rllmuk
Stilly

Coffee

The shape is so it fits inside the Aeropress. 

Thanks, Blue. Currently scrolling through my local (very long) water quality report. 

• Upvote 1

I've got some fancy filters that fit a brita but tweak the water to be more suitable for coffee by adding minerals. 

It does make a noticeable difference. 

On 14/10/2019 at 11:16, morcs said:

Reading up - too much grind amount would have the effect of making it pull too fast. :omg: I still have work to do!

@morcs what grind guide are you using? I think I need to reset my technique. So far I have thoroughly cleaned and descaled the espresso machine, fitted a new gasket seal and shower head, taken the grinder to bits and given it a good clean and still my espressos have gone to shit and pull too fast. Beans are fresh, and I'm not sure I should be grinding much finer than I am. Basically I've ruled out all the tools so either my Silvia is fucked in some fundamental way or more likely this is operator error even though I bloody used to get this right every time.

15 hours ago, milko said:

@morcs what grind guide are you using?

Just Google :D I ran out of Formula Rossi so I had to go and buy some Starbucks beans, by my second attempt I'd nailed the grind settings and it's il cafe perfetto! I'm so happy. When my Formula Rosse arrives I'll have to start all over again :doh:

Rossi/e :lol:

Oh well, I read a few last night but I feel like I can't practice then as it'd be nuts to drink it. Mine's fucked still, but a tiny bit better this morning. I dunno it feels like I'm grinding incredibly fine already but backing off is absolutely not helping. Hm.

I’ve got a bag of Yigracheffe and a bag of their COTM Connoisseur blend on the way.  Looking forward to trying both. 

Formula Roger seems quite dark and geared toward espresso so have given that a miss.  

1 hour ago, milko said:

Rossi/e :lol:

Oh well, I read a few last night but I feel like I can't practice then as it'd be nuts to drink it. Mine's fucked still, but a tiny bit better this morning. I dunno it feels like I'm grinding incredibly fine already but backing off is absolutely not helping. Hm.

I am concerned about when I go back to Formula Rosti. With the Starbucks a grind setting of 9 means it really strains through and gets a nice crema. With the Formula Robbo I got down to 7 and it was still flying through like muddy puddle water.

30 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I’ve got a bag of Yigracheffe and a bag of their COTM Connoisseur blend on the way.  Looking forward to trying both. 

Formula Roger seems quite dark and geared toward espresso so have given that a miss.  

I don't see Yigracheffe.

Please tell me if anyone else has experienced this and explain to me why it happens. :D

With some of the best coffees I use from Algerian Coffee Stores, in the Aeropress, they fizz for a few seconds after pressing. A real effervescent fizz that is both visible and audible. I can't imagine why this would happen, but it does. :unsure:

On 17/10/2019 at 13:31, morcs said:

I am concerned about when I go back to Formula Rosti. With the Starbucks a grind setting of 9 means it really strains through and gets a nice crema. With the Formula Robbo I got down to 7 and it was still flying through like muddy puddle water.

Oh well now I'm wondering if it's an Algerian thing and my next experiment should be with other brands of beans. I've switched from Forum Russo to the next darkest but I cannot for the life of me stop a fast extraction, even with my triple-basket naked portafilter thing which uses masses of coffee.

Just cracked open my first bag of ACS - their Connoisseur blend. 

It’s quite nice. Surprisingly fruity, though and I’ve just finished a bag of very fruity coffee and really don’t fancy a fruity and tangy coffee right now. Will try brewing it slightly differently tomorrow. Nice, though. I sort of wish I’d tried one of their darker roasts, but they caught me off guard with their “medium” roast stuff. This is a light roast. 

@Blue I think that’s blooming, which is CO2 coming off fresh coffee, but I’ve never heard of it making an audible fizz. Does it stop as the bag gets older? It shouldn’t really happen 2 weeks after roasting, really. Probably less if you’re buying ground. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Just cracked open my first bag of ACS - their Connoisseur blend. 

It’s quite nice. Surprisingly fruity, though and I’ve just finished a bag of very fruity coffee and really don’t fancy a fruity and tangy coffee right now. Will try brewing it slightly differently tomorrow. Nice, though. I sort of wish I’d tried one of their darker roasts, but they caught me off guard with their “medium” roast stuff. This is a light roast. 

Ye gads, sounds genuinely awful. Time to see if you like a high roast methinks.

22 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

@Blue I think that’s blooming, which is CO2 coming off fresh coffee, but I’ve never heard of it making an audible fizz. Does it stop as the bag gets older? It shouldn’t really happen 2 weeks after roasting, really. Probably less if you’re buying ground. 

Oh, blooming. That's great, thanks. I'll keep an eye on it to see if it fades with time. Yeah it's audible from several feet away and if you're up close you can see all the little fizzbubbles jumping about 2cm above the surface. 

• Upvote 1

I cracked open the bag of Yigracheffe yesterday and I'm not particularly impressed. Have brewed it with both aeropress and cafetiere and it results in a pretty flat cup however I do it. I might just grind it all down and bring it to work for the filter machine we have, though the Aldi pre-ground stuff we get is honestly better while fresh.

I suspect they aren't particularly fresh beans. The blend, which they probably have a considerably higher turnover for (especially this month), is much better.

I've never liked Yirgacheffe, always tastes floral and very thin, I know its highly prized by coffee types who talk of it having a tea like quality, and its one of the original 2 types of bean, but not to my liking. 

I’m not a massive fan of it myself, but I’ve had good stuff before which was fairly nice and I thought it would be an easy way to compare roasters. 

Will probably try something different next time.

On 17/10/2019 at 13:31, morcs said:

Bizarrely when I switched back to Fortuna Rosso the grind was _way_ too fine, and I had to go all the way up to 15.

That was bang on for several days until this morning. Now it's back around 11.

I guess the burrs are moving or something :hmm: Still, it's been an awesome purchase, my coffee game has got so much stronger.

I watched that yesterday. James isn't such a big fan because he says the aeropress was already great to travel with, but that hasn't really been my experience. It's a bit ungainly and shoving it in a bag doesn't work very well. Whenever I've put stuff inside it, it's either fallen out, or my hand grinder's bin got really stuck inside the plunger and was a nightmare to get out. 

Having it all tidy away like that with a neat little clip case for your filters looks brilliant. Just get a small jar which I can carry 2 cups worth of ground coffee in (and that fits in there) and it's pretty much perfect.

2 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I watched that yesterday. James isn't such a big fan because he says the aeropress was already great to travel with, but that hasn't really been my experience. It's a bit ungainly and shoving it in a bag doesn't work very well. Whenever I've put stuff inside it, it's either fallen out, or my hand grinder's bin got really stuck inside the plunger and was a nightmare to get out. 

Having it all tidy away like that with a neat little clip case for your filters looks brilliant. Just get a small jar which I can carry 2 cups worth of ground coffee in and that fits in there and it's pretty much perfect.

Yes, my feelings exactly. I thought he completely missed the point in the video.

• Upvote 1

I can't help thinking there's a lot more caffeine released with a perfect grind. I was getting ready for a run this morning, had my usual two shots of espresso and this came on my headphones:

The combination made me feel RIDICULOUSLY PUMPED, at 06:30 in the morning in the dark.

Towards the end of my yirgacheffe bag I managed to get some decent brews out of it. 

Since then my second Pact bag has turned up - Planalto this time, a Brazilian coffee with “malt chocolate” as the flavour note. 

It’s lovely! No acidic fruitiness at all. Just strong and smooth. It’s a shame Pact don’t let you buy in bags larger than 250g. 

On 09/11/2019 at 12:43, HarryBizzle said:

Towards the end of my yirgacheffe bag I managed to get some decent brews out of it. 

Since then my second Pact bag has turned up - Planalto this time, a Brazilian coffee with “malt chocolate” as the flavour note. 

It’s lovely! No acidic fruitiness at all. Just strong and smooth. It’s a shame Pact don’t let you buy in bags larger than 250g. 

You can pick which one you'll get next out of the range of what they have, though. Planalto is something they always seem to have available. 

I've had to switch to decaf for a while and have found their decaf coffee is actually really quite good! The filter grind is a little too fine though, so I've switched it to coarse for next month which will hopefully rectify that. I assume that the extra process to extract the caffeine makes the beans a little more brittle. 

• Upvote 1