Demon's Souls - remake's OUT - mindful of the spoilers, please!

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Finally got round to doing 5-1 properly. I'd ventured in there a few times, but those big bastards were giving me too much trouble. No longer! LM was fucking super easy!

Yeah, those big bastards were way harder than LM. They abuse the narrow passageways a lot. Lured the initial one back over the bridge from the rat room so I could properly fight him.

Thanks for feedback on the spider. I do know of the 'cheat' that exists but can't bring myself to do it yet. I'm closer to doing the summon pal thing but even that feels a bit wrong, like can I really say I've finished demon souls if I play that way? Not that I have PSN+, which demon souls reminds me of EVERY time I restart the game by asking if I want to play online or not.

4 hours ago, Rob_Pulsar said:

I thought I'd share my journey with this game over the last week or so.

After some initial stumbles and restarting with a new character (Royal class) I started to get to grips with the game and understand why those that like it (and its kin), really like it.  I still made 'mistakes' (spending 20,000 souls on spells before I realised I could level up my character for more basic needs like health, strength etc) but I was happy to finally feel like I understood the game. 

Level 1-1 boss was easy and fell at the first attempt (likely due to me being OP for it by the time I made it there).  I then nearly destroyed all good will I had for the game by attempting the 1-2 boss too many times and using so many of my consumables.  This led me to seek some advice and see that moving to 2-1 might be a better next step.

I found the 2-1 level to be enjoyable and just the right amount of challenge.  I made it to the boss with a healthy stash of souls (maybe 4k?) and promptly failed to do more than 25% damage.  I then committed what I imagine is a classic Demon/Dark Souls mistake, I tried to hurry back to the boss and got in a sticky situation and died at the hands of a grunt (2 dogs I believe) and lost all those precious souls!

I didn't rage quit as such at this point, more calmly put down the controller and said 'fuck this'.  I think my poor feelings were hurt by the sense that the game was too punishing and 'didn't respect my time'. :lol:

I was seriously on the brink of not picking it back up and instead tried to distract myself with games that did respect my time (I say this ironically).  Days Gone is a good example of what I found - it looks superb and runs like butter on PS5, but it tells you what to do every single step of the way.  There's no real jeopardy and thus no sense of achievement.  Alas, last night I went back to DS like a junkie grovelling to his dealer to score another hit.

Last night saw me clear the 2-1 boss on my next attempt and then make serious progress through 3-1 on my first run.  It was a great 80 minutes or so of gaming and left me wanting more.

I'm pretty sure that my story (so far) echos what others have been through with this game.  If you are where I was after losing those souls on 2-1, my advice would be as follows:

• Don't be afraid to seek some help (online guide for example) if only to get some clues on how to progress.  I see that I still have a lot to learn about how these games 'work' in terms of enemy types and their vulnerabilities.
  • Don't play frustrated, you'll only make it worse.  Put it down for a while and come back when you are ready.  The game isn't going anywhere and this is a marathon, not a sprint.

Great story!

The challenge is the real hook and once it truly has you, you’ll never look at normal games the same again.

Regarding losing souls. Remember, you can choose to leave the level any time you want. If you continue, that’s a chance you decide to take. If you lose them, look at it like you gambled and lost.

I dread to think the souls I’ve lost in this game, but being deep in a level loaded with souls all just adds to the pant wetting tension.

13 hours ago, Capwn said:

Yeah really think I'm close to being done with this, it's just not clicking with me. Just can't do the armored spider after about 30 attempts, most I can take off is about 20% damage. I've studied about 10 different videos on methods (which really sucks the joy out of it) but I still keep getting hit by webs and fire, then if I get close I get hit my most attacks even if rolling. I have a proper good shield (steel) ,weapon (Scimitar +3) and stats.

Really annoying have to replay those 3mins of getting to the spider over and over as well.

I like the idea of it i.e don't attack it, learn the patterns i.e but I'm really making no progress at all after 30 attempts. I know all of it's attacks, I just can't dodge them in time or am rolling when webbed which doesn't work and throws me off.

I did the spider first time, though summoned some help (who died after a third of the damage was done). To be honest I just got up close and battered him and weathered the flame attacks with healing grass. Used a Knight on strength build.

7 hours ago, Thor said:

Finally got round to doing 5-1 properly. I'd ventured in there a few times, but those big bastards were giving me too much trouble. No longer! LM was fucking super easy!

You’re gonna love 5-2 then :lol:

34 minutes ago, Len said:

Some bloke just turned up at the start of 4-1 and chops me to pieces in 1 shot, every time now. Oh good.

Another area to avoid then.

Kill yourself. In the game, this is. If you're in human form you get pestered by online jabronis. If you kill yourself in the nexus they can't hassle you and you won't spoil the world tendency. 

12 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Kill yourself. In the game, this is. If you're in human form you get pestered by online jabronis. If you kill yourself in the nexus they can't hassle you and you won't spoil the world tendency. 

That only cuts out other real actual human players invading. I think Len’s new friend is a scripted CPU-controlled invader.

1 hour ago, Strafe said:

You’re gonna love 5-2 then :lol:

Ha, when I came across two of the fuckers I'm not ashamed to say I slipped on my thief ring, and cast cloak to sneak around them. I very carefully made my way back around to the other side of the bridge shortcut to unlock that. Now back to the grindstone - no, not 4-2, my Tax text book. :(

59 minutes ago, jonamok said:

That new Black Skeleton Phantom is a PBWT penalty isn't it? What Tendency is your Shrine of Storms, Len?

Pitch bloody black (oops) so yes, that is who it is. I looked him up. Must have been all those failed AJD runs last night in human form so I could summon others.

Skellies are not a problem at all, he is.

Oh dear...

6 hours ago, Capwn said:

Thanks for feedback on the spider. I do know of the 'cheat' that exists but can't bring myself to do it yet. I'm closer to doing the summon pal thing but even that feels a bit wrong, like can I really say I've finished demon souls if I play that way? Not that I have PSN+, which demon souls reminds me of EVERY time I restart the game by asking if I want to play online or not.

Summoning is the way it’s meant to be played. You’ll love it you cheap ass

All this talk of deciding your build early and focusing on specific loadouts has got me shiting it, but then I realised I could just start over and probably rinse the first 10 hours of this in three due to experience and knowledge.

Am I doing myself a disservice cheesing all the bosses though? Am I going to wind up absolutely deadlocked because my scrub skills won't let me beat a boss?