Demon's Souls - remake's OUT - mindful of the spoilers, please!

robdood

I don't know if I can continue with this. I have just had the most frustrating lunch time ever.

Basically I have killed phalanax and that is it. I managed to do some of 4-1 with the rolling skeletons and get the Katana. But I have been killed so many times now and used so many herbs I have no souls and no herbs left. I have tried each of the zones and found the following

1-1 or 1-2 they are both the same just different starting points. I can kill the mobs easily got to some giant satue armour dude and one swipe killed me. I have to then face running under all the fucking fire from the dragon again and get 1 hit killed if I make a mistake just to see if I can work out how to hit him. No thanks

2-1 orange level on the gantry starts with the falling rocks. I can kill the dudes but it takes ages just to get to the first fire caster dude. So gave up on that

3-1 I got up to some tentacled headed dude who one shotted me erm ok

4-1 rolling skeletons area i got the katana and can kill them for the most part but 50% of the time they nail me. Got to the mini boss there who again one shotted me

5-1 with all the planks. Man that is the most frustrating level ever. One mistake and it is back to the start.

Personally I get what they are trying to do but they could have been a little more forgiving. Would it have been so hard to let you grab onto edges of stuff before falling? Or to have a hint system? Or to keep the state of all your death points (unless you leave the area) so you can collect all the souls from all of your deaths?

I'll try again tonight or tomorrow but at this rate it is not looking good. Having 0 souls and no clear way to progress is making it seem less like a fun pastime and more like a job :(

I was in a similar situation after 7 or 8 hours of play. I spent all my souls on armour I wasn't strong enough to use properly, and was struggling with 1-2 and all the other levels I tried. So i restarted from the beginning, made sure to spend my souls early on, concentrating on leveling up :) Also playing through levels with other players is a great way of making money and figuring out what to do. 2-1 was causing me a lot of problems until i played with a guy who let me know i had to use the stabbing weapons to kill the monsters in it easily. He also showed me all the way to the first boss :)

They are but there is no system for guiding you how to level skills and armour up. No way to work out how to get your first spells. No way to work out how to become a black player or a blue one.

A lot of people are suggesting that i join with another player but I have no idea how to do that. How do I say I want to join another players game? What are the benefits of doing that and have I missed that part of the game where it tells me about this?

Yeah. Good luck with that! :lol:

In my opinion she's the trickiest NPC BP. The swamp certainly plays a big part in hindering your movements. She also casts Anti-Magic Field, Rage of God and heals a lot. Her Blind also cuts through your shield, so avoid her melee attacks. Your best bet is to get on top of her (oo-er) and keep hitting her to interupt her casting/healing animation. Two players are better than one, cause when your stamina runs out, you're gonna get hit one way or another.

Oh, and you have BP Giant Goblins to contend with before and after. ;)

I did struggle a lot with this one in the end. I tried sniping at her from the raised walkway, but that was a 'mare as she kept running off, and would always cast heal after her health go to below 50%; I could interupt her healing animation, but she would always roll off and try again, and eventually she'd be out of my range, or I'd miss / be too slow. I tried fighting her on the ground, but the swamp made that near impossible - I ended up trying to parry her attacks, but I'm crap at that (I've been using the Dark Purple Flame Shield for ages, so I'm massively out of practise). I didn't have much trouble getting to her - the BP Giant Depraved One on the way could easily be sneaked past - that's eventually what gave me the idea about fighting Selen.

I went back to the Nexus, got myself Hidden Soul and Soulsucker, then snuck around behind her and one-hitted her with Soulsucker :D Winnar! Getting to the Primeval Demon through all the enemies and BPs after that was a bit of a bitch too, but I got there eventually. Still, that was much harder than Scrivir had been. Not looking forward to the others if they're that tricky!

They are but there is no system for guiding you how to level skills and armour up. No way to work out how to get your first spells. No way to work out how to become a black player or a blue one.

A lot of people are suggesting that i join with another player but I have no idea how to do that. How do I say I want to join another players game? What are the benefits of doing that and have I missed that part of the game where it tells me about this?

You use the Red Eye Stone to invade another players game as a Black Phantom (where the aim is to kill th eplayer there), and use teh Blue Eye Stone to make yourself available for another player to summon you into their game (where the aimis to help the player through the leve and default the boss).

The advantage of playing as a Blue Phantom is that you dont lose any souls if you die, and ther will be another player there with you (or maybe two), and you can get an idea of what the level is like, and garner some ideas on how to approach it from the other players.

I do agree the game is very much dependent upon experimentation. It's by no means a Starfox Adventures. If you feel uncomfortable with that kind of 'walking in the dark', then I don't think the game will open up for you, save for some co-op sessions.

Then again, it could also be the choice of class hampering you. I chose a Wanderer which I later learned is rather quick on its feet and I never felt any struggle, just punishment for not paying attention. :)

Looking to get this, but don't know which version to get. Are there any differences between versions available?

Also if anybody could point me in the right direction where to get it from that would be ace, new to importing so don't really know where to start.

Looking to get this, but don't know which version to get. Are there any differences between versions available?

Also if anybody could point me in the right direction where to get it from that would be ace, new to importing so don't really know where to start.

Get it off ebay. You can buy a new copy for between £35 to £45 depending if you want the Asian or US release. As for differences, the only difference is the servers. Those on the US server can't play with those on the Asian and vice versa.

Get it! It's dead good. Although it will make you cry frequently.

As for my game, I defeated the

Red dragon

on 1-2 yesterday. I was slowly chipping away at his health, got him down to about half when I was disconnected from the server and ended up dumped back in the title screen. When I reloaded I was back where I was previously, but his health had been restored! So, I started again and destroyed him with just two arrows left in my inventory. I also worked my way through 5-1 and defeated the boss first time. I stayed above him and spammed him with arrows. He fell pretty quickly.

Can't decide where to go next. I've done 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 3-1, 4-1 and 5-1. I tried 4-2, got quite far into it when I got killed by two invisible women when trapped in a corner. I may attempt 2-2, but apparently the boss is pretty hard.

I'll try again tonight or tomorrow but at this rate it is not looking good. Having 0 souls and no clear way to progress is making it seem less like a fun pastime and more like a job :(

If you're not in the mood to replay 1-1 (which you should know pretty well by now), in order to grind a few souls and grasses, the best advice i can offer is: start afresh and pick a Royal.

Trust me you'll breeze through 1-1 in 10-15 mins! Having projectile magic from the get-go makes things so much easier! You'll also notice how fast and nimble your character is because of the light clothing.

Then all you have to do, is spend your souls wisely. ;)

Well I'll be damned, you're right - it bloody isn't in the manual. Excuse my assumptive bullshittery on that subject.

It's definitely in the game though. Somewhere. Somewhere probably unhelpful. :lol:

Details of catalysts & talismans and how to cast spells/miracles is summarised in a (brief) paragraph on the English instruction sheet i got with my Asian copy of the game.

How on earth could Atlus have not detailed it in their manual?

Then all you have to do, is spend your souls wisely. ;)

This here lies my problem, I have not idea what I'm about to face so I've no idea what to spend them all on. It's not like you can stockpile the souls either so the game positively encourages you to level as soon as. I've only ever picked the royal to start so far though, being soul level 1 feels like it's always a fresh start.

Another quick question: I've pretty much run out of herbs and have been running through 1-1 to farm them every now and then. Is there a quicker/cheaper/better way of getting herbs, or a better way of replenishing health? I'm a wanderer with one spell slot and a penchant for armour which is a bit heavy for my character class.

Ok I decided to stick with my Temple Knight and am now over lvl 20 with high Strength and Endurance and trying to get more Magic so i can cast some spells no joy so far...

I have completed 1-1 and 1-2. Managed that by making use of the blue souls system. Basically I was a soul so joined another group to kill that boss (man the run along the turrets is a right pain in the ass). Killed him and became human. Then I made my way back to him and summoned some blue for backup and downed him YAY!

Still finding 2-1 hard, I have got up to the part with the hot poker guys, I can get past them but with currently low ammo and souls it is slow going.

Also trying 4-1 (I think) with the rolling skeletons, can't beat the mini boss but did find a strange shortcut (involving rolling) with some online guys. Basically netted me a ring which regens health (slowly) a thiefs ring and something else. Then I came across a red dude who pretty much killed me so I ran up to the nearest fog and moved through, ooops Boss Time in the dark, some tongue thing and BAM I'm dead. Now how the hell I get back there...

Ok I decided to stick with my Temple Knight and am now over lvl 20 with high Strength and Endurance and trying to get more Magic so i can cast some spells no joy so far...

I have completed 1-1 and 1-2. Managed that by making use of the blue souls system. Basically I was a soul so joined another group to kill that boss (man the run along the turrets is a right pain in the ass). Killed him and became human. Then I made my way back to him and summoned some blue for backup and downed him YAY!

Still finding 2-1 hard, I have got up to the part with the hot poker guys, I can get past them but with currently low ammo and souls it is slow going.

Also trying 4-1 (I think) with the rolling skeletons, can't beat the mini boss but did find a strange shortcut (involving rolling) with some online guys. Basically netted me a ring which regens health (slowly) a thiefs ring and something else. Then I came across a red dude who pretty much killed me so I ran up to the nearest fog and moved through, ooops Boss Time in the dark, some tongue thing and BAM I'm dead. Now how the hell I get back there...

I don't think 4-1 is such a great idea unless you have the blessed mace from 5-1 (although it can still be done). I think I did 1-1 and 1-2 first like you and then went onto 2-1. The hot poker guys should be pretty ok if you take your time. Pull one at a time and just wait to dodge an attack before swinging.

3-1 may be ok as well. The mind flayer type guys are scary at first but once you work out the couple of spell patterns they have its easier.

Quick question: when you Blue Phantom in another players game and beat the boss - does that effect the World Tendency in your game?

Nope.

Another quick question: I've pretty much run out of herbs and have been running through 1-1 to farm them every now and then. Is there a quicker/cheaper/better way of getting herbs, or a better way of replenishing health? I'm a wanderer with one spell slot and a penchant for armour which is a bit heavy for my character class.

Blessed Weapons slowly regen your health, as does the Adjudicators Shield. But both are pretty difficult to get hold of if you're still in the early stages of the game. Farming 1-1 is fine, but you're mostly gonna get Crescent Moon Grass (the green one) which doesn't give a great deal of HP. If you're okay taking on the Knights (blue eyed) you'll get better stuff.

Looks like your Blue Phantom heplers showed you the 'roll onto the wall' shortcut, which drops you real close to the boss door on 4-1.

You don't actually have to kill the fat mini-boss on that level. There is a way round him. Go up the tower where the two Skelly archers are (watch out for the trap), you'll find a path/tunnel leading into the building (a 3rd skelly archer above), from there you'll come across a secret passage that looks like a bricked up door. There should be a message on the floor saying "Attack!", which opens the door. The rest of the level still isn't easy.

I'd advise grabbing the Winged Spear from the first mad-dash of 1-2. Take it back to the Nexus. Upgrade it best you can, then use that on 2-1. All the Miners are weak to piercing attacks, so the spear will do the trick.

If you have a wand (and 10 will & magic), i'd definitely invest in the Magic/Enchanted Weapon spell. It costs 5000, but its worth it. It means you can cast it on your Halberd and Spear to do some proper damage!

Good luck!

So i'm nearing the end in this and at long last felt comfortable enough (having done 95 % WT events) to not suicide in the nexus after defeating the last Archdemon outside of Boletarian Palace. Promptly got invaded just as I was heading back from the spot with the Blue Flying Dragon (not enough arrows). Equipped my brand new totally neat Meat Cleaver and ran towards him. When he noticed me i could see him hesitate, turn around and run down the stairway back towards the exit again (his sword was nowhere near as impressive lol). I jumped down, blocked the exit and four mighty swings later gained 16.000 souls and mucho satisfaction. Awesome stuff.

Only got the final boss left before new game+, some tactics/online help (gonna try beating him this afternoon and if necessary evening) would be appreciated. Stupid soulsucker instadeath, is there any way to block it/avoid it (other then running from one side to the other)

Also I'm slightly confused about the Blueblood sword, does luck or intelligence give you the bonus multiplier? I think it's one of those things they changed from Asian to US version but some confirmation would be nice.

The Bluebloods added parameters are boosted by your Luck stat.

TBH i wouldn't bother upgrading your luck for the sake of it - you won't notice a great deal of difference until you get stupidly high (50+).

It has pretty decent stats from the get-go, and is also a dull blade so you can buff it with magic weapon spells etc.

Just wondering which weapon to use for the final fight. I've got Demonbrandt, Meatcleaver, Great Sword +5 (and Makotto but a little scared go with the clever rat's set up/ monitoring HP ) which do more damage but I can get more swings and leave stamina for rolling away with the Blueblood sword. Does the knock down effect from the heavy weapons work on the final boss ?

I had good success with Demonbrandt on Pure White Character Tendency. Main thing to ensure is that you're kitted out so that you can roll/dodge/run away* effectively.

*Also useful for running towards him, to interrupt his Super Saiyan Explosion Spectacular and get a few free hits in.

As Kloid said; you've gotta stay light and quick on your feet. So keep your equip under 50%.

You could try buffing the Meat Cleaver with Black Turps, then do the two-handed roll, into floor-slam. Then quickly roll outta there. I was using that technique the other day, but i did have a Blue Phantom with me for distractions. ;)

And no, he won't even blink at the heavy weapon knockdown attack.

I need an RPG fix and its between this or Dragon Age. Anyone whos played both got any advice as to which is the better game overall ?

BUY THEM BOTH!!!

Seriously. They're both fucking incredible.

Demon's souls nudges it slightly for me, purely because I lean towards action RPG.

In saying that. If you only have a PS3 buy Demon's souls.

Console version of Dragon Age is pure shite. Voice of experience.

Buy them both indeed. :)

Failing that, I'd go with DA:O if the 'RPG fix' you're after is one of a desire for a familiar genre.

Demon's Souls is amazing, no doubt, but there are several standard RPG boxes that it doesn't attempt to tick (extensive conversations, for example). Instead, it's a very streamlined, focussed sort of game with only one single proper 'town' area and then just a bunch of oppressive dungeons to survive. They're both very different games at their core. Both fantastic, but if you opt for Demon's Souls you need to be prepared for a kind of RPG which could be something other than that which you specifically have a hankering for. Of course, the new and unique things which DS brings to the table - the dripping atmosphere, the moments of genuine accomplishment, the survival horror vibe - could be things you also have a hankering for but you don't even know it yet. ;) I stand by my verdict though that, if you have an RPG itch, DA:O is the 'safe' option.

And to offer a counter-argument to Kevvy's advice above, I'm playing console DA:O, and it is funfunfun. For anyone playing it on the 360/PS3, ignorance is bliss with regards to the PC version.

Don't hold your breath for a PAL release.

I traded DA:O last week. I gave it 30 hours or so, but i gotta say, i found it boring as fuck! That may be down to the fact i've spent so much time with Demon's Souls, which is easily my GOTY.

Hope that sways your decision. :lol:

I agree it's the superior game, don't get me wrong; Demon's Souls has got my GOTY lovejuice all over it.

I just don't think that that auto-applies it for a specific RPG fix candidate, since it's such a unique beast within the genre.