Demon's Souls - remake's OUT - mindful of the spoilers, please!

robdood

Ooh bwt? How long till? :P

I dunno.

There's a rather lovely 'thank you' message when you boot it up. :(

In other news: BP Satsuki just murdered me! I wasn't expecting him, and he bum-rushed me as soon as i entered the level. I was fumbling with my set-up and he killed me with 2 hits! :(

@ Alan - Nope, you can exit, then return whenever to take on the boss. Just remember to check out the area where that blob landed - loads of goodies down there. :omg:

The Asian server is running a '1 Year Anniversary - Black Valentine' event at the mo'.

Atlus had an even split on the voting for WT, so the US servers are running PWWT til Tuesday, then PBWT til weeks end.

Grab those tendancy events while ya can. Just steer clear of 5-2, unless you've got back-up. :P

I can't believe the game has been out a year already! Kinda makes my 800+ hours playtime, seem more reasonable...or maybe not. :(

I saw the message, but when I look at the tendancies in the menu, they all look white to me?

EDIT - cheers Curtis for the Tower answer

Got to the end of 3-2 now, and tried the boss a few times... when I started making some progress... boom - two of him! Erk! My Soul Light only damages him a wee bit and most of his attacks are 3/4's health off in one go, looks like this is one I'll have to try again when I'm a bit harder! At least I figured out good techniques to get to the boss fast, only having to kill one enemy on the way, sure beats 5-1!

Now I'm wondering which world is easiest to do next - I can't remember how long ago I tried these. The bosses I'm stuck on are 2-2, 3-2, 4-2 and 5-1, I'm soul level 36 and my stats are evenly balanced - I use Soul Arrow/Light and have only a few decent hand to hand weapons plus a big shield. I need to go solo but I'm trying to avoid loads of retries, I just don't have the gaming time at the moment! So any advice from the vets as to which of those bosses you'd pick first would be appreciated :(

If you can make it to the 4-2 boss unscathed, then fine.

Obvious choice would be the Flamelurker in 2-2. His soul, which you need to give to Ed, opens up all the special weapon upgrade paths.

If you need help, gimme a shout, i'm pretty sure i have a low level character on the Asian server.

Cheers guys, I'll give 4-2 a go again. Last time I was having issues on that damned cliff with the skellies, I need to go grab the Theif's ring and tool up. If I can't do that I'll try Flamelurker again, I haven't been back to him since the very early days. Thanks for the offer of your services Curtis, I shall give you a shout if I get really stuck!

Started playing this a couple of nights ago and it's absolutely excellent. Just finished 1-1 and thoroughly enjoying it.

Started off as a Knight which has served me well so far but he's not the most agile of beasts. :lol: I'm guessing I need to think about getting some sort of ranged weapon or spell for him soon as he has no distance attacks at all. So far I've just given all my hard-won souls to the Maiden to buff him up a bit.

There were also some bits in 1-1 that I got absolutely mullered on so I'm saving those to come back to (the rock-hard guy with the charge attack on the bridge, and the executioner-type guy you meet if you go left down the side of the first bridge). Probably missed loads too. Though I did find the Cling Ring.

Early days, early days...

Bloody hell.

Kind of understandable, though. This is the only game that makes me really want a PS3.

I bought one for it.

Worth every penny.

Got invaded and murdered this weekend. Shat myself and panicked - BOOM headshot :lol:

I'm on my first play through as a mage, what should I be upgrading? (haven't done any upgrades at all yet).

Indeed. But in the very early stages, while souls are in short supply, if you're primarily using magic, you really should've chosen a Royal for the Fragrant Ring.

But i suppose if you do run out of MP, you have no other option but to melee, and that's a good thing in a way - avoids total spamming!

I'll shut up now! ;)

The only bits of kit I've equipped has been the cinch ring and schimitar so far, I've been savingy flame bolts for blue knights and those fire wielding gits and cleared 1-1 with no spice or firebombs left.

I saw most people started a royal and fancied being a bit different, is that going to bite me later on?

I could really use some help on what to upgrade etc Im afraid of shaftimgyself further in. Should I buy spells or armour at the moment or upgrade any particular stat, for instance will I need a better strength stat to use that sexy purple flame shield that's beckoning me to use or what?

Late to the party goty!

For a Magician, i'd recommend beefing up Vitality, Endurance and Strength to begin with. Standard stuff really.

Once you have a decent weapon & shield sorted, and wanna play as a proper Mage, then concentrate on upgrading Magic and Will/Intelligence for more spell power and slots.

Just see how ya get along. You can change up the way you play/approach the game, at any time, that's the beauty of it. ;)

Can't emphasize this enough- read the demon souls wiki- its confusing and overwhelming at first but you'll soon have an idea of what to upgrade and which general direction you want to take.

I'll give you a quick rundown of what I did with my first royal character to give you an idea of how you should plan out how to generally upgrade- but on your first playthrough you can get away with experimenting a bit anyway so don't worry too much.

Early levels I levelled up magic, will/intelligence, strength (to 14 then stopped, will explain why) and a few random points into endurance and vitality but not much- the odd rare one. For 1-1, 1-2, 2-1 2-2 etc I used soul arrow on pretty much everyone- magic is really effective on these levels. I didn't used the purple flame shield because I would have had to put my strength up to 22 which would have been a waste for my character as I was going to make them magic heavy. I did not upgrade any weapons or anything as I mainly relied on soul arrow. For a shield I picked up the dark heater shield plus 2 in 2-2 which is a good little shield early on for low strength users.

I then went to 4-1 (with curtis and imp so it made it much easier) and managed to get the kilij which is next to vanguard. There is also a crescent scimitar plus 1 which is pretty good until you upgrade the kilij. You only need 14 strength to use the kilij and then you can upgrade it with darkmoonstone or moonlightstone which feeds bonus damage off your magic stat. So then you can have a melee weapon and make it stronger while also increasing your magic power. I also began putting points into endurance and the like because I was finally using a melee weapon which eats up stamina!

Anyway, that character is lv 105 now and part of Team Kilij and has come a long way ;) but I learnt that whole direction from the wiki more or less with tips from some guys here. Read around there a bit and see at where the classes can go and you'll get a good idea of what you want

Top Tip: It's worth investing in the Magic/Enchanted Weapon spell. It costs 5000 souls, but is very effective against all enemy types in the early stages of the game.

That's until you have your chosen weapon to +6 and can unlock the Moon or Crescent paths, which are the ones you wanna go for if you're staying magic based.

Top Tip: It's worth investing in the Magic/Enchanted Weapon spell. It costs 5000 souls, but is very effective against all enemy types in the early stages of the game.

That's until you have your chosen weapon to +6 and can unlock the Moon or Crescent paths, which are the ones you wanna go for if you're staying magic based.

Ah yes, this too!

Also once you recuse ze sage in 3-1, keep the soul from the Tower Knight boss and cash it in for Total Protection- I needed it especially as I had put lots of points into magic/will and couldn't wear heavy armour and didn't have high vitality. It takes up 3 slots but is really useful in your first game especially

Ah yes, this too!

Also once you recuse ze sage in 3-1, keep the soul from the Tower Knight boss and cash it in for Total Protection- I needed it especially as I had put lots of points into magic/will and couldn't wear heavy armour and didn't have high vitality. It takes up 3 slots but is really useful in your first game especially

It only takes up 2 slots. But yes, get it, it's indispensable for your first time through.

Has anyone managed to visit the area to the left down the first stairs you come to on 1-1? You can see it from the initial walkway, there's treasure there. I spent ages trying to find a way to get there, got annoyed and checked the Wiki - apparently it only opens if the world is at full Black or White tendancy... talk about ridiculous insanity... anyway, the Asian servers are supposed to be all-black at the moment aren't they? If so, why isn't the damned gate open?!

Here's the map of 1-1 that says that:

http://www.geocities.jp/kouryakubo/ds_en/chart/chart011.html

Finally got the Thief's ring after much faffing and again resorting to the Wiki, didn't realise it was on a raised platform... with no indication you can vault the wall - another piece of crap bit of design... so spent ages hunting around for it! Of course, now its equipped it doesn't seem to do anything, the icon is there but the enemies seem to be able to see me fine. I tried unequipping everything else as the Wiki said some things affect your visibility, but still no joy. This was tested on 4-2.

Has anyone managed to visit the area to the left down the first stairs you come to on 1-1? You can see it from the initial walkway, there's treasure there. I spent ages trying to find a way to get there, got annoyed and checked the Wiki - apparently it only opens if the world is at full Black or White tendancy... talk about ridiculous insanity... anyway, the Asian servers are supposed to be all-black at the moment aren't they? If so, why isn't the damned gate open?!

Here's the map of 1-1 that says that:

http://www.geocities.jp/kouryakubo/ds_en/chart/chart011.html

Finally got the Thief's ring after much faffing and again resorting to the Wiki, didn't realise it was on a raised platform... with no indication you can vault the wall - another piece of crap bit of design... so spent ages hunting around for it! Of course, now its equipped it doesn't seem to do anything, the icon is there but the enemies seem to be able to see me fine. I tried unequipping everything else as the Wiki said some things affect your visibility, but still no joy. This was tested on 4-2.

The world tendencies aren't too difficult to get if you know the innies and the outies required.

For Pure White, kill yourself in the nexus (so you can't get negative tendency through death within the levels) and kill the various demons within the levels. For level 1 you can kill the bosses and the dragons.

For Pure Black, eat an ephemeral stone and then kill yourself in the required level. Over and over again (about 3 or 4 times from neutral).

DO NOT save it in the nexus if you want to keep your tendency; all levels' tendencies reset to neutral if you do so. The Asian tendency thing seems to have ended, I see.

Finally got the Thief's ring ... didn't realise it was on a raised platform... with no indication you can vault the wall - another piece of crap bit of design...

Agreed. Luckily someone had left a message at the spot but TBH from the layout of the level that IS the best bet for getting on that platform. But yeah, seems very inconsistent, that little wall vault-over.

Down the LHS of 1-1 lies Executioner Miralda. Good luck with that. Amazingly, below her in that tower is a full set of brushwood armour which has made my early game much easier. Getting it was a total fluke however, Miralda swung at me as I entered, and I just rolled forward and landed on the beams and had 3 very lucky accidental falls onto lower beams. Wouldn't want to try and repeat it!

One of the reasons I love this game - my mate was watching me play, it was a proper 'holy fuck!' moment! :o

Agreed. Luckily someone had left a message at the spot but TBH from the layout of the level that IS the best bet for getting on that platform. But yeah, seems very inconsistent, that little wall vault-over.

In response to what Alan Stock said as well, that isn't bad design! There are lots of little hidden nooks and crannies in the game that you're either meant to find your own way there or get tips from other players. It rewards exploration and wondering how to get to difficult spots- it's part of its good design. Although if it took about 10 hours to get the thiefs ring rather than your first run of 1-1 I can understand why some might think that :o You can vault it but you can also roll over the edge- I didn't know about the vaulting either the first time so I just experimented and got over! Was fun to discover that

In response to what Alan Stock said as well, that isn't bad design! There are lots of little hidden nooks and crannies in the game that you're either meant to find your own way there or get tips from other players. It rewards exploration and wondering how to get to difficult spots- it's part of its good design. Although if it took about 10 hours to get the thiefs ring rather than your first run of 1-1 I can understand why some might think that :D You can vault it but you can also roll over the edge- I didn't know about the vaulting either the first time so I just experimented and got over! Was fun to discover that

Sure thing - from the level design there was no more likely spot than that, so in a way that's good design. But I agree with Alan too - the rest of the wall is the same height and yet that's the only spot that works like that. Inconsistency like that IS a design sin.

Let's face it, it's a flippin' small wall, no reason any of those walls shouldn't work that way, anywhere in the level. Small walls that a 4 year old could climb but videogame characters can't are one of the worst 'deadly sins' in Game Design. You still see it in games all over the place.

As far as I know that's the only place (so far) that I've come across like that in D'sS - I take it there's others then? :o