Demon's Souls - remake's OUT - mindful of the spoilers, please!

37 minutes ago, Marlew said:

Albeit the art style and lighting on the Switch version is fully authentic to the original unlike the Remaster, so cubits like me prefer it. 

Edit: *cunts

Yeah, noticed a bit of a difference between the two versions. It’s a shame the Switch version isn’t 60fps. Playing the PS4 version on PS5 and it looks really nice though!

Done. Loved it, a truly stunning achievement. Never played the original so was a real treat to have a brand new Souls as a launch title. 

Only disappointments were the relative length as it felt a bit short and as I went to each of the final areas it just became a bit of a boss rush and they all seemed to whizz by at such a speed and then it was over. 

Also a bit miffed that it goes straight in to NG+. I had so much fun with PvP and summoning in DS3 after finishing and before going in to a new game. Can't do any of that now without going through the whole game again and seems I need to do a particular thing right at the very end of the game to get the red stone. Suffice to say I didn't do that thing and now I can't do any PvP at all ☹️ . NG+ seems pretty brutal too. Lost 200k souls that I'd carried over to a fucking archer. 

It was still fucking great though and will definitely have another run through as a strength or dex character.

Any DLC been hinted at for this?

Just finished it. What a great game. Went straight to NG+ and did Phalanx. It’s so weird just blasting through that in like 20 minutes, remembering it took me days to slowly edge my way through it first time. Also helped as there was no dragons because of PWWT!! 

Is there a general guide for the route to progress? I can’t beat the tower knight, and can’t summon at the moment for help. I’m wondering where I can go to perhaps level up and get better gear? 

22 minutes ago, Fargo said:

Is there a general guide for the route to progress? I can’t beat the tower knight, and can’t summon at the moment for help. I’m wondering where I can go to perhaps level up and get better gear? 

Make sure that you are matching your weapon to your stats. It’s a good idea to keep levelling your weapon up as much as possible too.

You can get some Souls by just playing through the first area again. There is gear to find there that you might have missed too. Outside of that, just head into any area and see how you progress! If you’re struggling with an area then try elsewhere. 4-1 has a few enemies at the start that are good for gaining Souls.

On 22/01/2021 at 10:20, Fargo said:

Tower Knight down :D ended up leveling up by grinding the skeletons on the Island level. Also levelled up my short sword +5

• 2 weeks later...

This is such an amazing looking and sounding game, the lightning is spectacular in places e.g. the burning trees on the island. The sound really pulls you into the game world too. I’m very glad this was a launch title otherwise there’s a good chance I wouldn’t have played it and then I would have missed out on something special. Hopefully a lot of new players, like me, have been introduced to the Souls world and this encourage some more remasters for the PS5.

Am I missing something obvious in 2-1 - do none of the enemies drop any grass? I've managed to open up the lift shortcut and this longish section is kicking my ass a bit, mainly because I now have no grass to replenish health. Do I need go farm grass somewhere else?! 

So, I bounced off this not long after it launched. Think I did 1-1, 1-2, 2-1 bosses (magic build). And basically did all the level except the boss on 4-1 (if that’s the skeleton one?) and 3-1. 

Had a dabble today for the first time since and fell my way to the boss on 2-2 — seems absurdly easy with magic! Didn’t take him out first time but close. 

The thing is: I really enjoy playing this bloody game! But I think it’s just the notion of it that’s offputting; when I only have a limited amount of time, it’s always easier to go with a game I know will deliver fun, not frustration. 

I read a thing ages back that said the biggest challenge in any of these games is adapting your mindset. So true!

Completed (well finished for the first time) Demon’s Souls. Absolutely loved it. I’ve completed Dark Souls (and the remastered Dark Souls NG++++) and Bloodborne. I think Demon’s Souls is my favourite. I love the way souls games infiltrate your thinking, you find yourself pondering over strategies and builds and weapon paths even when you’re not playing the game! I’m looking forward to NG+; before killing the last boss I was getting my inventory all ready for the next play through. I think Demon’s Souls is the easiest of the souls games I’ve played, but still challenging enough to be fun. If you haven’t played it, you should!

This has properly grabbed me! I bought it with the console, had a few sessions on it and pawed away at it making little progress and largely abandoned it in favour of other games. Then a week ago I levelled up just enough to have a crack at the red eyed knight. I upgraded my Bastard Sword as far as I was able and went at him and died... a lot. But I kept on making progress and I eventually beat him and it just unlocked something for me and I've pressed on to the point now where I've beaten the initial demon in each stage along with the Tower Knight in world one.

It's been a long, long time since a game has gripped me like this. That feeling where you just want to spend every spare minute upgrading and exploring, pushing forward and unlocking a little bit more of the world you're in. I finished off the awful leech demon in 5.1 last night, who was surprisingly easy. The game worlds don't seem to be progressively difficult. World one obviously eases you in, but once you've cleared the initial demon in each world, the remaining four worlds seem pretty interchangeable difficulty wise.

I started as the Knight and probably the best decision I made was to get out of the knight garb I was wearing and switch to the wizard's outfit where I'm able to roll far easier. For stats I've focussed heavily on endurance, strength and magic and now that I've got the Crescent Falchion and upgraded it to a +4, I'm pretty confident taking on most levels.

The best moment so far has come from a stand off with Black Phanthom Satsuki at the start of 4.1. I spent the morning cursing him out and I had to read up on world tendency  to work out what the hell he was doing there. I only had the Crescent Falchion + 1 at the time so it was a real chore to beat him, not least when several times I thought I'd got him and he regenerated his health, but persistence paid off and I killed him, returning world tendency to neutral. Was proper chuffed at that. :)

Right now I've found all the paths which lead to the next bosses (with the exception of world five, which I've just started), but they're all handing me my ass. I'm focussed on the Maneater in world 3 right now, but when that second bugger turns up, it's lights out real quick.

This feels like the first time I've ever properly clicked with a souls game. I had the original on PS3 but never really got off the first world. I beat the Tower Knight (with help) and never achieved much beyond that. Bloodborne was similar, I put a few bosses to bed but the Blood Starved Beast and necessary grinding drained all enthusiasm I had for the game. Beating that red eye knight on this one just seemed to be the victory I needed to compel me onward. :)

1 hour ago, Robo_1 said:

For stats I've focussed heavily on endurance, strength and magic

Just so you know, beyond reaching minimum strength requirements I'm not sure how useful strength is to you right now. Your Crescent Falchion doesn't scale at all with strength. Even in the long run there aren't many builds that do much with strength/int in Demons I don't think.

Oh lord I'm fuming tonight. I went on a quest to get the pure moodshade stone from one of the lizards in 4.2. Not once but twice I failed to catch the little shite before he went off the edge of the cliff and now he's gone no more re-spawns. From what I've read, I have one more chance to get it from other lizards in 4.3 and then poof, no chance of ever upgrading to a +5, grrr.

10 hours ago, Robo_1 said:

Oh lord I'm fuming tonight. I went on a quest to get the pure moodshade stone from one of the lizards in 4.2. Not once but twice I failed to catch the little shite before he went off the edge of the cliff and now he's gone no more re-spawns. From what I've read, I have one more chance to get it from other lizards in 4.3 and then poof, no chance of ever upgrading to a +5, grrr.

The lizards at the end of that world respawned quite a lot for me and dropped more than I knew what to do with - don't worry. Had to wait to get them before I could get CF to +5.

Finished! 93 hrs on the CLOCK and souls level 101. 

I've never played a Souls game before but have been playing obsessively and put several hours a day in to try to get good. Definitely 3 phases for me... quite a struggle in the early game, a lot of time grinding to give me a fighting chance and then breezed through most of the last third. 

I'm not a risk taker so pretty much stuck with the Knight's opening sword, shield and armour right through the game.

I thought the flow of each area was amazing as one part leads to another, it's a shame there's no option to replay the game with your final stats but at original difficulty. I'd have been happy to romp through it all again without dotting from one area to another. 

Had one boss glitch and get stuck on the scenery, thankfully the one I was struggling with most. 

Overall in awe of the whole game. Time for a break then it's onto Dark Souls Trilogy! 

Having let it settle for a while, it turns out I really liked this. Things I think that are in its favour versus Bloodborne (really the only other Souls game I've played, and one that prevented me even looking into the others until now - the bosses were too hard after a while.)

The difficulty curve is a bit odd. I'd argue that the hardest part of the game is immediately on defeating the 1-1 boss. You don't really know where to go, you're a bit underpowered/under ready, and the bosses at the end of 1-2 and 2-1 represent a significant step up. After that, and you start understanding that some of the different worlds have useful functions (world 2 for crafting materials, world 1 for health packs, world 4 for some souls etc) you get into a decent rhythm, and it gels much more nicely. Plus, I think it's really in its favour that many of the bosses don't represent a massive difficulty spike. A lot of them have a gimmick or weak spot. Which means, for me at least, the best part of the game - the exploration, the learning the levels, the differing enemies - aren't kept from you by unrepresentative barriers. Tower Knight, Armored Spider and Flamelurker aside, there weren't many on the first run through that presented a real frustrating challenge, and I liked that. I don't really get any satisfaction from bosses.

22 hours ago, Uxorious said:

I think Demon’s Souls is my favourite. I love the way souls games infiltrate your thinking, you find yourself pondering over strategies and builds and weapon paths even when you’re not playing the game!

I am glad I am not alone here. I go back and forth on whether its the best souls game. I definitely think its right up there. I think there is so much to love about the game design. It takes risks, and has some truly fascinating systems in there.

I also completely understand some of the criticism. The item burden mechanic is so mind-bendingly stupid. The amount of times I have to drop a load of shit just to try the different armour combinations and find a set that looks good together (At least 50% of armour importance is how good you look, for sure). But in the end, it doesn't really matter.

For me, it has some of the most interesting bits of design of any Souls game. For instance: the tenancy system, which I would definitely love to see make a return in some future From Software game. I can buy into some people not liking it, because it means you can't 100% the game on a single run through, but back to your point, I think Demon's Souls is about the "perfect build" and "consequence" from each play through. The crystal lizards / world tendency feed directly into that idea. You only have a handful of chances to get the resources and world situation right, if you want to build that perfect character, and if you miss it, then its gone. I love that idea. Its similar to a Rogue-like, but is more longer term, where you have to live with your failure.

To me, it adds much more meaning to failure, something that was sorely missing from video games 12 years ago, when this was originally released. If you remember, every game was falling over themselves to make itself easier / contain "less friction" (bleugh) with never ending tedious tutorials and the rising popularity of casual games. For me, it was like hard games where under threat of extinction. And then Demon's Souls came along and it was like one huge middle finger to the entire industry's current design attitude. The fact that one of the games bosses is a player is one of the bravest features ever put into a video game. Seriously, think about that for a second.

Anyway, I could go on all day about this game. :D

1 hour ago, Steven said:

The lizards at the end of that world respawned quite a lot for me and dropped more than I knew what to do with - don't worry. Had to wait to get them before I could get CF to +5.

Oh that's good to know. Just defeated the Old Hero boss who I was surprised, didn't pose much of a challenge. Thief ring helped of course. :)

1 hour ago, Uncle Mike said:

Plus, I think it's really in its favour that many of the bosses don't represent a massive difficulty spike. A lot of them have a gimmick or weak spot. Which means, for me at least, the best part of the game - the exploration, the learning the levels, the differing enemies - aren't kept from you by unrepresentative barriers. Tower Knight, Armored Spider and Flamelurker aside, there weren't many on the first run through that presented a real frustrating challenge, and I liked that. I don't really get any satisfaction from bosses.

Totally the same and I think that's one of the biggest misunderstandings I had with the game going in. Having been properly mauled by Tower Knight a good few times followed by the Armoured Spider, I just envisioned a game where the boss difficulty continued to ramp up and the whole thing would have felt like a slog of grinding souls and thankless boss encounters, but it's set up far, far better that. Steadily upgrading makes repeating levels feel more rewarding, as you progressively grow in confidence you tackle paths and enemies which would have previously proven too challenging and rather than feel like a slog, there's a constant sense of excitement as you choose to tackle enemies or sections which you hadn't previously dared.

The bosses really are varied. I was amazed at how easy the Leech demon fell for instance but the Maneater boss was a really tense fight. The sprinkling of red demon's keeps you on your toes though.

Really magical experience though, suddenly I'm very keen to learn more about The Elden Ring.

19 hours ago, Robo_1 said:

Hah, the guy through the hidden wall halfway up the stairs past the black skeleton? I had exactly the same issue a few weeks back - they'd rather lemming off a cliff than hand over their sweet moonshade. 

My main difficult moments have really been in the amount of backtracking you have to do when you die, especially back to bosses. Bonfires definitely improved on this in future games.

Otherwise its superb. Bluepoint have flawlessly transitioned this, I'd be happy for them to do the whole lot again - Dark Souls 1/2/3, but especially Bloodborne. I don't think From Software could have done this as-well as Bluepoint has.

Finished it. Shit, now what? 

I still feel there are a few secrets I still don't know, a locked door here, some far off shining goodies there, that is just in the first area alone.

Great remake, stunning looks (loved the last bit at the end, stunning). Played offline for this first run. 

Sat through the credits at the end. Fuck me how many people work on a game these days, that's insane and surely not right!?

After completing it I think this remake sits right behind Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne, well ahead of DS2 and DS3. Haven’t played Sekiro. 

The technical perfection of this genuinely does give it something unique among all the Souls games. Not only the amazing graphics but the sound and Dual Sense implementation. The Storm King fight, for example, just feels massive in a way I’ve rarely experienced with any game before.

I've just started this today. Having bounced off Dark Souls (twice) and Dark Souls 3 after a couple of hours, I somehow thought that getting this for my new PS5 was a great idea.

And, somewhat miraculously, this time it's clicked. I don't know if it's because it's more linear than the others, or if maybe it's done a better job of explaining it's systems, but I've somehow got past the Phalanx without wanting to throw my controller at the fucking wall in frustration. 

I'm still not entirely sure I know what's going on, or if I'm doing it right, but I'm having a lot of fun with it right now.

Except for finding the Monumental. Fuck that, I ended up Googling it.