Demon's Souls - remake's OUT - mindful of the spoilers, please!

robdood

Yeah, once you’ve traversed the scaffolding and have the boss gate to your left there’s a path to your right that leads to the shortcut.

It’s easy to spot when you restart the level. After you killed the first enemy, do not drop down but continue straight. You come to a dead end. Look across the gap, that’s where you want to go.

Well, I've got my first roadblock. The boss of 3-2 (I think? Second area of tower of latria). Good god. I'd been quite happily making my way through the game, with not too much difficulty. Haven't died to any boss more than 3 times so far, but this is going to take a few goes.

29 minutes ago, dug said:

Well, I've got my first roadblock. The boss of 3-2 (I think? Second area of tower of latria). Good god. I'd been quite happily making my way through the game, with not too much difficulty. Haven't died to any boss more than 3 times so far, but this is going to take a few goes.

Leave that one last. Come back when you are higher level. 

17 minutes ago, Oz said:

Leave that one last. Come back when you are higher level. 

Ok, ta. I guess this is generally regarded as one of the harder bosses then? It's certainly the hardest one I've fought. For the record, I've done the first boss of all the areas and the second boss of areas one and two.

13 minutes ago, dug said:

Ok, ta. I guess this is generally regarded as one of the harder bosses then? It's certainly the hardest one I've fought. For the record, I've done the first boss of all the areas and the second boss of areas one and two.

Yeh just skip it. Other areas are much harder in terms of getting to the boss. However, in terms of bosses all others are at 3 when this one is randomly at 11. I don’t even think it is working as intended, it is accidentally hard. 

Just done 5-2 and I wanted to say 

Spoiler

Lol Dirty Colossus! 

If my local kebab shop had one called the dirty Colossus I would order one immediately.

Well, this happened today:

image.thumb.png.606c00a256e2e8a02598b3f1859ec93c.png

I dabbled with it in 2009, and got it in November with my PS5 but wasn't really in the mood. After finishing Returnal I thought I should go back to it.

Now what, though?! NG+, new class / build?! Move onto Dark Souls?

What a game 😍

I'm on 1-3 and 

Spoiler

Rescued Ostravia again. He did his usual wandering off thing, so I continued exploring. When I came across him again he was just standing there while an enemy repeatedly attacked him! 🤣 His AI really needs to be fixed. I considered letting him die for being so dumb, but killed the enemy. And I'm glad I did because he gave me a pure clearstone, which is what I needed to upgrade my quality claymore to +5. 

Was his AI this broken in the PS3 version?

2 hours ago, dug said:

I'm on 1-3 and 

Reveal hidden contents

Rescued Ostravia again. He did his usual wandering off thing, so I continued exploring. When I came across him again he was just standing there while an enemy repeatedly attacked him! 🤣 His AI really needs to be fixed. I considered letting him die for being so dumb, but killed the enemy. And I'm glad I did because he gave me a pure clearstone, which is what I needed to upgrade my quality claymore to +5. 

Was his AI this broken in the PS3 version?

Spoiler

It's a clumsy way of doing it, but I think it's intentional. You've got to protect him to get the prize. The first time I played the PS3 version I wandered off and later found him dead.

On 02/07/2021 at 18:35, Lyrical Donut said:

Well, this happened today:

I dabbled with it in 2009, and got it in November with my PS5 but wasn't really in the mood. After finishing Returnal I thought I should go back to it.

Now what, though?! NG+, new class / build?! Move onto Dark Souls?

What a game 😍

the platinum is fun and not that big a hassle (minus one rng related issue). I have continued to play even after the platinum which is madness level. 

I've finished, so I'll post a few thoughts. 

Overall, I really enjoyed it. For me, nothing beats the experience of exploring a new area in a souls game. And full marks to Bluepoint, because they nailed it. The feel of the character movement and combat is spot on. The sword hits are so chunky you can almost feel them. Indeed, Bluepoint did a better job in this regard than Fromsoft themselves did in Dark Souls 2!

I absolutely loved the graphics. There could be an element of new console hype here, but I frequently stopped to look around and take in just how awesome everything looked, from the grand vistas across the valley, to the grimy wall textures. I also often marveled at how much stuff there was everywhere. Like, look at the floor anywhere, and the will be a load of rubble, and broken paving stones, and old helmets, and scraggly weeds. Was it some poor sod's job to design and model 50-odd slightly different bits of rubble? Then some other poor sod's job to agonise over precisely where to place them on the map? Or is this kind of thing all done procedurally now?  Either way it looks fantastic.

One slight disappointment for me was 

Spoiler

that the third section of each area was just a boss fight. I wanted more level! But I guess the areas we got are pretty big, so I can't complain too much. I'm just spoiled by the size of the later Souls games, I suppose.

Another disappointment was the lack of challenge in the boss fights, Man-eaters aside. All a piece of piss. Although I have completed all the other soulsish games, so I don't know what they would be like for a new player.

Having said that, I'm on ng+ now, and Flamelurker seems a LOT harder than first time round. Perhaps the real Demon's Souls starts in ng+

Ok, so it seems that as punishment for cockily stating in the post above that the bosses (other than maneater) are a piece of piss, Flamelurker has turned into the henchest motherfucker in the world in ng+. First time round I beat him without too much difficulty in my fourth attempt. He had a few big thumping attacks, but as long as you can avoid them or tank them with a sturdy shield, no problem.

Only now that doesn't work. On ng+ I must have had 30 goes minimum. Maybe more like 40. Can not kill the bastard. You basically have to do it flawlessly, because any hit either kills you or stuns you long enough for the follow up hit to kill you. Motherfucker's been on the steroids, I tell you.

That was brilliant! Fascinating to hear about the deep level of detail Bluepoint go into when crafting their remakes, confirming what you already knew. 

Need a bit of help in Latria:

Spoiler

Got to the first boss but its a right long run to her. I have to run down the corridor, go through the door to outside, go back inside and take the left passage, go down stairs and run up another passage, kill the 2 squiddies, go down and right, and finally reach the walkway to the church. I did shut down the shooty statue but doesn't seem to save any time. Is there any shortcut I'm missing here?

Also there are still some cells on one floor of one of the areas that you get to via the downward stairs that I haven't found the key for yet. Have I overlooked it or will I find it later?

Cheers!

1 hour ago, Alan Stock said:

Need a bit of help in Latria:

Hide contents

Got to the first boss but its a right long run to her. I have to run down the corridor, go through the door to outside, go back inside and take the left passage, go down stairs and run up another passage, kill the 2 squiddies, go down and right, and finally reach the walkway to the church. I did shut down the shooty statue but doesn't seem to save any time. Is there any shortcut I'm missing here?

Also there are still some cells on one floor of one of the areas that you get to via the downward stairs that I haven't found the key for yet. Have I overlooked it or will I find it later?

Cheers!

Spoiler

I'm not sure there is a shortcut in that area. If there is, I didn't find it anyway.

With the locked cells, do you mean the one with the blue guy locked inside, and a couple of others on that same level? If so, I believe you have to have pure white world tendency to get the key. On my first playthrough I ignored world tendency completely, so there's loads of stuff I missed, I'm sure. But now I'm on ng+ I'm attempting to get each area to pure white to see what happens.

31 minutes ago, dug said:

Hide contents

I'm not sure there is a shortcut in that area. If there is, I didn't find it anyway.

With the locked cells, do you mean the one with the blue guy locked inside, and a couple of others on that same level? If so, I believe you have to have pure white world tendency to get the key. On my first playthrough I ignored world tendency completely, so there's loads of stuff I missed, I'm sure. But now I'm on ng+ I'm attempting to get each area to pure white to see what happens.

Thats right, and I have also ignored it so far! Thanks.

Been dipping into this a bit after a break — my mage has now done 1-1, 1-2, all of world 2, 3-1, 4-1 and 5-1. 

Most guides recommending 3-2 next but I’ve heard the boss on that is a beast — any tips?

Any tips for 2-2 boss? 

Spoiler

Flamelurker

Too fast for me. He's like a Sekiro boss but I'm just some paper mage and no samurai. I've seen a few people do it on YouTube but they seem to all be melee builds and take less and do more damage.

I did 3-2 last night but headed back to the Nexus once I'd unlocked the final path. Gulp...

2 hours ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Any tips for 2-2 boss? 

Reveal hidden contents

Flamelurker

Too fast for me. He's like a Sekiro boss but I'm just some paper mage and no samurai. I've seen a few people do it on YouTube but they seem to all be melee builds and take less and do more damage.

I did 3-2 last night but headed back to the Nexus once I'd unlocked the final path. Gulp...

I did this as a puny mage with

Spoiler

water veil, which took the edge of the damage quite significantly