Demon's Souls - remake's OUT - mindful of the spoilers, please!

14 minutes ago, Ferine said:

I don't believe there's any sort of embargo. People are streaming it on Twitch.

Here's the start of the game in high quality footage, thanks to Gamersyde. This is the 30fps 'Cinematic' mode that I don't think we've seen before.

Why did I watch this? 

Need like five hundred pounds... and to remodel my living room now ffs. Also for stock to become available. 

21 minutes ago, Uzi said:

I'm sure a studio who make excellent remasters of already excellent games without messing with them too much will totally balls this up.

This is no evidence of a "balls up", but I do think the criticisms that have been levelled here and elsewhere about the look of the new version have some value, and I wonder if they might be seen reflected in some reviews; so perhaps we will see a few slightly less stellar scores.

I mean, as someone who disliked the look of the original, and really likes the look of this, I do think the aesthetic divergence is a cause for reasonable  concern - the fact that I like it reflects the liberties they've taken, and in a remaster I consider it a questionable approach to take: particularly when Miyazaki is quite clear about the intentionality of his style.* The switch to gothic architecture discussed is an example of this, and enemy designs reflect similar deviation:

Again, I mostly like the new aesthetic (above enemy model notwithstanding), but I find it interesting that Bluepoint have considered the gameplay mechanics sacrosanct, but not the visual approach. I'd expect (and hope) that their approach will be at least a little divisive amongst critics as, while I like the result personally, it's not one I necessarily approve of conceptually, and would almost certainly be annoyed by if the original game's visuals hadn't been a large part of the reason I bounced off it. Particularly, again, when applied to a game/series known for its careful visual storytelling.

* which just happens to be a style I dislike

Yeah, I don't imagine the embargo is due to that, but PR departments are weird - if they got wind of even something as daft as some grumbling regarding the design decisions, they might decide to push reviews back to the wire to ensure that any slightly lowered scores/criticisms from vocal sources are left 'til last.

I doubt they would, though, because in general mainstream games reviewers' appreciation of and engagement with visual artistic values is pretty low, and I'd expect the marketing department to rely on that; my guess is they expect it to score well and are leaving it until last for a free last-minute hype boost. But, you never know!

Watched a play through of the first 30 minutes. Graphics look ok, maybe it was just the stream, but they are marred by a plain old HUD. Looks like it took all of 5 minutes to throw together. Not a big deal but hints towards a lack of polish. 

Game itself look like a regular old Souls game. Wander about, hit, dodge, examine bodies, try and stab people in the back, that sort of thing. Didn’t look like they’ve done anything new with it, which could be a good or bad thing, depending on your preference. 

35 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Watched a play through of the first 30 minutes. Graphics look ok, maybe it was just the stream, but they are marred by a plain old HUD. Looks like it took all of 5 minutes to throw together. Not a big deal but hints towards a lack of polish. 

Game itself look like a regular old Souls game. Wander about, hit, dodge, examine bodies, try and stab people in the back, that sort of thing. Didn’t look like they’ve done anything new with it, which could be a good or bad thing, depending on your preference. 

image.jpeg.94abb27e8e29c804fa5a24186a6088f7.jpeg

38 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

This has to be trolling. 

"Looks like it took all of 5 minutes to throw together."

WTF?

If you want to learn how much work Bluepoint put into this and why it's a towering technical achievement.

3 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

This has to be trolling. 

WTF?

If you want to learn how much work Bluepoint put into this and why it's a towering technical achievement.

90% of rllmuk is trolling in plain sight. 
Someone tells them to “go away” with a swear and bam! Ban hammer and troll mission accomplished. 

37 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

This has to be trolling. 

WTF?

Any chance of a quick summary without spoilers please? I've not played it and want to go in as blind as possible.

55 minutes ago, Minion said:

Any chance of a quick summary without spoilers please? I've not played it and want to go in as blind as possible.

It's an interview with Bluepoint talking about the development process. It's not a tech review as John hasn't played it yet.

Performance Mode seems the way to go. You'll lose some tesselation and the reflections are less good, but they're really close otherwise and you'll gain 60 fps.

Yes, one of the devs pretty much recommended going for performance mode in that DF video.  It’s definitely the mode I’ll be going for.  Miles Morales seems tougher decision as the fidelity mode with raytracing looks insanely good, and maybe worth the trade off for 60fps. Great to have choices though!

1 hour ago, Minion said:

Anyone order from Base.com or have any experience with them in the past? Tempted to order it now and they're one of the cheapest at £64 *ouch!

No problems, I ordered this a week ago, they dispatched yesterday and I received it today which is technically a day before release.

Only problem is no console to play it on!

• robdood changed the title to Demon's Souls - remake's OUT - mindful of the spoilers, please!