IGNORED

Over/Underexposure of games

Capwn

There were homemade gameplay videos on Youtube floating about at least a fortnight before the official date.

THREAD FAILS

100% no. The only leaked footage was someone who had the disc early but he only showed the first few mins which was just cutscenes. The first collection of footage started to appear hours before the launch.

He's right for the most part. Only when the game appeared on newsgroups did it start to appear on streaming sites and that. Everything before that was fake.

I don't think it was particularly significant for how the game sold. Maybe it helped the hype a little, but it was always going to be queues-in-Asda big.

Yeah it worked because it was a unique powerhouse franchise. It'll happen/work again on GTA5.

Not with me this time, I'm sure I won't be alone. It'll be the first time that I'll be hesitant about a GTA title.

Big changes are needed. BIG changes.

i saw videos 2 days before it was officially released (although i myself was playing it upto a week before).

Youtube banned my account for uploading a GTA4 video (on the day of release!!!). Sucks as I had loads of videos on my account and the GTA4 video got 200,000 hits within 36 hours =/

i saw videos 2 days before it was officially released (although i myself was playing it upto a week before).

Youtube banned my account for uploading a GTA4 video (on the day of release!!!). Sucks as I had loads of videos on my account and the GTA4 video got 200,000 hits within 36 hours =/

That's crazy that they banned your account. I've had Fox remove videos from my account, but there was no ban, just them ruining my successful effort at promoting one of their shows for them. Silly people.

That's crazy that they banned your account. I've had Fox remove videos from my account, but there was no ban, just them ruining my successful effort at promoting one of their shows for them. Silly people.

Well apparently they operate on a 3 strike rule. Apparently in the past i had 2 other things removed due to copyright - which is complete bullcrap because ive only ever uploaded silly videos until the GTA4 one.

Well actuallly i had uploaded the entire 4 series of Bad Influence but they never got removed or anything. I think that was the worst thing, because they took me months to upload :P

I only bought a 360 just after it came out and many months earlier I remember watching a trailer on Rockstar's website which showed a car driving by the bit with the roller coaster, so this thread's premise is not true. At the time I didn't believe that all the geometry of that rollercoaster could really be rendered properly in realtime!

It's just an example of how not to do it. DLC is something that has to be nurtured. It's no good releasing a game and then releasing downloadables 8 months later. It'll have lost all the buzz by then. They really should have had something out 3 months later, then more missions, then more, do it that way. They don't even have to be episodic as such, just new things to see and do.

Which people forget this? I spent ages pointing this out in the run up to release, and got bitched at by Uzi et al for my troubles.

Bottom line is that this forum enjoys baseless hype, and that it's very easy to point these things out in hindsight. Try pointing them out beforehand and, well, people get upset.