Demon's Souls - remake's OUT - mindful of the spoilers, please!

2 minutes ago, Majora said:

I don't understand the world tendency in this at all. The meter always looks exactly the same to me. What affects it exactly? I want to get behind that gate right at the beginning of 1-1.

Spoiler

When you kill a boss or someone invading your world, the world tendency goes toward white.  There are probably about 7 stages of tendency.  Netural being 0. Then there are 3 levels up to pure white and 3 levels down from neutral to pure black.  When the world is pure white, the symbol glows quite yellow behind it.  When the world is pure black, it has red twinklies floating around the symbol.

When you are in human form, and you die, that puts that world closer to a black tendency.  When the world is in black tendency, as well as the black world events, it will be much easier to farm materials and enemies have a slightly higher drop rate.  The world will also be full of black phantom NPCs that hit harder than the regular ones.  I put world 2 in to black tendency by going human and suicide jumping over the cliff at the start of the level so that I could easily farm the chunks I needed from some enemies.

There is quite a lot of depth to it and there are other things that you can do that causes the world to gain / lose tendencies in either direction.  Far more than I could explain here and would differ for each world. :)

I would genuinely say that if you want to do all of the world tendency events, then looking up a guide would be your best bet! 

The backstab feels exactly like it does in the Souls games to me, it's actually easier if you are slightly to the side of the enemy you are trying to backstab during a fight, if you are sneaking up on them from behind (like the blue eyed boys back from 1-2 archstone) then you can actually just hold r1 when you are close, not right on top of them. I honed my backstabbing skills on the darkwraith in Dark Souls 3 1st level as you can sneak up on him. It's weird but once you get the hang of it you can do it repeatedly, the hitbox is iffy to say the least.

So I just completed 4-1, obviously missed some stuff as I haven't found that reknowned weapon, so I am going to go back and explore a bit more, it certainly isn't easy, those rays are twats! (though I found a good spot up a ladder to take them out from on my final run), the ninja skellies are fucking lethal.

Thing is I'm convinced I've fucked my game through my shitty inconsistent build, I've kind of started a quality build but still using standard upgrades, but I still feel weak against a lot of enemies, like 2-2, and fuck knows where to go in 2-2, the only way forwards on both counts seems to be trying to jump down somewhere but that doesn't seem like an easy thing to figure out. Loving the game though, 3-1 has been the highlight so far, proper freaky shit.

Started this today after finishing the PS3 version on Sunday

1-1 and 1-2 down so far

Think I am going to do either 2-1 or 3-1 next

It still feels fresh to me, which is a good thing.  Going to try to platinum this, but looks like needs at least 3 playthroughs

1 minute ago, MikeF said:

Started this today after finishing the PS3 version on Sunday

1-1 and 1-2 down so far

Think I am going to do either 2-1 or 3-1 next

It still feels fresh to me, which is a good thing.  Going to try to platinum this, but looks like needs at least 3 playthroughs

Wow, that is commitment. I finished Demon's Souls about four years ago and am not yet ready to try again. Soon, though. Soon.

Even though there's some things here that don't feel refined properly compared to later games, I reckon this has some of the best level design in the whole series so far. 1-1, 2-1 and 3-1 are all absolute belters. 

The Nexus looks good but it's so sprawling it gets a bit boring to keep running around to see if other NPCs have joined yet or not. Can see why they generally made later hubs more compact, or at least easier to loop around.

Just now, Majora said:

Even though there's some things here that don't feel refined properly compared to later games, I reckon this has some of the best level design in the whole series so far. 1-1, 2-1 and 3-1 are all absolute belters. 

The Nexus looks good but it's so sprawling it gets a bit boring to keep running around to see if other NPCs have joined yet or not. Can see why they generally made later hubs more compact, or at least easier to loop around.

Yeah I've given up going upstairs, assuming they all appear on the lower levels?

Really trying to like this game but I think it’s probably going to be a bridge too far with the gaming time I have available. Have been farting about in 1-1 for a while now. 

Wasted loads of firebombs first time round against the boss and have been trying to to do it with just pine resin a few times but I’m just not patient enough. Trying to get a clear hit on those hoplites feels like guesswork. Half the time I just bounce of the shield and get skewered. 

Im not giving up without at least beating 1-1 though. 

6 minutes ago, Minion said:

Did anyone get the Reaper Scythe for pre ordering? I litereally only just remembered that I had been sent a code from Base.com so I have just downloaded it, will have to see what the crack is when I come back on. 

Oh yeah! Have a code from Amazon for something.

I've finished Dark Souls and Bloodborne, but I think this might be a step too far for me.

love exploring the world, gradually working out where to go, edging cautiously forward, and the thrill of opening up a new area. And I'm happy to die repeatedly to a boss if I can almost instantly try again. But the long runs to the bosses in both 1-2 and 2-1 can absolutely get to fuck. It's inexcusable to waste the player's time like that, and no argument will convince me otherwise.

1 hour ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

I've pretty much given up trying to backstab, it just never ever works. WTF are the rules here? Even people on YT vids who are on new game +++ can't work it every time.

You need to be right up close to the enemy and can’t be pushing any direction (I.e. the left stick needs to be in the neutral position) when you attack. 

On a separate topic, can you just run past the two dragons on 1-1 down that little side path without getting roasted? I’ve forgotten and don’t want to risk it...

Ha. Finally did the boss in 1-1. Ended up running around like a twat for over 20 mins killing the little guys. Managed to damage my long sword so just dagger to kill the fucker in the end. Finally. Never played a souls before. This took me about 5 hours over various sessions. Doesn’t bode well!

33 minutes ago, Cappuccino Kid said:

I've finished Dark Souls and Bloodborne, but I think this might be a step too far for me.

love exploring the world, gradually working out where to go, edging cautiously forward, and the thrill of opening up a new area. And I'm happy to die repeatedly to a boss if I can almost instantly try again. But the long runs to the bosses in both 1-2 and 2-1 can absolutely get to fuck. It's inexcusable to waste the player's time like that, and no argument will convince me otherwise.

Ah, is that the tower Knight, 1-2. I was hoping I had still to discover a shortcut... Not looking forward to do that journey again after lasting only 5 seconds longer than that thing in the opening/slash training level....yeah, I am not the best at these games. 

8 hours ago, K said:

just muscle memory, with the occasional frustrating fuck-up.

And in this aggravating pain lies the real beauty of Souls.

In other news, I need a PS5 more than I ever thought imaginable a few months ago. And all for this...

53 minutes ago, Cappuccino Kid said:

Despite not yet owning the console, I am lurking the Sales folder awaiting a copy of this to drift to the bottom...

*Spooky voice* 'It's not for you, not for you, let it go-o-o-o...'

Another first timer here, I’m really enjoying it. I can’t imagine how hard this must be for people playing it for without Googling anything. I definitely agree with the frustrations around running back to the boss after each death. Going through that exploding barrel room on the way to the boss in 2-1 for the 10th time was not fun at all. 

After taking things nice and slow in 1-1 and 2-1, those aggressive rolling enemies at the start of 4-1 are a bit of a shock. Still though, managed to grab that fancy magic sword and get out of there and immediately feel loads more powerful. 

Up next: farm some healing items since I used almost my entire stash on killing the 2-1 boss and then go soul arrow the hell out of everything in 3-1.