Sign in to follow this  
Asura

All-in-one surround-sound headsets

Just to state, CoolestStuff won't actually have them in stock for a month (despite claiming them to be "available" on their site :D).

Does anyone know anywhere else that stocks the AX360's that isn't Amazon.com or CoolestStuff?

I got mine from cooleststuff about 3 months back and they got them to me in about a week which I thought was pretty good.

Nice headphones with great sound and very useful if you have limited space and no headphone jack on your TV. They run out the digital output on the 360 and he mini AMP does the rest.

Only problem I have found with them is that they are pretty damn big and can make your ears damn hot. Also the chat really doesnt work very well.

There is a simple way around the chat problem...in your 360 settings set voice chat to 10 and get it to 'play through both'. You then need to reduce all in-game volumne setting to about 1/3 and it all works quite nicely. Of course it's only online games where you use chat that you need to do this for, all other stuff is fine with default settings.

I got my AX360s in the post yesterday, and they seem pretty good. Only tried them with The Force Unleashed so far, and though the sound quality was good, the balance between the different "speakers" was way off and will need tweaking.

That being said, I think it's going to make me realise that not all games are equal in terms of how they use digital 5.1.

I got my AX360s in the post yesterday, and they seem pretty good. Only tried them with The Force Unleashed so far, and though the sound quality was good, the balance between the different "speakers" was way off and will need tweaking.

That being said, I think it's going to make me realise that not all games are equal in terms of how they use digital 5.1.

Make sure you adjust the delay for the mid and rear speakers to the maximum they will go for each, as well - it really adds to the perception of surround sound.

I normally have front speakers on 5, mid on 7 and rear on 8, with vibration set to 10 - then adjust the master volume on the box to suit. Seems to work best for me, though you'll probably tweak them endlessly for the first few weeks.

Fallout 3 is very good through these headphones.

Make sure you adjust the delay for the mid and rear speakers to the maximum they will go for each, as well - it really adds to the perception of surround sound.

I normally have front speakers on 5, mid on 7 and rear on 8, with vibration set to 10 - then adjust the master volume on the box to suit. Seems to work best for me, though you'll probably tweak them endlessly for the first few weeks.

Fallout 3 is very good through these headphones.

Can you tell me how to adjust the delay? I didn't see that in the instructions; I saw that it could be tweaked, but not the instructions as to how to go about it.

Also, what exactly does that do? Does it literally make the front/rear speakers sound off at different times if you hear a gunshot? Isn't that worse?

Can you tell me how to adjust the delay? I didn't see that in the instructions; I saw that it could be tweaked, but not the instructions as to how to go about it.

Also, what exactly does that do? Does it literally make the front/rear speakers sound off at different times if you hear a gunshot? Isn't that worse?

There are two switches on the control box. Set the right-hand one to TD/DRC to tell it that you want to adjust the time delay, then the left-hand switch will tell it whether you want to adjust the centre or surround speakers. Then press the + button a whole load of times to up the delay. If you press it about 20 times on each setting, it'll basically set both to the max. Then set the original switch back to VOL to get your normal volume controls back.

I don't know exactly what it does, and the effect is fairly subtle, but it does seem to make things sound more convincing.

Personally I also find turning on DRC improves the sound quality, you might want to give it a try: with the right-hand switch set to TD/DRC, press the DRC button.

Really, though, just play around with the things till you find the settings you prefer.

There are two switches on the control box. Set the right-hand one to TD/DRC to tell it that you want to adjust the time delay, then the left-hand switch will tell it whether you want to adjust the centre or surround speakers. Then press the + button a whole load of times to up the delay. If you press it about 20 times on each setting, it'll basically set both to the max. Then set the original switch back to VOL to get your normal volume controls back.

I don't know exactly what it does, and the effect is fairly subtle, but it does seem to make things sound more convincing.

Personally I also find turning on DRC improves the sound quality, you might want to give it a try: with the right-hand switch set to TD/DRC, press the DRC button.

Really, though, just play around with the things till you find the settings you prefer.

Surely though I want to turn the delay on the centre speaker down, and the surround speakers up?

I've got a new problem; it doesn't actually seem to be giving me digital 5.1 sound - the digital light is never on, and I suspect it's just giving me digital stereo.

I've connected it up as explained in the startup guide.

I'm plugging the optical digital straight into the the back of the Xbox 360's AV cable, and I'm trying to play Halo 3, which I know supports Dolby Digital as an output. I've set the 360's digital output setting to "Dolby Digital" also.

Sometimes the pro logic light will come on, but as far as I can tell, the digital light NEVER comes on. I even tried it with a movie, and set that to digital in its settings - but still the light isn't coming on.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Check the output on your 360 is actually set to Dolby Digital 5.1 - I know you've said it is but it's worth checking.

A few games (GTA4 and Rez HD spring to mind) have in-game options that override this; check you're not playing one of those without changing the settings.

Also, check the optical lead to make sure you haven't left the plastic cap on by mistake - you'd be surprised how many people make this mistake - although in this case I'd expect you to get no sound at all.

My 5.1 light comes on as soon as the 360 boots to the dashboard, and stays on unless I specifically load something that only uses stereo.

Check the output on your 360 is actually set to Dolby Digital 5.1 - I know you've said it is but it's worth checking.

A few games (GTA4 and Rez HD spring to mind) have in-game options that override this; check you're not playing one of those without changing the settings.

Also, check the optical lead to make sure you haven't left the plastic cap on by mistake - you'd be surprised how many people make this mistake - although in this case I'd expect you to get no sound at all.

My 5.1 light comes on as soon as the 360 boots to the dashboard, and stays on unless I specifically load something that only uses stereo.

You're going to love it when I tell you what the problem was.

The 5.1 LED light is fucked.

I can tell because when you reset the box, three lights are supposed to flash; the DD one being one of them - and it doesn't. It stays unlit.

So, there's a chance that 5.1 is on sometimes - but I can't tell when it is without actually listening, and with the delay turned up, it should be obvious. It's strange because the light worked last night. Doesn't inspire me with confidence in the build quality if an LED blows within 24 hours of turning it on.

Bad luck rather than poor build quality, I'd suggest, but that is hilarious in its own way.

So how does it sound?

Not totally sure yet :) I've been that busy trying to get the bastard light to come on. Certainly the sound quality is generally good in terms of clarity, but I don't know about the actual surround component yet.

I think I've posted in this thread already but I've used the AX360's for a few months now and I've found them to be really good considering that they are headphones. I obviously can't compare them to a dedicated 5.1 set up (which I'm sure would blow them away) but on games like COD4 they can definitely give you an edge and offline games (using Fear 2 as an example) are improved immeasurably as an experience i.e. it scares me shitless with them on.

Cool, thanks guys. So I'll be considering the AX360's, Turtle Beach X4's or the Astro Gaming system. The latter looks great, though I can't get the site to work on my mac, only on my iPhone?!!!