Demon's Souls - remake's OUT - mindful of the spoilers, please!

11 hours ago, dizogg said:

I’ve got a +3 Crescent Falchion, where the shit did you get 3x moonshadestone chunks to get to the next upgrade?

Final stage of world 4  - crystal lizards drop them.

2 hours ago, Steven said:

Final stage of world 4  - crystal lizards drop them.

You can farm the reaper at the start of 4-2 for them. Make sure you equip the providential ring (raises item discovery). Best way to farm him is to just sprint directly to the end of the upper platform, and drop down somewhere near him, then mess him up. Sprint past and ignore all the wraiths.

Edit - Isnt it darkmoon stone you need for crescent? Ah, the name got changed in the remake! Its dark moon stone on PS3 and Moonshade stone on PS5. So yeah, farm the reapers.

Under £59 now at Amazon. Probably due to a lot of copies hanging around not shifting because there are no consoles to play them on. 

It was at least £10 overpriced anyway in comparison to the rest of the releases.

5 hours ago, kempstar said:

Best way to farm him is to just sprint directly to the end of the upper platform, and drop down somewhere near him

Alternatively a couple of arrows from a sticky bow up top does the trick. 

18 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

Just play Dark Souls 1. It’s an interconnected 3D Metroidvania compared to the Mario 64 style Peach’s Castle hub/world structure of Demon’s. Dark Souls 2 & 3 went back to being a bit hub/spoke. 

Dark Souls 1 is the one. The one being the singular best fucking game ever man.

Played it when it first came out on 360 and got to the Gargoyles. Bought it on Switch and rang the bell, just after the Gargoyles. Now bought it again to play on PS5 thanks to this post! Went back to the Switch version, and also tried Bloodborne again but, just can’t go back to 30fps.

Looks a lot better than the Switch version and plays loads better due to the 60fps. Picked up loads from playing Demon’s and managed to go straight through to the Gargoyles again after exploring Darkroot for a bit. Rest of the game is going to be brand new to me. Proper looking forward to getting stuck into it!

Did in Maneater and accidentally triggered the Old Monk. Which then automatically summons a real player that you have to fight? So I took advantage of some friendly summons icons that appeared and brought a random along for the first time. We did him in.

So now I've just Boletaria to do. Made good progress in the Inner Ward before a slightly silly death. Although I did get far enough that I've been able to open a door that was previously locked and rescue someone at the end of 1-2.

I am presumably in the closing stages. Overpowered, I'm sure, rocking 34 Strength, 32 Endurance, 30 Vitality and a +9 Long Sword. But I don't feel like I've ever gone out of my way to grind for levels at all.

2 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

Did in Maneater and accidentally triggered the Old Monk. Which then automatically summons a real player that you have to fight? So I took advantage of some friendly summons icons that appeared and brought a random along for the first time. We did him in.

So now I've just Boletaria to do. Made good progress in the Inner Ward before a slightly silly death. Although I did get far enough that I've been able to open a door that was previously locked and rescue someone at the end of 1-2.

I am presumably in the closing stages. Overpowered, I'm sure, rocking 34 Strength, 32 Endurance, 30 Vitality and a +9 Long Sword. But I don't feel like I've ever gone out of my way to grind for levels at all.

Yeah, that boss is a real player if there’s one available! Really cool idea!

You’re very close to the end just a bit left to go. I was in the same boat - never went out of my way to grind levels, just did some grinding to upgrade my weapon. I don’t think it matters if you’re overpowered or underpowered. If you’re enjoying the game then, that’s all that matters!

The game gives you a lot of freedom to play the way that you want to play. Under levelled, over levelled, different builds, different weapons, soul form, human form, the order you take things on, helping, hindering etc. There’s a lot of depth that i didn’t even consider at first. When you get to NG+ there’s still plenty to tackle too - the phantoms, World Tendency, NPC quests, PVP etc. It’s very rare that I would jump straight back into a game but I did with this. That speaks volumes. It really is a masterpiece and despite some niggles is an incredibly well designed game. Be interesting to see how Dark Souls stacks up to it!

30 minutes ago, hombre_hompson said:

Just bought this and wanted to play it in 'mirror' mode as I've played the original to death.

It looks as though you have to pay souls to unlock it? Is there an easy way to get to it without playing much of the base game?

Looks like you need to get 25,000 Souls and then offer them to the statue. You can do that by just playing through 1-1 until you have enough to offer.

I had a quick mini explore of the 1-4 area this morning, killing a trio of phantoms and levelling up again. Also getting those lizards so that I now have a +10 Long Sword. And found another person to rescue in 1-3, so my Nexus is filling up nicely. (I did kill an obvious wrong 'un early doors.)

Question - there are a few things I think I've got left undone (the door behind the red knight in 1-1, for example, and the guy in the Tower of Latria (not Freke - I saved him) that I'd like to do. Not sure that I know how to do them yet, but do I need to tick things off before I complete the last boss? (and am I at him, if I'm in 1-4 and I've done the other worlds?)

1 minute ago, Uncle Mike said:

I had a quick mini explore of the 1-4 area this morning, killing a trio of phantoms and levelling up again. Also getting those lizards so that I now have a +10 Long Sword. And found another person to rescue in 1-3, so my Nexus is filling up nicely. (I did kill an obvious wrong 'un early doors.)

Question - there are a few things I think I've got left undone (the door behind the red knight in 1-1, for example, and the guy in the Tower of Latria (not Freke - I saved him) that I'd like to do. Not sure that I know how to do them yet, but do I need to tick things off before I complete the last boss? (and am I at him, if I'm in 1-4 and I've done the other worlds?)

Spoiler

Very close to the end of 1-4 you'll get a key for that 1-1 door.

For the guy in the cell in 3-1 you need Pure White World Tendency (rubble on one of the nearby floors disappears and you can grab a key). It can be difficult to get if you've already defeated an archstone's final boss since.

There are Pure White and Pure Black world tendency things to find in every stage though I'm not sure how many are essential for unlocking trophies etc, if you care about that. You can mostly ignore it if you're just keen to finish the game.

Cheers - not bothered about the trophies at this point, but I've been doing a hell of a job (I think) of clearing and exploring everywhere so far. I worked out what White Tendency looks like on the UI, when I discovered that killing Penetrator opened that door at the very start of 1-1. I think I have it for world 3 and 4 (not 2 or 5 - I suspect I've taken my body in there a few too many times before I realised it was important.)

7 hours ago, joffocakes said:
  Hide contents

Very close to the end of 1-4 you'll get a key for that 1-1 door.

Got (and used) that one, thanks. Handy directions!

Two of my buddies are dead now. I hope 

Spoiler

Biorr and Ostrava

weren't going to be more helpful.

So I guess I'm just off to the 1-4 boss now! I can't see a useful way for me, a melee-focused Knight, to take out the Blue dragon. Can I soul ray him to death slowly?

10 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Can I soul ray him to death slowly?

He can be cheesed with arrows if you get into the archway where he lands above then lock on and fire, don't zoom in aim just bring plenty of arrows.

On 05/01/2021 at 16:48, englishbob said:

Under £59 now at Amazon. Probably due to a lot of copies hanging around not shifting because there are no consoles to play them on. 

It was at least £10 overpriced anyway in comparison to the rest of the releases.

If you're patient you can usually get a buy it now copy off eBay for around £35. Missed one for £23 the other day. 

Good savings if you're prepared to wait. Physical forever !

Finished! Popped off to the 1-1 mystery door and got myself a sword, then decided fuck the guy in prison and killing the blue dragon, and pushed for the end.

Did the 1-4 boss at the second visit (and having learned the hard way that he can steal your levels! WTF.) But I got him, then did the ending.

I've really enjoyed this. Admittedly, I've definitely significantly overlevelled to get there, but for me over-long boss fights chipping away at a health bar are the death of my interest in games anyway. I always end up impatient, greedy, dead and frustrated. So taking a few repetitions out of those doesn't bother me at all. Different if you're cheesing it or whatever, but I'm fighting them fair and square.

Having struggled to even get into this in PS3 times, and dropped Bloodborne halfway through, I really didn't know whether to get this or not. I'm really glad I did, and also super glad I started again early doors with a new build. It's been fun from start to finish with my Knight.

It's special, for sure. The way it silently teaches you what to do (as someone who didn't twig to use the Thief Ring in 4-2 until it was pointed out to me, that then turns out super useful for the boss of that and the next level, for example. Or the battles in Upper Latria where you're learning about fighting flying creatures in tight walkways throughout, and also enemies with detachable tails.) Or even just in 1-1, where it shows you enemies being super weak to fire (in that first tower where they nearly always ignite themselves) before giving you a bunch of fire stuff and giving you a boss that's weak to fire. Like, clues are always there. And if not, someone's left them on the floor for you.

I haven't really played with the tendencies stuff, or any clever builds. Just Strength, Endurance and Vitality. Finished on level 77, with 39 Strength, 35 Endurance and 30 Vitality, with the rest, I think, at starting Knight levels except a couple of points in Luck. I am 100% sure that is significantly more than most on their first completion. What a wuss.

Pure unadulterated rage. Just had my first proper Demons Souls strop after getting murdered by a mind flayer on my way back to getting 10k dropped souls at that cunting phantom with the crossbow. It's always the rushing back that kills you. Fucking stupid game. Which I love. 

When I realised NG+ had started and that I couldn't spend all my 120k+ souls without beating Phalanx again, I whizzed through 1-1 on NG+ last night. In my full body, and really injecting a little risk into it. Decided I didn't want what was then plenty o'souls or my world tendency going in the bin, I then did a cheeky summons when I got to Phalanx. But that's 1-1 on NG+ complete, and my body intact. Nice.

11 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

Finished! Popped off to the 1-1 mystery door and got myself a sword, then decided fuck the guy in prison.

Did he drop his soapstone?

Finally unlocked the Platinum trophy. Took until I'd nearly completed New Game+2 to get the last of the spells but the third time round I just ran past everything I could and killed the bosses.

That's three PS5 Platinums already (alongside Astrobot and Mortal Kombat 11), I only managed 6 in all my time on PS4 and those were mostly fighting games.

I’m shit at these games so I intentionally did a bit of grinding, but I’ve underestimated the impact and now I feel massively over levelled. Just did the maneaters with ease (well after falling off to my death about 10 seconds into my first attempt :lol:) then did the old monk straight after. A player came into my game but by the time I’d got to the top of the stairs they’d left the game and I ripped the old monk apart. 

Still having a lot of fun though. The world and level design is so nice and I’m quite enjoying being so powerful.