Demon's Souls - remake's OUT - mindful of the spoilers, please!

7 minutes ago, Majora said:

Took down Tower Knight today and then picked my way through 2-1 which is a great level but that run back to the boss is annoyingly long-winded. I know this boss isn't actually very difficult but I've died four times now and used up most of my health items so I'm probably going to go and see if I can help some other people for a bit. Should make farming for health items less annoying.

You maybe missed a shortcut that you can open up in 2-1? Using it you can get from the entrance archstone to the boss in a couple of minutes.

3 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

You maybe missed a shortcut that you can open up in 2-1? Using it you can get from the entrance archstone to the boss in a couple of minutes.

Yep, this. Once you’ve activated two different sets of mechanical apparatus it’s under a minute to the boss, and easy to dodge past the half dozen enemies on the way.

Hmmm, I may have missed one of the shortcuts then

Spoiler

I've activated the set of moving platforms near the start that either take you down to the blacksmith or up to the top of the level but once at the top I actually find this takes longer to get to the boss than just running through the level the normal route. So I must have missed something. Maybe that second set of moving platforms near the start, past the two guys who chuck boulders at you? They're still stationary, and also I never got to kill those guys

I've just taken my time with 1-1 and am ready to start fresh with the boss tomorrow night. No deaths yet but a couple of arse clenchers when my timing was off. 

Bluepoint have done a fantastic job with this because it really must be a tightrope to walk.  It's also a testament to the original team that they made a truly fantastic game that still holds up today.

@Majora

Have you

Spoiler

turned off the water wheel to quench the lava pit between the two sets of stairs?

Because that’s part of the run back. I.e. use the blacksmith lift, dodge the miners, down and up through the bit I just mentioned, past

Spoiler

the fat official with the exploding barrels (just let him blow them up first)

Past the dropping miner and onto the big lift to the boss. Under a minute I reckon. If you’ve found a quicker run back, use that.

Then cheese the bastard when you get there. :D

How the fuck do I get the Ring of Herculean Strength off. Vaseline? Fairy Liquid?

’Unable to remove this ring due to its effect on item carry capacity’ is the problem, so I sent a tonne of shite back to Stockpile T. The game still ain’t having it. 

My item burden is 117.3 / 150. What magic number do I need to be hitting before I can take this fucker off?

52 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

How the fuck do I get the Ring of Herculean Strength off. Vaseline? Fairy Liquid?

’Unable to remove this ring due to its effect on item carry capacity’ is the problem, so I sent a tonne of shite back to Stockpile T. The game still ain’t having it. 

My item burden is 117.3 / 150. What magic number do I need to be hitting before I can take this fucker off?

I'm so delighted my use of StockpileT is taking off.

Every time he says 'you have a heart of gold, don't let them take it from you', I hear it in this voice

image.thumb.png.a9702e5feac3153ac4490808230e9856.png

17 hours ago, Hexx said:

Might leave 3-1. It’s one of those times when FromS fuck up really irk as the rest of game design is strong. But 3 different one hit kill mechanics just isn’t fun. Sour taste is really putting me off the game, even though there’s other routes.

Was slowly getting a handle on the mindflayers and one hit kills and then Red Mindflayers :(

Really miss the estus flask. Limited consumables (esp for healing) is horrid 

Wasn't the estus flask more limited? You can have 50 each of the two early types of grass and 25 of the better one.  That's 125 healing consumables! As long as you are willing to put in the farm time... (I was practicing my parry and backstab timings on the blue skellies just before TK and quite quickly got to the max grass types as those guys always drop them) :)

Grabbed a black eye stone this morning and started invading...

It was super active but unfortunately seemed a bit broken to me. Possibly because of the games I was going into but the lag made it pretty unplayable, and that was every invasion. Like people would be no where near me when they swung and I would take the hit, likewise I would obviously hit someone and it wouldn’t register.

Also, I didn’t realise a successful invasion returned you to human form! It’s the ultimate perpetual system; you invade, become human, get invaded. 

After this I went into 3-1 and desperately tried to remember what was happening in the level. I eventually got to the bottom but couldn’t remember how to deal with the situation down there.

33 minutes ago, Rikku said:

As long as you are willing to put in the farm time... 

Yeah that's why it's worse. Hated it in Bloodborne and Sekiro to.

"Damn I died. Let's try again....oh nope got to spend time farming so I can try again" is nasty gameplay. The penalty for failure should be loss of time trying, not loss of time trying and extra time doing other activity.

It also changes exploration from "how far do I push my luck with X charges of healing" to "great I found Full Grass! I can explore even further in this run"

Annoyed at being one-shotted...I've lent into the glass cannon. Uped magic damage, lower magic defense. That's show em :D

And flame spray is insane :ph34r:

Total noob here.  I’m a couple of hours into my first play through  and am currently 30-40 mins into a run where I have 2,500 (ish) souls.  Is there any way to ‘cash in’ those souls before I get my ass handed to me by a boss? I have met a the merchant guy so I assume I could buy something from him, but I wondered if there’s anything else I could do?

I guess that this is the game, risk vs. reward. I feel quite deep into the level and just don’t fancy dying and not being able to get back to retrieve my souls. 

I know, I’m a baby.

9 minutes ago, Rob_Pulsar said:

Total noob here.  I’m a couple of hours into my first play through  and am currently 30-40 mins into a run where I have 2,500 (ish) souls.  Is there any way to ‘cash in’ those souls before I get my ass handed to me by a boss? I have met a the merchant guy so I assume I could buy something from him, but I wondered if there’s anything else I could do?

I guess that this is the game, risk vs. reward. I feel quite deep into the level and just don’t fancy dying and not being able to get back to retrieve my souls. 

I know, I’m a baby.

You can only 'cash in' your souls once the first boss is beaten. You're not being a baby, it terrifies everyone first time. Embrace it. Soon you'll be charging into unknown areas with 10,000 souls on the clock without batting an eyelid.

5 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Yeah that's why it's worse. Hated it in Bloodborne and Sekiro to.

"Damn I died. Let's try again....oh nope got to spend time farming so I can try again" is nasty gameplay. The penalty for failure should be loss of time trying, not loss of time trying and extra time doing other activity.

It also changes exploration from "how far do I push my luck with X charges of healing" to "great I found Full Grass! I can explore even further in this run"

Annoyed at being one-shotted...I've lent into the glass cannon. Uped magic damage, lower magic defense. That's show em :D

And flame spray is insane :ph34r:

For me, if you’ve got to go farm to get health back then you’re being too liberal with your healing items and not monitoring your survival.

You need to decide where you are, what you’ve achieved and what you intend to do before chugging health. There’s nothing wrong with bugging out and cashing in what you have.

Your complaint about nasty gameplay is all self inflicted. You worked yourself into a hole and now you’re complaining that you’re in a hole.

It’s also good to think about buying items when you DON’T need them.

I was jolly cooping at the 2-1 boss and everything I earned I went and spent in consumables. I bought a load of healing and a load of shards. I wasn’t interested in levelling I just wanted my stocks up while I was enjoying the game.

So, where are the 180 game play help videos located in this? I fundamentally don’t understand the PS5’s shite UI.

If I hit the PS button, or hover over the game icon in the Home screen I just get a couple of activity cards for levels I’m playing through. What am I missing?

Sekiro has a gourd which replenishes itself like estus? :unsure:

I finished this last night... Well, the PS3 version. I used the shameful cheese method on the boss because my dragon longsword +4 was weak as pish. If I wanted to upgrade it I would need super rare dragonstone chunks. Bloodborne it ain't.

1 hour ago, Goemon said:

For me, if you’ve got to go farm to get health back then you’re being too liberal with your healing items and not monitoring your survival.

You need to decide where you are, what you’ve achieved and what you intend to do before chugging health. There’s nothing wrong with bugging out and cashing in what you have.

Your complaint about nasty gameplay is all self inflicted. You worked yourself into a hole and now you’re complaining that you’re in a hole.

I was jolly cooping at the 2-1 boss and everything I earned I went and spent in consumables. I bought a load of healing and a load of shards. I wasn’t interested in levelling I just wanted my stocks up while I was enjoying the game.

Short version:

Git gud, noob. 

I love Souls. 

PSA once more for those who really don't like Souls, want to play this anyway, and may have missed this: start with a Royalty character. It'll give you a much more lenient point of entry as the magic spell and MP regen ring you get are lifesavers.

Just finished 4-1 even tho I accidentally shifted it to black tendency and ended up with red skeletons. 

I am absolutely loving this, when do you ever get a game this deep and meaty at launch. I think with the graphical makeover it puts it up there with my fave souls games, part of it is me only vaguely remembering this game so everything seems oddly familiar like I dreamt it, which adds to the atmosphere, kinda glad I didn't replay it with the others over the summer.

4-1 looks and sounds amazing. The lighting from the clouds in the rain. It's eerily real. Very subtle but remarkable.

Then you have the flappy fellas. The sound they make is chilling, and the look of them. Something not right, just makes me want to kill them. And then the green splinters... Absolutely spectacular stuff. Just beaten the 4-1 boss and absolutely loving this game. 

1 hour ago, kensei said:

Short version:

Git gud, noob. 

I love Souls. 

Ha! TBH I don’t think these games are as much about getting good (as fabled as that is) it’s more about getting smart.

99% of all other games make you brain dead. They’re too scared to challenge you and all that happens is you become lazy and expect it all on a plate

These games are like fuck that, we’re going to fucking kill you until you figure out how to deal with.
Everything is manageable though.

3 hours ago, Goemon said:

Doesn't everyone usually praise the estus flasks for the exact opposite reason to this though? That you can never get yourself into a hole? You always know where you are with the estus flasks, exactly how far you can push yourself on any given run before you admit that you may need to cash out your Souls or go back to the last bonfire rather than pressing on further. When you have consumable health items the line you should stop at becomes vaguer because you never know when you're going to get given more or if you need to buy more. With estus flasks you never need to worry about that.

I'm really enjoying this remake but it has the same problem for me that Bloodborne did. I don't really want to have to take time out farming for health when the Dark Souls games have a perfect health system for this style of game that doesn't require time farming just so I can have another crack at the boss. I'm also not a fan of being at 50% health nearly all the time. Items to restore your humanity are rare (I think I've collected one in about 10 hours) so most of the time I have the ring equipped that gives me 75% health instead of 50%. So I feel like I'm being punished for not being able to stay human by basically never having full health and having to constantly have one ring slot taken up just to mitigate that fact.

19 minutes ago, Majora said:

Doesn't everyone usually praise the estus flasks for the exact opposite reason to this though? That you can never get yourself into a hole? You always know where you are with the estus flasks, exactly how far you can push yourself on any given run before you admit that you may need to cash out your Souls or go back to the last bonfire rather than pressing on further. When you have consumable health items the line you should stop at becomes vaguer because you never know when you're going to get given more or if you need to buy more. With estus flasks you never need to worry about that.

I'm really enjoying this remake but it has the same problem for me that Bloodborne did. I don't really want to have to take time out farming for health when the Dark Souls games have a perfect health system for this style of game that doesn't require time farming just so I can have another crack at the boss. I'm also not a fan of being at 50% health nearly all the time. Items to restore your humanity are rare (I think I've collected one in about 10 hours) so most of the time I have the ring equipped that gives me 75% health instead of 50%. So I feel like I'm being punished for not being able to stay human by basically never having full health and having to constantly have one ring slot taken up just to mitigate that fact.

I think all your points are fair. But there's another side to it, in that if you have 3 estus and you're struggling with a boss that's all you have. In this you can (yes, by farming) stock up on 50 health items giving you much more health in reserve. I'm mediocre at the game, but after I 'got' the rhythm of the game I was never having to farm for health items. Although on my first play until I got the rhythm and became decent at the combat I was totally having to farm the shit out of 1-1.

Mild game structure spoilers:

Spoiler

Remember in this there are only really 15 'bonfires', 3 per Archstone. So for me it's a totally different mentality than DaS, where you could chip about and have 3 bonfires per 'level'. 2-1 is an entire 1 Bonfire level, so I'd make my way through a bit till I started shitting myself, go home and cash in with a level up and some healing items, spice etc. Revisit, work my way back and with experience go a bit further. But instead of the bonfires you almost have to checkpoint your own progress. I'm not saying it's a perfect system, but once I got that frame of mind I never had to farm for items. But of course different people will prefer different systems.

And with the health, it's best to think of half health as normal health and human form as a bonus. Unless you want to spend all your time with co-op or being invaded then just knock about in soul form. I tend to use the Cling ring all the time, but swap in and out the other ring as per the situation.

1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 4-1 done and dusted. Got my favourite weapon in all From games, the DeS Uchi. I'd forgotten how much more swish and brutal it is than the slowarse clunky DaS version. The ching from clashing weapons from the DS5 speaker is so sweet and the little flourish with the backstab animation is not getting old in the slightest, no mater how many times I see it, piercing R2 attach, great reach. What more could one want.

The only think I'm slightly miffed about is the weather on 1-4. In the original it was a fucking gale force 10 storm going on whereas now it's a slightly moody rainy tuesday in april.