IGNORED

Dredd 3D

Goose

So was thinking of going to see this...when I learned that there are barely any 2D showings in the UK. My closest is 2 hours away by car. I refuse to see a 3D version because wearing the 3D Glasses over my own gives me a fucking headache, and like hell am I driving 2 hours to see it. Annoyed by this cos I was actually looking forward to seeing it.

I'm no fan of 3D and usually get a migraine but Dredd was absolutely worth going to see as intended in 3D. Just go.

The only thing that I would change about this film is that I'd insert a ten second Andi Peters cameo at the end. Like Dredd's fucking off and Andi Peters pulls up on a lawmaster in full judge attire with a badge that says 'PETERS' and Dredd goes 'Peters.' And Judge Peters just nods. That's it.

:lol:

I absolutely loved this, and I'm a old-school (with the emphasis on old) 2000AD devotee. This was a proper, unapologetic genre movie. I loved how it basically bangs straight into the action after a really short intro and the logo splash - no messing about.

The tone is nailed perfectly, I thought. It's funny, refreshingly violent and brutal without being completely gratuitous. My only minor gripe is that Mega City One looks like a huge sprawling version of Capetown, rather than something hugely futuristic and alien like in 2000AD - but it's totally understandable considering the budget, and with that borne in mind it works really well.

Seriously, it was a blast from beginning to end.

On a side note - it cost £25 for me and my girlfriend to see this. Crazy. I don't go to the flicks that often any more, and I'm still shocked at how expensive tickets are.

I didn't, really. I mean, there was noting stupid in it, but it added nothing to any of the scenes. With the possible exception of the long shots looking down the height of the tower.

It wasn't even well used in the slow-mo shots of water particles and stuff.

I have to say here that those saying the 3D wasn't impressive must've seen this on a fairly shitty cinema setup. I've seen this twice now, first time on the biggest screen in the cinema with the best projector setup, big, bright and it looked fucking AMAZING. The bathwater leapt off the screen, sparkled, it was utterly stunning.

The other day I watched it again in 3D but on a smaller screen with a different projector setup which was noticeably darker and it just didn't look anywhere near as good, nothing really popped off the screen and the vivid slo-mo scenes were duller... This is the problem with cinema in general, there's no standard equipment so what you see and hear is a complete crap shoot and it's for that reason my housemate and I have installed a massive high quality screen and a sound system that puts most cinemas to shame. Terrible shit.

That's what I'm saying though, if your cinema was showing it on a shitty setup that's the reason it wasn't popping off the screen like it did when I viewed it the first time... On my second time it was very much a poorer viewing experience and that was down to equipment, not the way it was shot.

Finally got to see this last night, loved it. Whoever's been comparing the visual style to John Carpenter's work like Assault on Precinct 13 nailed it. It was lived in to the point of utter decay, a real total hellhole - exactly the sort of place you'd want a guy like Dredd to help clean up.

Loved the scene when the two kids tried their luck with him.

"Freeze!"

"Why?"

Also, at 96 minutes it was paced just perfectly. It didn't feel like a shorter film, or that anything was missed out. Perhaps the only part in the film where you might think they glossed over some potential action was made even stronger by showing only what they did show.

That'll be when he kills Cesar after an entire floor gets wiped out - showing it pretty much from Ma-Ma's perspective let you see that was the moment when she realises this isn't some ordinary Judge.

Oh, and it was three quid. I wonder if that makes me in some way culpable if this fails to hit the $50m sequel target. Maybe I'll just have to see it again.

Watched it tonight. It's saying something that getting lost in a strange city for an hour on the way and paying £30 to see it (ticket, popcorn, drink, car parking) didn't detract from my enjoyment at all. I thought it was fantastic.

Was also my first 3D cinema experience. Thought it was great.

I've been in the US since the 9th of September and I've not seen anything in the media to make me aware this is even on.

I think I recall it being out in the UK first and with that and Phelan mentioning it's not out where he is, ( yeah, yeah, I know Oz), I genuinely thought it wasn't out here either.

Then a couple of days ago I saw it was on, in person, at a major cinema here. It's showing in 2D and 3D. Must get around to seeing it, especially as I was a long time early reader of 2000AD. From prog 2...

Glorious. Violent, sharp and witty, felt just the right length, 3D, of which i'm not really a fan, was well used. Loved it. Reminded me of an 80s ultra violent gritty gore fest. Like when they were pushing things just to see what they could get away with.

Ironically, with the remake coming up, reminded me a little of the original Robocop. And of Rockstar's Manhunt with all the grainy surveilance cameras.

What's the odds of a sequel? This has done shit at the US box office right?

I'm loving this quote from a reviewer listed on Rotten Tomatoes as having given Dredd a negative review:

"Every so often there's a suggestion that a police state may actually be a lousy idea, but this thought dies even faster than the disposable characters."

As Pauli said, "It's not even wrong".

Saw this earlier this week... I've read the entire thread so I don't feel like I have anything to add, only that I loved it very much and have a strong desire to see it again immediately (something which rarely happens, even with Avengers which I loved to bits).

Will the DVD and Blu Ray sales factor into wether a sequel is going to happen?

It pains me when crap like Transformers makes so much money and has talk of more sequels when really great acton films like this don't. I guess the 18 certificate didn't help but it wouldn't have been the same film without. Surely these days 15 year olds are so desensitised that they could have just made this a 15 certificate anyway (wishful thinking)

I don't see any reason why they won't get to the 50 million mark once you factor in worldwide reciepts? These sort of films do incredibly well over here (Europe) and in Asia. Fuck the Americans, the useless twats. Someone care to tell me why I'm wrong?

Presumably they already factored in the worldwide grosses though, it's always been about getting a minimum of $50m from the US box office.

Hey guys, I know - let's Kickstarter for a sequel! :)

:(