Demon's Souls - remake's OUT - mindful of the spoilers, please!

robdood

That was actually there to help you, you must have missed the sign!

Don't get frustrated about repeating areas - it's just the way it is. It's designed that way to make you improve your skills and for the rewards to be that much sweeter. In Dark Souls I've been through some areas 100, 200 times, maybe even more. Some of the harder bosses trapped me for weeks, over a month for one of the more notorious bosses. But Christ, the pure elation when you finally overcome a bastard of an area is the best feeling in gaming. Never gets old.

Aye, as I was being crushed I could see the balls would flatten all the enemies ahead. I somehow managed to surf on the balls for a few seconds.

This and Dark Souls probably require an initial investment in patience, much more than most games. For people like yourself who invested it seems to be giving back in spades. Right now I'm sat at work and really fancy giving it another go. Just need to turn the phone off, turn the PC off, sod everything else and concentrate. That's the hardest thing of all.

Speaking of jumping down holes that one right at the start of Boletarian Palace is a weird one since it's got all that spooky misty stuff coming out of it. I'm sure they intentionally made it look 'special' so that people (ie me) would try jumping into it because I can't remember anything looking similar to that in the rest of the game so far and I've only got a couple more areas to do.

1-1 defnitely requires a huge investment in patience, it's a far bigger level than you might expect for a starting area and traversing the whole thing in one go to open up the shortcut probably takes about an hour when you finally do it for the first time. 1-2 is a canter in comparison.

Speaking of jumping down holes that one right at the start of Boletarian Palace is a weird one since it's got all that spooky misty stuff coming out of it. I'm sure they intentionally made it look 'special' so that people (ie me) would try jumping into it because I can't remember anything looking similar to that in the rest of the game so far and I've only got a couple more areas to do.

Started playing this today, good thing there was a load of "trap" comments around or I would've jumped right in.

Seriously it looks like a Healthy white pit of magic goodness :lol:

I'm a fucking moron. Put some podcasts on, got a refreshing beverage and sat down to farm for Pure Bladestone last night.

I was in PWWT, spoke to Satsuki, killed him (moving me three points toward black I think?) then suicided in body form a few times. Back into 4-1 to verify I was in PBWT by seeing BP Satsuki, killed him and then went back to 4-2 to farm that skeleton all pleased with myself. It was about and hour or so later when I was going to bed it dawned on me out of nowhere that killing BP Satsuki had put me back to neutral. Ah well.

I'm using the Makoto now and it's the best thing. I'd always used the Dragon Long Sword previously but the moveset on this thing is a beautiful sight, utter poetry. Deadly, deadly poetry.

Just finished my first playthrough - what a game.

Did mess up a bit not realising there was stuff I should've done before going on to NG+ which might make things a bit harder if I have another go one day but who cares about that.

Actually I did play through 1-1 again while I'm fresh so I could level up.. Fuck losing 130k of post-game souls through rustiness.

Congratulations man! Now, Dark Souls.

This character I'm using at the moment was meant to be my co-op guy, but I've played through about half the game and am already ten levels above the dude I completed it with for the first time due to the ludicrous amount of souls I've accumulated trying to get this bladestone. Am I fuck stopping now.

My cack-handedness is getting me down. Even easy opponents seem to get past my shield or I inadvertently step back when I need to parry. It makes an already tough game harder because I only have myself to blame. Losing some patience now, which in this game is a killer, it's like "right, you fucker, you're getting fucking sliced!", spam the attack button in frustration as I just want this easy so-and-so to pay for getting in my way.

And then my axe broke.

Congratulations man! Now, Dark Souls.

Cheers dude. Indeed, Dark Souls. Indeed. [omar.jpg]

Oh yeah, forgot to illustrate that issue I mentioned regarding hoarding items 'in case I need them later'. I'm always fucking terrible for this. Ended the game with well over a hundred of each moon grass apart from the last, rarer, couple (which I never used at all) and didn't use a single stone of ephemeral eyes. Talk about handicapping yourself :facepalm:

Vimster I don't know what sort of character build you've got but if it helps simplify things I got through the entire game fine without using the backstep (which seemed next to useless whenever I experimented with it), the parry (couldn't get the timing down consistently) or backstabs (which felt too fiddly to properly rely on). Block 'n' roll all the way :)

Lock, block and roll/strafe is what I do 90% of the time as well. Check you're using a 100% block shield to, I think the heater shield and the kite shield can be found early. Otherwise all those little nibbles of damage add up.

Kicked this off last night, I think having played Dark Souls definitely helps... can you backstab in this though? One thing I noticed is parry/riposte seems a hell of a lot easier. Only just reached the nexus though, so it's undoubtedly going to get trickier :)

Actually yeah, that was the nicest bit. I thought it'd be empty but I'm seeing more wandering spirits in one go probably than I ever did in Dark Souls, but maybe that's down to the different structure of the world as much as anything. Still, should mean that summon/summoning gets more action.

The other thing is, what's all this 1-1, 2-4 level stuff? In the nexus what I'm presuming are the levels seem to be named rather than numbered, so how do I know which maps to which? Presumably the first (only?) one that's accessible is 1-1 but it seems a weird way to name it all.

As you say, they're not named like that in-game, it's just a convention people adopted.

After each demon is an Archstone which you can warp to from the Nexus so rather than say Adjudicator's Archstone, people say 4-2 and so on.

The first number represents the area as represented by the stones in the Nexus. It goes clockwise from the bottom left. The 2nd is the Archstone within that area you want to go to.

Boletaria Palace has 4 areas, the rest have 3 with the 3rd being a world boss encounter.

It's incredible how populated it is now. Dark Soul's was never as busy as this either. The reason is obvious but it's good to see.

Yep, the gameworld is heaving with other players, it's especially useful/hilarious to see them accidentally chucking themselves over ledges, triggering traps and legging it in the opposite direction of enemies.

It definitely seems harder than Dark. I've got two identical characters on the go, one to do a reccy mission, the other to try and do it properly without losing too many souls but I'm still getting murdered.

Love the weird spookiness of the Nexus, great atmosphere.

it's especially useful/hilarious to see them accidentally chucking themselves over ledges, triggering traps and legging it in the opposite direction of enemies.

Yeah, I love this. Watching the corpse runs of the bloodstains is at least going to give you some useful info, and at the most it'll be hilarious.

I had a lot of fun with Hyper Mode this evening. Running about with the Morion Blade, Clever Rat's Ring and Homing Soul Arrow/Soul Arrow. It was total overkill really, but I figured since those black knights could still oneshot me if I was careless, I should up my game a bit!

I cleared all of the final area of Boletaria Palace and got that key and two shotted *that* boss. Although he one shotted me plenty of times along the way!

I need some tips for the Maneaters.

Whilst I can't claim this to be effective for everybody I only managed to take them down once I completely changed my approach. I two handed my weapon (an upgraded Claymore), I stopped using the lock-on and just committed to only ever rolling to avoid their attacks. More importantly, rolling towards and past them so I can wail on them from behind.

Sure, it wasn't a pretty set of attempts but aggressive definitely worked out better in the end as my eventual success left me thinking "Holy crap, how did I manage that kill so quick?!".

Good luck brave soul.

Using the brazier to keep some distance between them still works, just stand further away from it. I don't know how effective it would be with two of them at the same time though.

My approach was to be really aggressive with the first guy and defensive with the second using the brazier to keep a gap but not one so big he starts flying and using magic.

Using the brazier to keep some distance between them still works, just stand further away from it. I don't know how effective it would be with two of them at the same time though.

My approach was to be really aggressive with the first guy and defensive with the second using the brazier to keep a gap but not one so big he starts flying and using magic.

Pretty much what I did too, but two handed sword. You have to kill that 1st one really quick as having two of them at the same time is fucking tough going. Then you can take your time with the 2nd one. Gotta be careful not to roll off the side if you are locked on though, I must've died 3-4 times like that.

Loving replaying this (using lessons learned from Dark Souls)! Been doing a fair bit of offline play, too, as I've never seen the pure white/black tendancy areas before so it's been nice to get all the guff from the Latrian prison and the start of the first area. I'd forgot just how different some of the mechanics were, though - the idea of having as much magic as you like (via spice) rather than a fixed amount is weird in retrospect.