rllmuk
Stilly

Coffee

On 31/08/2019 at 11:38, redbloodcel said:

Tangentially if you want to experiment a little with your Aeropress and have an Android phone give Aerorecipe a go. 

Thanks. I had a look on the iOS store and there are similar ones which look good. 

I’m still umming and ahhing over either the Wilfa grinder or the Sage Dose Control Pro. I’ll probably just wait until we move house at the end of the month, at this rate. 

I bought some emergency beans from Morrisons today and they’re very dark and shiny. Like they’re oily. What causes this? Roast or how it’s grown? They taste ok. 

So I ordered my grinder as the place that had them on sale only had 2 left. Went for this one:

ZiFpXw2.jpg

It does espresso, but I won’t be using it for that. The main reason I got it over the Wilfa is that you can put the aeropress into it and grind straight into it rather than mess around with a bin. 

Just banged it on a setting between drip and plunger and made a cup and I’m over the moon with it. 9 seconds to grind up 17.5 grams, lovely and quiet and no boulders in sight. Produced the best cup of coffee I’ve had from my aeropress in ages on my first go!

Farewell, crappy handgrinder. 

• Upvote 3

Does anyone have a coffee subscription? I've been looking around and decided to give Pact Coffee a go, primarily because they do a £5 off your first order if you have a referral code.

They do blends for £6.95 a bag, £7.95 for single origins and £9.95 for microlots. I thought I might as well make the most of the fiver and get a microlot for £4.95, but I'll probably be downgrading that unless I'm absolutely blown away.

My referral code is HARRY-284E54 in case anyone wants a cheapish bag of coffee (I'll get a fiver off my next order as well).

I had a look at Union as well, but their bags are 200g rather than 250g so actually end up being a bit more expensive for their single origin range (£14.95 for 2 bags).

@HarryBizzle

I use pact and get the single origin stuff, ground for filter -  its all been delicious and has basically ruined other coffee for me. 

I've bought a couple more of the hario drippers and have one at work as well. Can't recommend it enough 

4 minutes ago, And said:

@HarryBizzle

I use pact and get the single origin stuff, ground for filter -  its all been delicious and has basically ruined other coffee for me. 

I've bought a couple more of the hario drippers and have one at work as well. Can't recommend it enough 

That's good to know. I got my bag yesterday and am really enjoying it but have already put my sub down to the single origin ones. Have you tried their house blend by any chance?

I also found out after placing my order that the £5 via referral code is probably not the best deal. If you go to this page they'll give you a free V60 and 40 filters. Bit annoyed I missed that! http://welcome.pactcoffee.com/pactartfinder/ (This isn't a referral link).

4 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

That's good to know. I got my bag yesterday and am really enjoying it but have already put my sub down to the single origin ones. Have you tried their house blend by any chance?

I also found out after placing my order that the £5 via referral code is probably not the best deal. If you go to this page they'll give you a free V60 and 40 filters. Bit annoyed I missed that! http://welcome.pactcoffee.com/pactartfinder/ (This isn't a referral link).

The house blend is also good, not as interesting as the single origin stuff as you get something different each week from the selection. the v60 was what i got, I now have 3. You can order them from Hario, they aren't expensive if you want/need one

• Upvote 1

On 06/10/2019 at 20:43, HarryBizzle said:

Does anyone have a coffee subscription? I've been looking around and decided to give Pact Coffee a go, primarily because they do a £5 off your first order if you have a referral code.

They do blends for £6.95 a bag, £7.95 for single origins and £9.95 for microlots. I thought I might as well make the most of the fiver and get a microlot for £4.95, but I'll probably be downgrading that unless I'm absolutely blown away.

My referral code is HARRY-284E54 in case anyone wants a cheapish bag of coffee (I'll get a fiver off my next order as well).

I had a look at Union as well, but their bags are 200g rather than 250g so actually end up being a bit more expensive for their single origin range (£14.95 for 2 bags).

Algerian Coffee Stores have single origin coffees that will blow your mind from £5 something. I get them ground because they have a wide variety of grind levels to choose from and they come in bags so thick and vacuum packed that they easily stay perfectly fresh for as long as you like. They offer beans too, of course and also have a limited time new single origin coffee for each month at £7 something for a 500g bag which have all been lovely. I haven't found better coffee anywhere and their service is great too.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Blue said:

Algerian Coffee Stores have single origin coffees that will blow your mind from £5 something. I get them ground because they have a wide variety of grind levels to choose from and they come in bags so thick and vacuum packed that they easily stay perfectly fresh for as long as you like. They offer beans too, of course and also have a limited time new single origin coffee for each month at £7 something for a 500g bag which have all been lovely. I haven't found better coffee anywhere and their service is great too.

This seems like a fantastic deal. Is that their “coffee of the month?” It doesn’t seem to be a subscription, just on offer every month, (which is fine, just checking I’ve got the right one). 

5 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

This seems like a fantastic deal. Is that their “coffee of the month?” It doesn’t seem to be a subscription, just on offer every month, (which is fine, just checking I’ve got the right one). 

Yes, coffee of the month. Seems like both October's are blends, one high and one medium roast. I don't use their subscription service, just buying every month, but must check it out. I always go for their high roast single origins. Are you a high or medium roast kinda guy?

46 minutes ago, Blue said:

Yes, coffee of the month. Seems like both October's are blends, one high and one medium roast. I don't use their subscription service, just buying every month, but must check it out. I always go for their high roast single origins. Are you a high or medium roast kinda guy?

I’m not sure, really. I’ve enjoyed all sorts of ones so far, particularly some fruity light roasts. 

Do you tend to order in bulk? You seem to have to order about 2kg to get free shipping.

6 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I’m not sure, really. I’ve enjoyed all sorts of ones so far, particularly some fruity light roasts. 

Do you tend to order in bulk? You seem to have to order about 2kg to get free shipping.

I tend to get 4 x 250g bags and a 500g coffee of the month if it's one I fancy. Didn't know they had free postage over 2kg, but I'm ok with the £4 postage. If you're in London you could just pop in for them. The shop is pretty amazing and well worth a visit.

This month I went for:

Algerian.JPG.b7e95696ee660c63a52b93568d53033f.JPG

I love their Brazilian Santos and Organic Peruvian. The other 2 are new ones for me so I started on the Blue Sumatra, which is exactly to my tastes i.e potent AF.

• Upvote 1

On 09/10/2019 at 11:56, Blue said:

I've just bought three bags from them. One each of the single origin blends from Ethiopia. I'm excited :D

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, snowbind said:

I've just bought three bags from them. One each of the single origin blends from Ethiopia. I'm excited :D

Ooh, I haven't tried their Ethiopian ones. Are they high or medium roast?

43 minutes ago, Blue said:

Ooh, I haven't tried their Ethiopian ones. Are they high or medium roast?

They are all medium :)

Little known fact: coffee is only natively found in Ethiopia. The Dutch colonised and controlled the coffee, whilst also keeping the profits. They gifted a coffee plant to the French, which is still in the French Botanical Gardens, which the French then used to seed coffee around the rest of the world and avoid their taxes. So until quite recently all none Ethiopian coffee came from the same plant. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, snowbind said:

They are all medium :)

Little known fact: coffee is only natively found in Ethiopia. The Dutch colonised and controlled the coffee, whilst also keeping the profits. They gifted a coffee plant to the French, which is still in the French Botanical Gardens, which the French then used to seed coffee around the rest of the world and avoid their taxes. So until quite recently all none Ethiopian coffee came from the same plant. 

I did not know that. :D

Must try a medium roast one of these days, but I don't hold out much hope. I like my coffee super strong.

I thought strength is more to do with dose and brew and roast is more to do with flavours? Darker roasts mask a lot of the distinct flavours you get from single origin coffees, as I understand it. 

• Upvote 1

I use Ferrari Rossa or something from Algerian Coffee Stores, was it @milko that got me on that? I've been through kilos of the stuff.

@HarryBizzle did you give up on hand grinding? I use a Porlex every day because I hate the noise and mess of electric grinders. Is your electric grinder pretty tidy though? I have a Gaggia Classic so portafilter which I guess yours would grind straight into.

Yeah, no way I’m ever going back to a handgrinder. Hassle and poor grind consistency have put me right off. I think a hand grinder which gives similar consistency to an electric burr grinder is about the same price, if not more. 

I get a tiny bit of ground coffee falling out of the grinder if I knock it but it has a removable tray so it mostly just falls onto that and then I chuck it. The noise doesn’t bother me at all. It’s really not that loud and I only have it going for about 6 seconds, though you’ll want about twice that for espresso. 

Towards the end of the video you can see him grind. He spills some but the timer has a pause on it. If you hit pause midway through your grind you can redistribute the coffee in your portafilter before popping it back in and carrying on. I think you should have a low chance of any mess with that. 

I just take the drip tray out and grind straight into my aeropress. 

Worth noting that if you want to be really exact about your dose this one only does 1 second increments on the timer which really isn’t enough. You could always weigh every time, or the Smart Grinder is meant to be very good as well. 

• Upvote 1

Formula Rossa I think. Or is it Formula Rosso? Definitely not Ferrari anyway! I use a Compak K3 grinder that I got for something of a steal via Germany, life is definitely too short to hand grind IMO and it’s quieter than the Dualit I had before anyway. 

I love going to Algerian Coffee Stores too, you can smell it from half way down the street. 

im having trouble getting a crema on my espresso at the moment though. Not sure if I’m fucking up the grind or the espresso machine part somehow. Given it a good descale and clean, short of replacing the gasket I can’t do much else. Clean the grinder out? It has got kind of sticky in the bowl from that Formula Rossa/o stuff. 
or maybe just more experiments with grind size and dose and tamping. But damnit i had this dialled before and didn’t change anything. 

I've more or less switched to drip in a huff at the moment. 

10 minutes ago, milko said:

Formula Rossa I think. Or is it Formula Rosso?

One of those :D I guess depends if it's male or female. I never remember because it arrives in a plain red sack. I must find the place when I'm in London next.

We could have an espresso meet! It’s in Soho, pretty easy to get to if you’re anywhere near the west end. 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, morcs said:

Is it this one?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sage-Dose-Control-Black-Truffle/dp/B07KZLHXY3/

Should I upsell myself to a smart grinder pro? :D

That’s the one I got. I bought it from this website though, as it’s cheaper:

https://www.ecookshop.co.uk/ecookshop/m/product.asp?pid=SCG600BTR

It’s worth having a look at the Smart Grinder. Judging from your exacting requirements elsewhere on the forum I’m worried you’ll buy this one and think it’s crap! There’s lots of good reviews of the Smart. I’m not sure if it grinds any finer, but it’s certainly something I’d look into if I were grinding for espresso. 

25 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Judging from your exacting requirements elsewhere on the forum I’m worried you’ll buy this one and think it’s crap!

Oh no! I'm one of those? :lol:

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

I thought strength is more to do with dose and brew and roast is more to do with flavours? Darker roasts mask a lot of the distinct flavours you get from single origin coffees, as I understand it. 

I don't know. I'm sure you're right. Whatever it is, I seem to like the high roasts.

1 hour ago, Blue said:

I don't know. I'm sure you're right. Whatever it is, I seem to like the high roasts.

What’s your drink of choice? I like black filter coffee but I do like darker roasts in espresso, though I drink it quite rarely. 

25 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

What’s your drink of choice? I like black filter coffee but I do like darker roasts in espresso, though I drink it quite rarely. 

I only like my coffee one way, which I guess is an Americano of sorts?

Filtered water from the Berkey, heated to 90 degrees.

Fill the cup to warm it then prepare the Aeropress, by which time the water in the kettle is around 85 degrees.

1 level scoop of something wonderful like Cuban Turquino Lavado, add water, stir for 20 seconds, plunge and top up cup from the kettle.

Just enough semi-skimmed milk to make that beautiful colour et voila! :D

9 minutes ago, Blue said:

I only like my coffee one way, which I guess is an Americano of sorts?

Filtered water from the Berkey, heated to 90 degrees.

Fill the cup to warm it then prepare the Aeropress, by which time the water in the kettle is around 85 degrees.

1 level scoop of something wonderful like Cuban Turquino Lavado, add water, stir for 20 seconds, plunge and top up cup from the kettle.

Just enough semi-skimmed milk to make that beautiful colour et voila! :D

Ah, you take milk! Darker roasts stand up to the milk better, I think. 

I’ll have to give that Cuban stuff a go, though. 

How much of an effect did the Berkey have on your coffee? I live in a hard water area and am seriously thinking about something to soften the water. 

27 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Ah, you take milk! Darker roasts stand up to the milk better, I think. 

I’ll have to give that Cuban stuff a go, though. 

How much of an effect did the Berkey have on your coffee? I live in a hard water area and am seriously thinking about something to soften the water. 

Yeah, I don't like black coffee at all. Berkey water is super lovely and it has made a noticeable difference to the coffee even though our tap water is already pretty good. I think even just removing the chlorine makes a difference. Our water is soft, but my understanding is that the Berkey doesn't remove the minerals, so I don't think it would necessarily make your water significantly softer. Gets rid of something like 99.999% of a huge list of shit you definitely don't want in your water though.

Seems Trump has put the keybosh on Cuban coffee now. Their Organic Bolivian is another perfect coffee, for me at least, if you fancy trying one of their high roasts.

Edit: Those Zero Water filters get rid of all minerals in water, which would obv soften your water, but it's not healthy water. Still, if used for only coffee, it would probably make a big difference to the taste.

• Upvote 1