rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Moz

Jonathan Creek New Years Special (now featuring Easter special talk)

Yeah very disappointing. Strange that they showed the solution upfront, it's as if they knew it wasn't strong enough to be the focal point for the episode.

Still, nice to see the old abstract art the wrong way up device used yet again.

I was an absolute addict to Jonathan Creek when I was a kid, and despite the last few episodes being poorly written and having awful storylines, I was still fairly excited about this.

I've just finished watching the first episode and thought it absolutely stank. Awful acting (especially from the French woman when she found the body), no mystery at all (I was convinced that the make-up guy had somehow done something to 'finish her off', and just a load of unnecessary / odd things happening.

e.g. who texts somebody to tell them their Dad is dead? And when the police took the stabbed girl out of the room, the make-up artist literally slammed the door shut the second they'd left. Just stupid.

I'll still watch next weeks episode due to the feelings I once had for the show, but if the quality doesn't improve I'm out.

• Upvote 1

The actress who plays his wife annoys me too. I cannot even begin to fathom why they thought it was a good idea to show how the mystery was done before it was solved, the whole point to shows like this is to point out your stupidity by not realising it. It's like a cbeebies version of Jonathan Creek.

Episode 2 is about a million times better and on format. Wonder if they're ghostwriting some of the episodes.

Really? The main 'mystery' was ok but all those terrible cock jokes and the portrait?!

Thing is, I re-watched all of the older episodes in the last few months and you'd be surprised how 'filthy' they are and how many double entendres are littered throughout. It was always most keenly seen through Adam Klaus and his ridiculous sub-plots, but as a writer, Renwick is horribly filthy, in a quite pervy and leery way. No different at all with the episode last night to many of the past and just like some of the older episodes, the ones that don't have that sleazy underlying tone are the better ones.

The Letters of Septimus Noone - the best thing was undoubtedly Ridley as the Sherlock wannabe. It felt very disjointed though, probably as a result of cramming it into an hour.

I found the central mystery in the last one to be underwhelming.

Essentially, they uncover some numbers and wonder how they could possibly be lottery numbers fifty years later unless it's all just one massive coincidence. But... it basically turns out that it was just a massive coincidence. Buh?

I used to love this show as a kid but it's been terrible for so long now that I can't be bothered watching the new episodes. 

Was tonight's any good or was it the same drivel that they've been producing for at least a decade? 90 minutes is too long to endure if it hasn't dramatically improved. 

Yeah, it was pretty awful. The recent mysteries have all depended on a lucky event, impossible leaps of logic or nonsense traps. Every one of the original series was grounded in reality. It might have been ridiculous how Creek solved them but the actual events made sense. 

And that's not to get started on the Creeks being behind an actual murder in this one.

It beggars belief that the guy behind One Foot In The Grave and the original series, two of my favourite shows of all time, is writing these. They lack practically everything from the original series other than the name.

I don't think you're allowed to douse someone in oil and set them alight, even in self defence, are you? That was more than silly.

• Upvote 1

Parts were funny, I really liked Warwick Davis, but something has fundamentally changed. Jonathan Creek is a murderer now. Where once he would have used his smarts to get out of a crisis, instead, this Christmas, he wilfully killed a man. That can never be put back in the bottle.

I guess the creator's chewing through a very poorly judged contractual commitment to the BBC and just trying to get it cancelled now.

Just catching up on this. I like the

90 degree room and the poison pellet

but the recent episodes are padded out with lots of convoluted little mini-puzzles that are often preposterous and confusingly plotted. The worst offender (and I won't spoiler it because it's fucking ridiculous) was the PHONE-Y reveal. So completely laughable, how did it get the go-ahead from anyone!? They could've written a perfectly fine episode out of those two puzzles and solutions, surely. The final reveal of the woman in the photograph was a complete copout too. And yes, dear, just burn this guy to death will you?

PHONE-Y was the most incredibly ill-thought out concept I've ever witnessed in a 'murder mystery'. Was that the last ever episode? It certainly was for me.

• Upvote 1

I too was disappointed with this. I used to watch Jonathan Creek back in the day and the first couple of series were really solid writing and cleverly constructed.

However I think as the original series wore on (and seemingly in these one off episodes) that they are trying way, way too hard to come up with incredibly complicated and illogical set ups that require way too much in terms of both connecting the dots, unlikely sequences of events and just impossible coincidences. Then due to lack of confidence in the puzzle itself they felt the need to throw in dozens of pointless red herrings and dead ends to try to paper over the cracks.

it feels like all those poor Sonic games where Sonic Team seemed to think the only thing people liked about the character/game was the speed. How many times did you see a new Sonic game announced with "Fastest Ever Sonic" or "He's back and faster than ever" etc Ignoring what made the Megadrive games so good - the level design and "flow" of the game

Same with these - the writers seems to think "people like the complexity" so have taken it to extremes.

The best of these set ups take a very simple idea e.g. Seeing things from a very specific perspective (e.g. Witnessing something and thinking you have seen something when you haven't) or the only logical explanation seeming impossible but having a logical (but clever) explanation.

The whole point is the Jonathan Creek works these things out through a series of clues and relying on his own background in making the impossible seem possible (e.g. Cleverly constructed props and tricks to allow for on stage "magic" I.e. He understands the concept of the hidden door, sleight of hand, making people believe they have seen something impossible)

Now it seems like there are 6 or 7 storylines running and they have photoshopped Alan Davies in from out takes of previous episodes and backstage at QI like all those Bruce Lee (starring Bruce Lei/Lie/Li/Le) films that came out after the martial artists untimely death.

The writers need to get back confidence to just have a single clever set up and run with it. It is telling that the plot/explanation for the poisoned water in the locker room was far more elegant (and coherent and interesting) than the main mystery.

• Upvote 1

Watched about two minutes of this - Jonathan Creek hiding in a cupboard while a man the same size as him threatened someone (new Mrs?) with a knife, and then they kicked him down a hole and burned him alive for no real reason. Jonathan Creek got fucking weird, man.

All this talk of Creek setting a man alight is making me intrigued to watch this episode.