made of.

Had nothing for breakfast but a banana and haven't eaten anything else since and I'm still stuffed.

Anyone tried a roast at a Crown Carvery? £3.50 seems extremely cheap.

I visited a Crown Carvery when I was visiting my folks around Christmas time. They've been a couple of times and said it was nice, apparently the gammon is really nice but I never tried it. I stuck with the beef and that was good. Amazing value really for all you can eat roasts and veg.

Ended up at the Billet this afternoon, remembered this thread and went for the pork knuckle.

That thing is bloody ENORMOUS! It was like a whole roast piglet with yorkshire pud, roast potatos and veg on the side. Couldn't eat that every week, but once a month or so you're right, it's what dreams are made of.

Had nothing for breakfast but a banana and haven't eaten anything else since and I'm still stuffed.

Yeah my boyfriend who can eat for England could not finish it. I have never seen him not finish his meal.

Went to the Crooked Billet for dinner a few weeks ago and it wasn't as nice as the Sunday Roast. Maybe I ordered the wrong dish. However, the roast is amaaaazing!

• 8 months later...

Need to resuscitate this thread just to say that I tried a roast at the Stag in Hampsted and it was the nuts. I'm gutted I was so full up I couldnt try their homemade crumble. Next time :lol:

Thanks for the heads up Duncan!

Little visual reference of the lamb roast:

roast1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Yeah my boyfriend who can eat for England could not finish it. I have never seen him not finish his meal.

Went to the Crooked Billet for dinner a few weeks ago and it wasn't as nice as the Sunday Roast. Maybe I ordered the wrong dish. However, the roast is amaaaazing!

Right, went to the Billet for the pork knuckle the other week and it seems the place is under new management, or has a new menu at least.

Pork knuckle was nowhere to be found, and the new barmaid had never heard of it. The basic menu was a rather tepid creation of identi-kit portions of stuff. On a happier note, the Fox & Grapes roast is back to being excellent.

EDIT: I actually emailed the manager about the pork knuckle. He replied saying they do lamb and beef roasts on a Sunday and it's best to book 'several weeks' in advance. Bollocks, I was in there twice last month and there was plenty of room. The new menu sucks. Where the fuck is the pork knuckle!!?