Jump to content

Demon's Souls - remake's OUT - mindful of the spoilers, please!


Recommended Posts

Yeah, the exclusive items is a bit shit but they don't look like stuff I'll need anyway. It's only a few items, the rest can be unlocked in-game it seems. I'll pre-order the standard version, so I'll at least have the scythe. No idea what it does but hey, it's a scythe.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd assume the 'exclusive' items are just reskins of equipment already in the game, e.g. Red-Eye Knight Armour has the same stats as Fluted Knight Armour.

 

Not that I'm trying to excuse the rip-off that is the Digital Deluxe edition.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vemsie said:

Yeah, the exclusive items is a bit shit but they don't look like stuff I'll need anyway. It's only a few items, the rest can be unlocked in-game it seems. I'll pre-order the standard version, so I'll at least have the scythe. No idea what it does but hey, it's a scythe.

 

Not even sure about the Scythe. The new Store makes no mention of pre-order bonuses at all.

 

[edit] OK, so it seems the EU site is just incomplete currently as the US site has visual info and confirms the Scythe:

 

image.thumb.png.3f117244658d28285730f04f5fba8d18.png

image.thumb.png.6eca3d2f04cf37673087a6954b00930f.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

That new trailer is pretty bloody impressive. It's enough to make me rethink getting an XSX...

 

you're not wrong. I hate the 'souls games, and yet after watching that I want to give it another chance.

 

I might fire up the PS3 later...

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SeanR said:

 

you're not wrong. I hate the 'souls games, and yet after watching that I want to give it another chance.

 

I might fire up the PS3 later...

 

Well I love the Souls games, and yet I haven't played Demon's.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, robdood said:

This stuff sucks though, new items exclusive to the deluxe edition:

 

image.png.ed95843e8a85c214f1f09433d9e8890a.png

 

Can you not drop items like in the Dark Souls games or is there no trading like Bloodborne?

Link to post
Share on other sites

The interview stuff about haptic feedback working in conjunction with the audio and visuals so you can actually feel your sword connecting, bow being pulled back etc made the Dual Sense sound more like a relevant new feature rather than a marketing gimmick, the way it can give you a bit of additional feedback about whether your attack has been successful just by the way it feels adds another layer of subtle tactics and detail. I thought haptics would just be another unused/meh feature like the PS4 touch pad but this does actually sound worthwhile.

 

The Bluepoint guy comes across well in interviews, really enjoyed listening to him. This looks like an amazing launch title, just need to bag a pre-order now.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a weird one to remaster. SOTC barely ran on the PS2, so remasters were welcome - The PS4 version is amazing, but Demon's Souls ran well enough, despite being ambitious. This launch title gives us nothing apart from eye candy.

 

That video of the spider and Flame Lurker... I mean, I already spent that adrenaline.

 

People will buy it, mash attach a few times and still hate it. The difference is for some, it will be a digital purchase so they'll be stuck with it!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bluepoint just don't get it, man. Their enemy designs simply don't have the sombre intentionality of From's, like when they solemnly Ctrl+Ved this guy from Enchanted Arms and gave him an axe:

 

image.thumb.png.37193b2603487407e94edc2b35ffeb00.png

 

When it comes to art style I'd say the original Demon's Souls was a weird hodgepodge slathered in bloom. This certainly gave it a charm of sorts, but if we want to talk about tonality and 'character' I'd say that was more down to the audio. Much as the game design doesn't lead the player by the hand, the absence of music outside key moments is highly effective in stripping away any sense of being guided, giving exploration a pace that's set by the player.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to this, I find it quite the interesting experiment having a Japanese game influenced by western style rpg's remade by a western company, it's gone a bit too Lord of the Rings but I am still eager to see what they have done with all the monster designs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

It's a weird one to remaster. SOTC barely ran on the PS2, so remasters were welcome - The PS4 version is amazing, but Demon's Souls ran well enough, despite being ambitious. This launch title gives us nothing apart from eye candy.

 

That video of the spider and Flame Lurker... I mean, I already spent that adrenaline.

 

People will buy it, mash attach a few times and still hate it. The difference is for some, it will be a digital purchase so they'll be stuck with it!

I’d argue that 60FPS versus the sub 30 that the PS3 game ran at, 8 way directional movement, and near instant loading adds a lot more to the experience than just eye candy, it’s not “nothing” anyway. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I’d argue that 60FPS versus the sub 30 that the PS3 game ran at, 8 way directional movement, and near instant loading adds a lot more to the experience than just eye candy, it’s not “nothing” anyway. 


Plus they've removed bugs, made more QoL improvements, added 3D audio, upped the player count for MP, added the DualSense features etc.

It also makes sense to remake this, because it's an old game, locked away in a different gen on an old system. And Souls has exploded in popularity since.

It's gonna be amazing!
 


Also, someone on ResetEra recently posted some art design for the original Demon's Souls that were actually more in line with what BluePoint is doing. It seems to me that From would have loved to make a game that looks like this if they had the technology and technical chops to pull it off at the time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm torn with this one. It looks spectacular and I never played it first time around, but.....

 

The renowned difficulty level is scaring me off. I didn't get on with Bloodborne so feel Dark Souls would kick my ass without a shit gamer difficulty setting.

Bit of a downer as I really like the look of it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • robdood changed the title to Demon's Souls - remake's OUT - mindful of the spoilers, please!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.