rllmuk
Stilly

Coffee

29 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Bought an Aeropress yesterday.

My god it's amazing.

That plus Nude Espresso East blend and I'm done.

Man, that's a lot quicker than I got to grips with it. What method are you using?

I find everything except the basic method far too finnicky.

I've been using various M&S single origins recently and getting fantastic results with them. Haven't had a bag of Union in ages.

36 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Man, that's a lot quicker than I got to grips with it. What method are you using?

I've been using various M&S single origins recently and getting fantastic results with them. Haven't had a bag of Union in ages.

just the basic I think, scoop or two of beans in the grinder, then in the press, water on top, stir, then press for 40 seconds. Whole milk on top. 

I haven’t even looked at other recipes yet. 

Honestly I love it to bits, can’t believe the difference it makes. 

Yeah, that’s pretty much what I do. Except the milk. 

There’s also the inverted method which I think is supposed to be good if you feel your current method doesn’t offer enough opportunity to spill boiling hot coffee all over yourself. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I found the M&S coffees to be universally awful. Just completed my monthly order of S. American single origin coffees from the Algerian Coffee Stores. Their high roasts are beyond amazing.

4 hours ago, Blue said:

I found the M&S coffees to be universally awful. Just completed my monthly order of S. American single origin coffees from the Algerian Coffee Stores. Their high roasts are beyond amazing.

Their usual mass produced stuff doesn’t do much for me but they’ve started doing this hand roasted stuff which I like. It’s always out of stock, though. 

MT074Py.jpg

3 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Their usual mass produced stuff doesn’t do much for me but they’ve started doing this hand roasted stuff which I like. It’s always out of stock, though.

Oh, not sure I've tried these. What with the high standards of most M&S foodhall products, I was a bit incredulous at how undrinkable all of their coffees were. I'll give these a shot sometime, thanks.

10 hours ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

just the basic I think, scoop or two of beans in the grinder, then in the press, water on top, stir, then press for 40 seconds. Whole milk on top. 

I haven’t even looked at other recipes yet. 

Honestly I love it to bits, can’t believe the difference it makes. 

Forty seconds? :D Who has forty seconds to wait for coffee? I think the instructions call for a 10 second push, which works perfectly fine.

I once saw a video of some kind of Aeropress championships where people were employing all kinds of bizarre methods to impress the judges, when really, pouring water up to the 1 cup mark, stirring for 10 seconds then pressing for 10 seconds, produces a perfect and fuss-free cup of coffee.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Blue said:

Forty seconds? :D Who has forty seconds to wait for coffee? I think the instructions call for a 10 second push, which works perfectly fine.

I once saw a video of some kind of Aeropress championships where people were employing all kinds of bizarre methods to impress the judges, when really, pouring water up to the 1 cup mark, stirring for 10 seconds then pressing for 10 seconds, produces a perfect and fuss-free cup of coffee.

Haha, I have a lot of free time on my hands at the moment :)

I did read 20-40 seconds somewhere though.  I thought it was on the sheet that came with the press.

Just made my fourth one, it's fantastic.  I really wish I'd have got one earlier.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Haha, I have a lot of free time on my hands at the moment :)

I did read 20-40 seconds somewhere though.  I thought it was on the sheet that came with the press.

Just made my fourth one, it's fantastic.  I really wish I'd have got one earlier.

They really are great, I'm a big fan. As long as you put great coffee in, you get a great coffee out. Enjoy!

• Upvote 1

I think the inventor says just press gently, almost just the weight of two hands. This gentle pressure actually results in a quicker press, shorter wet time and sweeter coffee. 

• Upvote 1

I've been getting my coffee from these guys recently.
https://coffeegems.co.uk/

I've been buying it direct from a stall on my local market. He's super enthusiastic and always offers me a taste of something, it's not the cheapest but I don't have to pay for postage and it's always fresh roasted.

On ‎09‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 14:50, Blue said:

I wonder if this little gadget is any use with the Aeropress. Anyone tried it? I've used the metal filters occasionally but invariably they end up being inadvertently thrown away with the coffee grounds. I can highly recommend using these natural, non-bleached filter papers. I do think they improve the flavour.

I hate the metal filter I have, it lets so much sludge through.  I only keep it as I always forget to order new filters.

Anyone got a Wilfa Svart grinder? I’m thinking about getting one bit am just wondering about the noise. 

Was so busy looking at those expensive hand grinders that I didn’t realise you could get a great electric one (so long as you don’t care about espresso grind) for less. 

I've recently began to drink coffee as much as I once did. I never graduated to beans and grounds back in the day but I did use a cafetiere and an espresso percolator on the hob. I've recently bought myself both a Dolce Gusto and a magimix nespresso with aeroccino. I know there are much better ways to enjoy my coffee again but at the minute these really fit the bill, I have nice shot from the nespresso in the morning then some frothy business or Dolce thing throughout the afternoon. Very convenient.

I was recommended coffee syrup for my frothy concoctions, I don't take sugar in my normal coffee but I'm not averse to a touch sweetness beyond the milk in my latte. The one I was recommended is sugar free https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GQJ4Q5Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and I can tell. I don't really like it, it's the same with sugar vs sweetener.

Can anyone recommend a nice syrup that doesn't use an artificial sweetener? 

3 hours ago, Chooch said:

I hate the metal filter I have, it lets so much sludge through.  I only keep it as I always forget to order new filters.

Yes they do, although I've read they also allow the desirable oils through that the filter papers don't. I'm with you though, the less sludge the better.

On 16/08/2019 at 15:21, HarryBizzle said:

Anyone got a Wilfa Svart grinder? I’m thinking about getting one bit am just wondering about the noise. 

Was so busy looking at those expensive hand grinders that I didn’t realise you could get a great electric one (so long as you don’t care about espresso grind) for less. 

@redbloodcel has just bought one - it didn't seem as loud as my gaggia burr grinder.

• Upvote 1

On 16/08/2019 at 15:21, HarryBizzle said:

4 hours ago, Gaz said:

@redbloodcel has just bought one - it didn't seem as loud as my gaggia burr grinder.

Yeah it's really not bad in terms of volume, and it's also incredibly fast so what noise it does put out doesn't last very long! 

• Upvote 1

Thanks. I'm very keen to get one but have told myself I have to get rid of my Nespresso machine first as I've got too much clutter on the kitchen work tops.

Someone broke the filter brewer we have at work, which was just a basic filter one but produced some great coffee and they've brought in a Tassimo to replace it. :doh: I tried the Costa Americano pod this morning and it was the most disgusting excuse for coffee I've ever tasted. Couldn't have more than two sips of it before chucking it.

I bought a Svart back in April to replace an old Krups burr grinder and I've been really happy with it. The grind adjustment seemed to have a sticking point at first and I found the bean container hard to remove in order to wash it once I first purchased the machine but once I managed to release it I have no trouble since. 

The container for the grounds is the only real negative. Instead of a simple bin its got little grooves on it which means that it can be slightly awkward to empty. Its not a deal breaker by any means but I figured its worth mentioning. 

The noise isn't bad and it only takes around 10 seconds to grind enough for the Aeropress. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I’ve heard the bin is a bit crap but the device looks so much better than the Baratza that I think I can live with that. 

You know when you don’t have enough coffee making devices (pretty sure that’s what Tracy said anyway....) well my folks got given a posh Moka pot from relatives in Italy but didn’t work on their induction job so they bought another one out there and gave me the original one - it’s a fun way to make coffee, haven’t got my setup dialled in yet but seems to be more on the espresso side than filter if that makes sense!

I gave my grinder away (Krups) as I hadn’t been using it since getting a bean to cup but may need another grinder now...

On 16/08/2019 at 17:17, amc said:

I've recently began to drink coffee as much as I once did. I never graduated to beans and grounds back in the day but I did use a cafetiere and an espresso percolator on the hob. I've recently bought myself both a Dolce Gusto and a magimix nespresso with aeroccino. I know there are much better ways to enjoy my coffee again but at the minute these really fit the bill, I have nice shot from the nespresso in the morning then some frothy business or Dolce thing throughout the afternoon. Very convenient.

I was recommended coffee syrup for my frothy concoctions, I don't take sugar in my normal coffee but I'm not averse to a touch sweetness beyond the milk in my latte. The one I was recommended is sugar free https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GQJ4Q5Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and I can tell. I don't really like it, it's the same with sugar vs sweetener.

Can anyone recommend a nice syrup that doesn't use an artificial sweetener? 

I've just ordered a load of Monin syrups. They're well reviewed, and you always see them in coffee shops, so I presume they taste good. 

Yeah funny enough I took delivery of some Monin syrups and Monin pumps today. Just having a cafe au lait with a splash of hazelnut syrup as I type. Tastes pretty rad.

The aeropress was invented by the same guy who invented the aerobie flying disc. :mellow:

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Plums said:

The aeropress was invented by the same guy who invented the aerobie flying disc. :mellow:

Indeed. As I understand it, he invented the Aeropress because the Aerobie flying disc was really terrible at making coffee.

• Upvote 1

On 08/08/2019 at 23:46, HarryBizzle said:

Tangentially if you want to experiment a little with your Aeropress and have an Android phone give Aerorecipe a go. 

• Upvote 2