rllmuk
Stilly

Coffee

I've got a bag of beans at the moment that I just can't seem to get a decent brew out of using my aeropress. Extraction seems ok but it just doesn't taste very good. I've tried the same stuff in my V60 and it tastes wonderful. It's a bit confusing.

The black Wilfa Svart (the good one) is out of stock absolutely everywhere. Our friends have said the newer Wilfa Uniform is better but at £250+ it seems quite pricy. My limit was £200 for a grinder. 

11 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

The black Wilfa Svart (the good one) is out of stock absolutely everywhere. Our friends have said the newer Wilfa Uniform is better but at £250+ it seems quite pricy. My limit was £200 for a grinder. 

Seems to be in stock at origin. £105 and a bag of coffee. 

https://www.origincoffee.co.uk/collections/grinders/products/wilfa-svart-aroma-grinder

• Upvote 1

8F1BD9F6-DE52-4622-B77F-351837F01238.thumb.jpeg.0701320f2930318e35839825c75c7dbd.jpeg

It’s much more even with the Wilfa grinder. But I’m not sure about the coarseness. I’m not sure what it should be for V60 but I’ve got it set halfway between the Filter and Aeropress settings. The “Filter“ setting seemed a bit coarse, while the “Aeropress” setting took quite a long time to filter, leaving sludgy cement-like dregs.

I’m still getting some flaky lighter coloured bits at the top, but I think that’s the coffee we’re using. And maybe from swirling too much at the end. This was an Origin coffee (San Fermin, Colombia). Previously we were using Square Mile “Muchagara” (Kenya), which I think was a lot nicer.

The white bits are just chaff from middle of the beans, most is removed after roasting but you always get a little remaining. You can also get more depending on the type of bean.

Play around with the grind settings little by little making sure to use the same amount of coffee and water at as close to the same temperature as possible. There isn't a perfect answer for the right grind because it'll come down to your own taste.

I’m away at the moment and have been enjoying some terrible brews with my Aeropress Go and KitchenProp hand grinder. 

Each cup tastes muddy and somehow both over and under extracted. Which is odd, because the grind doesn’t look horrendous before I brew it.