IGNORED

Adams gaming conundrums No 17

Capwn

Adam Gamez Productionz are making a 3rd person shooter and a level is based on one of the most generic settings ever, an airport. How would you make it interesting? Any time setting or place allowed (within reason).

Every airport level I can remember playing in an FPS has been pretty good actually. I guess get 3rd Person Shooter designers to play more FPS games?

Annoyingly the only examples I can think of are the Airport in Perfect Dark and the Counterstrike maps cs_747 and de_747. There's more though, I'm sure of it.

How many other games have had airport levels? I wouldn't say it's that generic.

Anyway, Mafia did it fantastically.

I guess you could ride the baggage-belt and carts, or have to get your weapons through security somehow without setting the alarms off, or uder the tunnels that run under all airports and stuff. Not particularly interesting though.

Die Hard Trilogy had a good airport level :)

The only idea I have is maybe to incorporate something like COD4's plane level into it, maybe you fight through an airport then get on a plane, hide for a bit until it takes off and then kick some ass in the air...all without seeing a loading screen.

Airports are amaze. BRIEFCASES? CHECK. LUGGAGE BELTS? CHECK. POTTED PLANTS? CRASHED PLANE? CHECK I have spent the last year working on a game with a single airport environment. Fun times.

Left 4 Dead had a good one.

It's hard to make it not interesting.

Not true. It's more challenging than you'd expect.

I find everyday settings far more enthralling in a shooter/action game than some fantastical space shit or tomb. Sure, they can be fun, but what better than shooting the shit out of an office and wishing secretly it was your office? I usually enjoy airport levels as well.

The ideal airport level for me would involve:

Lots of destructibility. Imagine blasting through Duty Free and all the booze and Milka chocolates get shot to shit!

Luggage belts

Getting to see what's behind the luggage belts a la Die Hard 2

Planes landing and taking off as you fight around

Fighting through the terminal when a plane crashes through and obliterates everything and then you carry on fighting through the wreckage. :wacko:

I had the Die Hard 2 virtua cop alike level on a PS1 demo disk. I also had the PS Mouse which made it a lot more playable easier and fun. It was always worth shooting down that helicopter at the start I'm sure it gave you an extra bonus. I replayed that level over and over and over.

I've always wanted an action game set entirely in an airport - perhaps a Half-Life esque FPS or maybe a Die Hard-inspired sneakathon. There is a hell of a lot of variety inherent in airports. You've got lots of everyday locations like shops, restraurants and offices, plus lots of opportunities for giant machinery, mega set-pieces and expansive outdoor bits.

If they make Dead Rising 2, I think an airport setting would be awesome.

I had the Die Hard 2 virtua cop alike level on a PS1 demo disk. I also had the PS Mouse which made it a lot more playable easier and fun. It was always worth shooting down that helicopter at the start I'm sure it gave you an extra bonus. I replayed that level over and over and over.

It did, it gave you an extra baretta - but it was quite hard to shoot down if memory serves.

and yeah, there was a timed demo of die hard 2 on 'demo 1' that came with the ps1.

If they make Dead Rising 2, I think an airport setting would be awesome.

Oh defs. Imagine kicking a zombie off a jet through a metal detector, and then somehting on the zombie sets the detector off, so you shoot the zombie in the face, and then turn to the camera and say "that's 'plane' crazy!"

It did, it gave you an extra baretta - but it was quite hard to shoot down if memory serves.

I thought I got the demo off a coverdisk but maybe you're right. It wasn't that hard to shoot down you just had to be really fast (and have the mouse for easier aiming!!).