Coffee

Stilly

Thanks, both. I think I'm going to hold off. Seeing how long it's stayed in stock makes me hopeful that I can get one whenever I decide rather than having to rush into it. I don't really have the time to buy it, test it and sell it on if it's not producing notably better results than my current grinder, so think I'll hold off for the time being.

It seems that there are a load of Brazilian seasonal coffees at the moment. I've been splitting my coffee between Newground, when I can get there to pick some up, and Pact as a fallback, and the latter have 3 different Brazilian coffees, all natural process, which is a recipe for deliciousness. Slowly making my way through all of them.

• 1 month later...

This looks interesting, Pact coffee advent with 25 different brews !

They say it usually sells out fast, I do like trying out lots of new types not getting 250g to work thru

https://www.pactcoffee.com/christmas/pact-coffee-advent-calendar?utm_campaign=2261814_210928_AdventCalendar_Main_Winner_Store%2BTrialist&utm_medium=email&utm_source=dotmailer&pk_campaign=Paperplanes&pk_kwd=d71c9ef2-6bc8-4a81-bdea-ff2215de769e&dm_i=3Y9I,1CH86,7BWGD7,4VUPZ,1

18 hours ago, Chewylegs said:

Does everyone (or anyone) rate the Pact coffee then?

I don't think they do the very best coffee, but it's very good and they can't be beaten on price, I don't think. £7.95 for 250g of single origin (delivered) is cheaper than pretty much any other specialty roaster I've found. The subscriptions are also really flexible, you can change the delivery date, pause or skip in just a few seconds. I get more expensive bags and try other roasters here and there but the average cost of those other bags is £9-£11.

Does anyone use Hoffmann's aeropress method? I've been using it recently and it seems to always pull the paper up slightly. I can't tell if it's pouring boiling water into it or putting the plunger in (it happened just now and I didn't pull back on the plunger at all), but the paper gets pulled out of place and you end up with the water pouring out more quickly during the brew and then loads of grounds in the mug. Absolute disaster and it's happening more often than not, now.

Back in my Aeropress days, I always put the paper in the filter, then ran it under the tap briefly so it was wet, and repositioned it if required. An already wet filter won't flap around, and it also seems to protect against coffee dripping through before it's time to plunge. Seemed a more elegant solution that using the whole thing upside down, which was the vogue at the time.

I think I recall that some people pre-soak the filters, because it's more artisanal than just running it under the tap. They probably use holy water, or unicorn tears.

On 29/09/2021 at 16:46, Chewylegs said:

Does everyone (or anyone) rate the Pact coffee then?

I found them okay, I gave them a go after they did a Strava reward, but I much prefer Union for roughly the same price.

They just sent me a fiver voucher to unpause my sub again which I used, it’s fine for the office.

EDIT: Although thinking about it, a Union bag is 200g and Pact is 250g so not the same at all! :sherlock:

I think Union are probably the same in ballpark in terms of quality. I would rate Pact a bit higher, though. They rotate their coffees more frequently, I think. 

But yes, Union sell in 200g which makes them more expensive. 

I ended up with coffee from Wogan in the end as they make it around the corner from where I work.  First few uses of my V60 and I'm impressed with how nice it is tasting compared to my old Tassimo.  Less fuss (mess) than the cafeteire as well.

3 hours ago, Chewylegs said:

I ended up with coffee from Wogan in the end as they make it around the corner from where I work.  First few uses of my V60 and I'm impressed with how nice it is tasting compared to my old Tassimo.  Less fuss (mess) than the cafeteire as well.

Oh are you in Bristol? Worth giving Extract a go as well, their coffee is nice: https://extractcoffee.co.uk

On 02/10/2021 at 18:51, HarryBizzle said:

I think Union are probably the same in ballpark in terms of quality. I would rate Pact a bit higher, though. They rotate their coffees more frequently, I think. 

But yes, Union sell in 200g which makes them more expensive. 

I’m on the microlots with Union and the standard with Pact, I’ve bumped my Pact sub up so I’ll see what I think.

Does anyone rate Hoffman's Aeropress method? I tried it this morning for the first time and I'm wondering if I'm doing it wrong somehow because it's resulted in a really crap cup of coffee.

He says not to wet the filter and not to stir, just leave it with the plunger in for two minutes before swirling and then plunging.

I tried that and after two minutes, most of the water had already gone through the filter and the coffee I got at the end was really insipid. His video example seemed to still have most of the water in the aeropress before he plunged, and that's totally different to my experience. Maybe he's using thicker filters? I'm using the official Aeropress ones.

I normally wet the filter and stir, and that method seems to give more body and flavour than this one.

I use it but as above, have had issues when I don't wet the filter. He might be right that it isn't worth rinsing due to paper taste (as there's less paper than in a V60), but I have had the filter move if it's not prewet.

Did you end up with lots of grounds in your coffee or anything? I only have problems with the plunger not keeping water in if the paper has moved and there's a bypass. The other thing is you need to pour fairly aggressively so that you don't need to stir.

I find I have to grind a good bit finer with his method, but it results in what I think are higher extractions which remain balanced. I've moved back to aeropress as while I think the Clever makes lovely clean cups, the aeropress extracts that little bit more.

35 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I find I have to grind a good bit finer with his method, but it results in what I think are higher extractions which remain balanced. I've moved back to aeropress as while I think the Clever makes lovely clean cups, the aeropress extracts that little bit more.

I totally agree with this. It's why I moved back to the Aeropress, though I still use the clever if I need a giant mug of coffee, or if I'm making coffee for a couple of people.

I didn't get any grounds in my cup when I tried it, although I've only tried it the once. I'll give it a try (right now!) mostly using his method but wetting the filter first. Thanks for the help!

There's a bit of a knack when inserting the plunger so it creates a good seal and prevents the water dripping through the paper while it brews (might need to wedge the plunger at an angle). If any air gets in then the coffee will just drain. It's a bit of a faff and I ended up reverting to my usual inverted method. Couldn't really taste any difference between the two

I got a metal filter disc when I bought my Aeropress - partly because it's less messy and partly because I prefer it to the idea of bleached paper.

I've been very happy with it, but does anyone who has tried both prefer paper?

48 minutes ago, Skykid said:

I got a metal filter disc when I bought my Aeropress - partly because it's less messy and partly because I prefer it to the idea of bleached paper.

I use both, can't tell the difference

1 hour ago, Skykid said:

What's the issue with the paper? I've not tried a metal filter. I've heard paper gives a cleaner cup.

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

What's the issue with the paper? I've not tried a metal filter. I've heard paper gives a cleaner cup.

Not much more than I've said. Metal is dead easy to clean, won't ruin if it accidentally gets wet, doesn't tear (like has happened for you) and won't contain any bleaching agents (not that this is much of a problem).

It just seems more convenient to me, but I wouldn't call myself a taste connoisseur, so I'm interested in if people think there's a difference there.

For what it's worth, I regularly brew tea inverted in my Aeropress, and that works well with a metal filter too.

2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Thanks. I may give a metal filter a go if people can’t really tell the difference.

You may find yourself fishing it out of the bin the first few times. Habits are hard to break 😀

Back in the spring a guy I work with pointed me to a local roaster I had no idea existed. I've been using their Italian espresso beans for a while now, and while I tried going back to others, nothing really compares.

They're based out of a little cafe in Swansea called The Kardomah, which apparently was a big franchise all over the UK from the early 1900s to around the 1960s, but this is now the only one left. :)

I use a local these days too, although I think they have at least one other branch somewhere. I was actually using beans they imported but that seems to have stopped so now I'm working my way back through their own roasts to try and find a replacement.

I know there's some history of Italian ice-cream parlours in Wales, I wonder how much espresso came along with it.