Demon's Souls - remake's OUT - mindful of the spoilers, please!

2 hours ago, Benny said:

fan art version

You make it sound like some depressing furry Sonic Deviant Art page :lol:

For me, the creatures in the remake look pretty similar to some of the concept art you see in the Dark Souls Design Works series of books. They’re not a crazy departure and, if anything, the greater level of detail afforded by a bigger budget combined with more powerful hardware means we’re now able to see something closer to that type of art work come to life.

The OG game had assets crop up in other games, including two boss character models. They hardly treated the source sacredly themselves.

My one slight, not entirely genuine concern is that the architectural style throughout seems to veer too far towards the Gothic, whereas the original had more of a Classical sort of look, from what I’ve seen from clips.

I’ve never played the original so it’s not totally ruining things for me or anything like that, but if I was a hardcore OG Demon’s Souls loyalist I’d imagine it would get on my tits when combined with my profession-related areas of interest.

The BluePoint dude in the State of Play video did make a point that they really wanted to depict Boletaria as a once beautiful and opulent kingdom which is now doomed, which are both themes that lend themselves well to gothic architecture, so I can appreciate where they’re coming from. It’s their own further spin on environmental storytelling, a facet of the original that the same guy mentions in his introduction as being one of the main pillars of the whole series. 

11 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

The BluePoint dude in the State of Play video did make a point that they really wanted to depict Boletaria as a once beautiful and opulent kingdom which is now doomed, which are both themes that lend themselves well to gothic architecture

To me that in a way makes the move worse, as it suggests playing into cliche. More games using other historic/ancient architecture as inspiration for doomed cultures, please! Give me the ruins of psuedo-Carthage; the haunted remains of an artificial-feeling renaissance France chateaux; an overrun Mayan city!

(obviously not in this game, I'm not sure anyone wants quite that severe of a makeover)

I was relieved to see a hefty old fat roll in that State Of Play footage which has eased my concerns about them changing the gameplay too much. Building yourself up so you can wear flashy armour without fat rolling is part of the core experience :quote:

Taking into account my profession-related area of interest I can't even look at the hud and font changes without breaking out into a minor sweat but i'm sure it will grow on me.

Just now, Wiper said:

To me that in a way makes the move worse, as it suggests playing into cliche. More games using other historic/ancient architecture as inspiration for doomed cultures, please! Give me the ruins of psuedo-Carthage; the haunted remains of an artificial-feeling renaissance France chateaux!

I actually totally agree. I appreciate where they’re coming from and why they’re going with attempting to evoke such a specific architectural period, but as someone earlier in one of these threads pointed out, the original perhaps had an otherworldliness to it that unsettled the player and made it more difficult for them to get a foothold on where they were and how they were supposed to feel at any given moment. It doesn’t act on the player’s own experiences or prejudices, however subliminally all that stuff might have been tapped. Again, I never played it, but I can understand the sentiment.

It's pretty clear that From Software's Demon's Souls would have looked very different if it had the budget of say Dark Souls 3 or Sekiro (and more modern tech to work with). Bluepoint basically made an AAA version of an AA game, but stays remarkably close to From's original version I think. Like stated before, it now looks closer to From's original artwork.

3 hours ago, Spacehost said:

This has been bugging me for years, and it's a bit of a big issue, maybe some old hands can help:

Hide contents

Am I the only one incapable of reading "Demons Souls" without it being to the tune of Even Flow by Pearl Jam?

Demons Souls
Float about like butterflies
Oh he don't know, so he chases anyway
Someday yet

he'll go splat his life again
Life again, life again

Not anymore.

Was half expecting someone to compare Orkney to the Valley of Defilement... I should have made that disclaimer lol

Spoiler

Mary Shelley described it in similar terms already

(Although, I do have cloudy memories of drunken country dances that felt like the Tower of Latria)

10 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

Actually, that’s a point. Certainly Dark Souls 1 had environments that were very blatantly inspired by various real world locations.

I guess the series isn’t that otherworldly after all. It’s realworldly.

That's so neat, especially the crystal caves! 

Totally, that irl location looks absolutely incredible. When you play that bit of the game it just seems beyond fantastical, but apparently not :blink:

I’ve been to the Duomo in Milan (Anor Londo inspiration) but it was before I’d ever played Dark Souls. Would love to revisit it having since played the game.

On 08/11/2020 at 19:11, Dave White said:

Could one of you kind souls please confirm, That there is no distant relation to Rom the fucking bastard thing from bloodborne in this. 

Of all the bosses in all the souls like games that thing nearly tipped me over. 
Although I did nearly dragon punch a hole in my ceiling when he died. 

You clearly didn't use the lightning rod (aka tonitrus) at that point then.

17 minutes ago, Steven said:

Anybody here know when reviews are meant to drop for this? Has to be today, surely?

It sounds like people are just getting the game today, but perhaps there won't be an embargo on impressions/videos given the proximity to launch.

2 minutes ago, Ferine said:

It sounds like people are just getting the game today, but perhaps there won't be an embargo on impressions/videos given the proximity to launch.

That's usually not the greatest sign. It's happened before but don't Sony usually have their big hitters review a decent time before launch?

Odd.

Usually they aren't launching a console.

Everything's coming in very hot right now, so I wouldn't say it necessarily means anything other than developers are trying to get their games ready for a console launch during a global pandemic. Most people on here will have to wait another week anyway, so I guess we'll see.

I get that side of things. It just seems odd to have one of your two 'killer apps' unavailable for press hours before launch, either physically or in code form when people have had their physical copies dispatched from retailers already. 

Unless they know it's going to be the best thing since sliced bread and those impressions are the ones they want coming out today and tomorrow going in to launch.

Edit - probably that as Sackboy Impressions are now trickling out; I suppose they're saving Demon's for very last in the staggered drops.

22 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

Actually, that’s a point. Certainly Dark Souls 1 had environments that were very blatantly inspired by various real world locations.

I guess the series isn’t that otherworldly after all. It’s realworldly.

That video is excellent!

I was watching Long Way Up and they visited a church in Ecuador that I was convinced could be a miniature Anor Londo

Spoiler

501478077_LongWayUp-S01E08-Ecuador-WEBDL-1080p.mkv_snapshot_35.35_2020_11_11_11_47_46.thumb.jpg.a25b87ca96b079eec82c3e025ee814bf.jpg

1482246261_LongWayUp-S01E08-Ecuador-WEBDL-1080p.mkv_snapshot_36.23_2020_11_11_11_48_50.thumb.jpg.f9481b29f8796059bf10f7934170d548.jpg

245212801_LongWayUp-S01E08-Ecuador-WEBDL-1080p.mkv_snapshot_36.26_2020_11_11_11_49_01.thumb.jpg.5813cf5f7be17ae7905172581558df0d.jpg

On 10/11/2020 at 11:51, Wiper said:

To me that in a way makes the move worse, as it suggests playing into cliche.

Bit of a tangent, but I felt this way about the Resident Evil remake back in 2002. The original Spencer mansion was fairly modern, more like the creepy Overlook Hotel in The Shining, whilst the remake was a cobwebs & candles Luigi's Mansion cliché. It looked very impressive (still does?), for sure.

2 hours ago, Steven said:

That's usually not the greatest sign. It's happened before but don't Sony usually have their big hitters review a decent time before launch?

Odd.

I don't want to invoke the phrase, but do you sincerely believe this is something to worry about?

• robdood changed the title to Demon's Souls - remake's OUT - mindful of the spoilers, please!