Demon's Souls - remake's OUT - mindful of the spoilers, please!

I think it is worth pointing out that if you’re trying to do it early, the 1-2 runback is one of the more awkwardly designed ones in the whole Souls series because of the narrow path, having to wait for the dragon to do its thing, having the two knights pop up at the end.

There’s other equally convoluted run backs that are much less annoying because they’re less stop start - Firelink Shrine to the Four Kings in Dark Souls is on the face of it just as mad as DeS 1-2 but it’s just a lot more fun to feel like you’re breezing through and almost breaking the level design every time.

I think the issue with 1-2 is that you don’t feel like you’ve escaped the shackles of the level when you rerun - on first visit anyway. I think going away to level up is less about tackling the boss and more about giving you the tools to rapidly mangle all the goons in your path.

@Thor loved Bloodborne mate. Absolutely loved it. Never finished it though, due to the exact same issues that Demon Souls is in currently presenting me with. Demon Souls is fucking spectacular both in terms of visuals and gameplay but the forced 'loop' mechanic is stabbing at me once again. I have to reinforce the point that I am not against replaying sections in games. Far from it. I've spent hundreds of hours in games like Devil May Cry 3 and 5 replaying sections and bosses to improve my game on the highest difficulty settings. The difference is that almost all of these replays were my choice and not forced upon me to progress the core game.

You also touch on the guide point I raised, which I have no doubt would make the repeated journey to TK and any other boss less tedious. My problem is I want to learn how to defeat all of them myself. I am hopeful that coming back to 1-2 after beating another area or two first will make this all go away.

If the runbacks were all really simple (as per 1-1) it would be fine, but many of them aren't. I totally get why it could kill the game for other people.  And that's rubbish!

And having a much quicker way to try the boss again doesn't impact the 'reasons' given abovethread, e.g. to 'cool off' or to practice fighting.  You could choose to do those things at any moment.  They're not really a good enough reason to force people to run past a lot of crap for sometimes upwards of 60 seconds just to fight a boss and die immediately again!

If they really wanted to make runbacks good the need to be meaningful, like I dunno, you could do something basic like spawn new enemies that have guaranteed heal item drops, put them in awkward places, etc.  Or maybe make the boss arena dynamic and appear in different places so you have to find them again, or something.  Not the best ideas, but you really need something to make them fun or interesting to run through multiple times. 

I've certainly put up with them, indicating the premise doesn't bother me too much, but it seems odd to continuously argue with someone's position on this.  There's no objective truth to how it should be handled.  Lets just rally round Mardigan and make sure he doesn't give up on this one BECAUSE ITS SO GOOD. 

Anyway: @MardiganX MATE.  Have you tired another stage yet? Demon's is the best in that way, I found it rare to get stuck on more than a couple of stages at once!

1 minute ago, robdood said:

Anyway: @MardiganX MATE.  Have you tired another stage yet? Demon's is the best in that way, I found it rare to get stuck on more than a couple of stages at once!

Will be hitting up a different one tonight and aim to shake this funk as I swear when I finished 1-1 I was as high as an Astronauts eyebrows!

21 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

Will be hitting up a different one tonight and aim to shake this funk as I swear when I finished 1-1 I was as high as an Astronauts eyebrows!

Doing all the -1 stages is a pretty safe bet.  They're all pretty fairly tuned balance wise.  Each of the -2 stages is a bit of a step up and ideally you want stronger quipment by that point. 

4 hours ago, sammy said:

I’ve been twatted several times by TK now.  Getting him further down each time, tonight he is mine.  That run along the parapet to him is amazing though, just sensory overload!

Nailed the fucker on my lunch break!  My god it felt good to see the lumps of health come off him when he was on his back.  

2-1 to finish next, I can’t be too far off the end of that, creepy sodding place.

56 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

@Thor loved Bloodborne mate. Absolutely loved it. Never finished it though, due to the exact same issues that Demon Souls is in currently presenting me with. Demon Souls is fucking spectacular both in terms of visuals and gameplay but the forced 'loop' mechanic is stabbing at me once again. I have to reinforce the point that I am not against replaying sections in games. Far from it. I've spent hundreds of hours in games like Devil May Cry 3 and 5 replaying sections and bosses to improve my game on the highest difficulty settings. The difference is that almost all of these replays were my choice and not forced upon me to progress the core game.

You also touch on the guide point I raised, which I have no doubt would make the repeated journey to TK and any other boss less tedious. My problem is I want to learn how to defeat all of them myself. I am hopeful that coming back to 1-2 after beating another area or two first will make this all go away.

Get into world 3. I haven’t played Bloodborne yet, but my understanding of it is that one of the ideas they were going for was making Latria: The Full Game.

I was solidly enjoying playing Demon’s Souls enough through worlds 1 and 2, but the two consecutive evenings-into-very-early-mornings playing through Latria were just utterly glorious. Just an astounding level, from top to bottom. So atmospheric. I’m quite sad I’ll never get the experience back of playing through sections 3-1 and 3-2 for the first time, which I guess is partly what your issue is with having to repeat areas, causing them to lose their shine, but it’s all worth it just for those first few goes, trying to learn the level.

I guess all that is partly what makes the Souls locations so great. We can enjoy them on many levels. First time through they’re exciting, intriguing, surprising and daunting, yet we’re eventually able to gain a feeling of mastery through familiarity, which is rewarding.

But yeah, you can never get back that first time, but that’s true of any game.

1 hour ago, Tomdominer said:

Hey people. I am having trouble getting pure white tendency on Stonefang. I've done both the AS and FL so can't seem to change my tendency without a lot of effort.

Does anyone want to volunteer to invade me and help me out?

Sure! How do we do that?

5 minutes ago, Rikku said:

As in, do we have to be in similar SL ranges? :D

Oh wait, we can password invasions too?!  Password I have set is rllmuk (all lower case)

Do you want me to come invade you now?!

Wait, what?! Does that mean you can effectively shield yourself from invasions?

2 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Wait, what?! Does that mean you can effectively shield yourself from invasions?

Am not sure, maybe I have misread it...

It says:

"Allow password-enabled invasions to bypass normal restrictions"