Stilly

Coffee

My in-laws have a Tassimo and it’s shocking. Fussier than nespresso, even more waste and poor coffee. They’re so proud of it, though. 

18 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

I had a Tassimo and it’s better than instant, that’s it tho. Nespresso is actually decent, best pod machine by a mile - my bean to Cup makes a better cup again and is vastly cheaper to run and no eco concerns...

Maybe it’s changed as pods have gone third party since I last looked but I worked out it would be under a year to pay back the difference in a decent nespresso & pods vs Bean to cup & beans but pretty sure pods are a fair bit cheaper now so maybe a longer pay back time.

I did some sums and the bean to cup is cheapest. I’d be prepared to spend the £260 for the cheapest DeLonghi but I can’t afford the counter top space. 

The AeroPress uses about 17g of coffee so if you’re using decent stuff works out to about the same as a Nespressso pod, IIRC. 

Can anyone recommend a good cheap coffee grinder? We make coffee with a Hario drip filter and with a Moka pot. I don't mind either a hand grinder or electric. I'm assuming the £20 ones on Amazon are a bit shit. Are they?

Actually, I had an electric grinder before (I don't remember the brand) but I couldn't get a fine enough grind for the Moka pot.

On 18/10/2018 at 23:30, Mrs Horribleman said:

What's a good bean to cup small and cheap if possible

None are small, they have to be a fair size to incorporate a grinder, tamper and espresso pump etc - DeLonghi is about as cheap as they go so depends if 250-300 is the cheap end of the scale or not!

On 19/10/2018 at 13:10, HarryBizzle said:

I did some sums and the bean to cup is cheapest. I’d be prepared to spend the £260 for the cheapest DeLonghi but I can’t afford the counter top space. 

The AeroPress uses about 17g of coffee so if you’re using decent stuff works out to about the same as a Nespressso pod, IIRC. 

It’s a fair point but I don’t think my tassimo took up much more room esp with the thingie I had to store pods that sat next to it! Either system takes up a similar extra bit or worktop.

I've fully converted from Nespresso to pour over, mainly due to feeling absolutely terrible about all the plastic pod waste you get using espresso pods daily. 

I'm using this coffee gator at the moment:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06VX3Y9L3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Zwy0Bb7R6PXAS

My question is, will I really notice a huge difference grinding my own beans, vs. buying preground coffee from Tayor's (for instance).

Does anybody have any recommendations for places to buy preground coffee that's the perfect consistency for pour over coffee?

Fresh grind makes a big difference, but you either have to pay a packet (and surrender counter space) to get a decent electric burr grinder, or hand grind. I hand grind at home for Aeropress; it’s fine when just one person wants coffee, but not practical for multiple people.

If you’re going for pre-ground, you’ll get much fresher stuff from a mail-order small-batch roaster than from the likes of Taylor’s, and they’ll offer a variety of grind options. HasBean used to be good, and probably still are - I use York Coffee Emporium, as it’s local to me. I order pre-ground for my American Press at work, and it’s usually only a few days old - e.g. roasted on Monday, arrives on Wednesday. 

Thanks, I'll have a think.

I did use Pact for a little while, perhaps I'll try them again for a bit. Their coffee was always nice in a cafetiere, but I never ordered their pour over.

3 hours ago, Isaac said:

I've fully converted from Nespresso to pour over, mainly due to feeling absolutely terrible about all the plastic pod waste you get using espresso pods daily. 

I'm using this coffee gator at the moment:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06VX3Y9L3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Zwy0Bb7R6PXAS

My question is, will I really notice a huge difference grinding my own beans, vs. buying preground coffee from Tayor's (for instance).

Does anybody have any recommendations for places to buy preground coffee that's the perfect consistency for pour over coffee?

I grind my own at home but at work I use Union Roasted Cafetiere grind. They sell a few different varieties in Waitrose and they have usually been roasted and ground within the last few weeks.  

You can also buy coffee from them direct, which means that they will have been freshly roasted and ground before they are put in the post. If you only order two bags the package fits through the letter box.

We got a Hario hand grinder in the end. I can’t get the coarseness quite right yet (for a drip filter). It’s either too coarse and ends up a bit sour, or too fine and turns to a cement at the bottom of the filter.

58 minutes ago, mindgames said:

Would you recommend these? I quite fancy getting on for the same reason.

Yes, I've been using it every morning and it's been great.

I used to have one of those plastic drip coffee things that took paper filters, which was also good, but I got tired of the waste and having to constantly buy filters. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Yes, I've been using it every morning and it's been great.

I used to have one of those plastic drip coffee things that took paper filters, which was also good, but I got tired of the waste and having to constantly buy filters. 

Cheers. Do you use the special kettles to keep the temperature perfect?

9 hours ago, mindgames said:

Cheers. Do you use the special kettles to keep the temperature perfect?

Not bothered with that yet. I just use a normal kettle, bring it to boil, then give it about 60 seconds before pouring.

Not as accurate, but makes a great coffee regardless.

• Upvote 1

I always buy Starbucks espresso beans for my old Gaggia espresso machine. I've tried a few others but I really like the taste of the Starbucks ones.

I've noticed that the beans are very different to others. The Starbucks ones are much much darker and more shiny/oily. They're easier to grind but leave much more oily residue compared to the super dry beans that everyone else seems to have.

I'd like to find alternatives though, does anyone know any other bean providers that do something similar?

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Very fruity, acidic and with a complex, almost fermented flavour.

I never really understand these descriptions, out of interest how would you describe Starbucks espresso (i.e. the flavour I like)? I guess to coffee afficionados it's something like "Acrid, bitter flavour" :lol:

39 minutes ago, morcs said:

I never really understand these descriptions, out of interest how would you describe Starbucks espresso (i.e. the flavour I like)? I guess to coffee afficionados it's something like "Acrid, bitter flavour" :lol:

Burnt! :) 

• Upvote 2

You aren't getting these sort of flavours from espresso tho really, especially Starbuck's. 

Like, I'm not being pretentious, there's a difference between a naturally processed etheopian bean and a dark roast columbian or whatever. 

• Upvote 1

yeah, if you're making espresso you generally want a dark roast and all that. Now I'm messing more with pour-over I should probably run two different beans but I actually find my regular ones quite versatile in that sense and I don't have to worry about the grinder having bits of each.

I use Algerian Coffee Stores on Old Compton St because their Formula Rosso is reliably great (to my taste at any rate) and pretty nicely priced compared to anything I've found comparable. I haven't done an online order but they do have a site if you're curious https://www.algcoffee.co.uk/