rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Goose

Dredd 3D

@fragglerock

I've just bought this. What i've read of the IDW stuff previously has been poor, but there's enough other stuff in there to be worth buying the $15 bundle. Origins, Case files 05 (with the apocalypse war), Cry of the Werewolf and America for starters are all top of the line Dredd stories.

If you've not read Dredd before, don't start with Origins. That's best read after reading as much other Dredd stories as you can get your hands on.

I was really confused looking over the Humble Bundle, as I’d never heard of most of the writers or artists, and hadn’t realised that there was an American Dredd imprint with its own continuity. It doesn’t sound particularly great to be honest, but there are some decent strips in there. 

I just re-watched this. 

Such a great film, really sad it never came to anything :(

I see there is a 4k UHD version now... maybe I should splurge a lot of cash on a 4k system so I can watch it again again!

12 hours ago, fragglerock said:

I just re-watched this. 

Such a great film, really sad it never came to anything :(

I see there is a 4k UHD version now... maybe I should splurge a lot of cash on a 4k system so I can watch it again again!

We don't know that. There's a Dredd TV show that was announced May last year, Urban has since been in talks to star. 

Worryingly though, it's gone a bit quiet recently.

34 minutes ago, Ste_S said:

We don't know that. There's a Dredd TV show that was announced May last year, Urban has since been in talks to star. 

Worryingly though, it's gone a bit quiet recently.

Yeah I'm worried about the silence there's been on this. Everytime I see this thread come back up again I get a little excited.

2 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Yeah I'm worried about the silence there's been on this. Everytime I see this thread come back up again I get a little excited.

Optimist in me says they announced a little too earlier in the development cycle. 

Pessimist in me says the production company is having difficulty selling it to a network/streaming service

1 hour ago, Ste_S said:

Optimist in me says they announced a little too earlier in the development cycle. 

Pessimist in me says the production company is having difficulty selling it to a network/streaming service

Can't see why Netflix wouldn't pick it up if that was the case? Netflix's Marvel series have been big hits but once Disney pulls the plug on that and they lose Marvel, this could perfectly fill a big shaped violent comic book hole 

• Upvote 1

Yeah - the Punisher proved that you can do ultra-violence

the torture scene in that is really quite brutal and the final fight is pretty unpleasant too

Also, Guardians of The Galaxy proved that you could do something that, on paper, seems really very weird but people will watch it. The Dredd universe is really weird and I'd like this TV series to happen but I'd also like it to be close to the weirdness of the comic. I'm not sure if that would go down well with mainstream, network audiences but I think it could work well on a streaming service - American Gods was/is pretty strange and that's done quite well for Amazon. 

Although I'm bumping this thread, I wish people wouldn't. It's pretty much Half Life 3 all over again. Every time I see it pop up, I get my hopes up :(

23 minutes ago, Mr Cochese said:

Judge Dredd?

When the mask comes off he likes nothing better than to put the slippers on, make a nice cup of tea and play Secret of Monkey Island.

In every interview I've read with Garland, he always comes across as an extremely sound guy. And he seems really engaged with the 2000AD forum - it's not some Reddit AMA where he's giving one word answers, he was really going out of his way to answer their questions.

Plus, he hates boss fights in games, which is the correct opinion to have.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, K said:

Plus, he hates boss fights in games, which is the correct opinion to have.

Halo 2 must have really hurt for him then, in more ways than one I suspect :P

8 minutes ago, Popo said:

Wow, did not know Duncan Jones is directing a Rogue Trooper movie. Here’s hoping it’s a goodun - I couldn’t finish the boring Warcraft. 

I was honestly surprised at how much I enjoyed Warcraft really. It was no classic or anything like that, but considering how it would appear Jones was pretty fucking hamstrung whilst making it, I think he didn't do a bad job really. 

That said, a full on Rogue Trooper done 'proper' would be all sorts of magnificent. Rogue was never my fave 2000ad strip, but it's still up there.

Now just want someone to make a Bad Company film...the original series is absolutely my top 2000ad tale, and one of the greatest comics ever as far as I'm concerned!

• Upvote 1