rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Goose

Dredd 3D

I think they should stay away from Judge Death, and save it for another film, assuming this new one is actually any good of course, and they even make another one. I think the new film has to have Robocop levels of violence to be any good, and be just as satirical.

Rebellion have been trying to get funding for this ever since they bought 2000AD yonks ago. There's no way there'll be anything stupid in this one like Dredd taking off his helmet, but I doubt the budget will be very big.

What I'd really like (but I know we're not going to get) is a proper old-fashioned Dredd, drawing on the huge amount of material in, say, the first 400 progs. I want to see Uglies, Blobs, the League of Fatties, the Palais de Boing, the Smokatorium, Resyk, mo-pads, knee-pads, massive boots, Uncle Ump, Max Normal, Call-Me-Kenneth and Walter the Robot.

Of course I'd settle for a half-decent film that doesn't mess about with the key elements of the story, but even that's probably hoping for too much...

If Max Normal was in it for all of five minutes I'd go see the film.

As for the story line though, it's hard to say what would work. I really wouldn't want to see the Dark Judges, though I would love to see the 'Stare into the face of fear!' 'Stare into the fist of Dredd' bit filmed. Apart from them the classic Dredd stories wouldn't work so well as a film, Block Wars, leading to the Apocolypse War would have to skimp too much, The Judge Child/Cursed Earth relies on the Angel gang again, Caligula (I can't remember the series name) maybe, The Chopper series really focuses on Chopper himself rather than Dredd so, er, I dunno

To be honest you could simply make it about a big drug operation and Dredd taking every bastard down for 90 minutes. That's all it needs.

Plus Verhoeven directing.

Make it 80s style with OTT violence.

And through Judge Anderson with Scarlett Johansson playing her.

Actually her husband Ryan Reynolds could have the Dredd jaw:

tn2_ryan_reynolds_3.jpg

It has to be Perlman. And as for the story, I know it probably won't happen because of the sheer cost to bring it to the screen but I'd love to see a fantastic Apocalypse War.

Oh and one small thing: KEEP THE FUCKING HELMET ON.

God knows why so many people want Jason Statham. Dredd is American, and I don’t think I’ve ever heard a weaker American accent than Statham’s.

Lawman of the Future was aimed at a younger market. I used to read it when I was a nipper, alongside 2000 AD though. It wasn't as violent, I used to prefer the 2000 AD Dredd stories.

I remember the animated TV adverts for that comic!

It would be amazing. You know it.

No it wouldn't. It would be terrible. They'd spend ages trying to explain them in a way that makes them plausible to the audience and it would be a massive clusterfuck. You can't do the Dark Judges and explain Dredd's world in the same film without it being a Spider-man 3 Venom-esque mess.

I think they need to stick to a fairly straightforward story. Maybe something like the Robot's Revolt story from the early progs. Plenty of scope for Mega City action without requiring the audience to be genned up any back-story. Plus it introduces Walter and Maria.

Were Walter and Maria eventually dropped? I read an occasional bit a friend had about 15 years ago and I didn't recall them at all when I saw them the first four Case Files I read recently.

Transporter 1 and 2 were amazingly over the top fun films, as was is other movie Crank. However, there's no way he should be Dredd especially if they put him in an American accent. Did anyone ever see The One?