Crackdown 2?

moosegrinder

I thought they were doing something similar, but much darker, as a semi-sequel anyway? Did I dream that?

Edit: google thinks so! Hmm. What am I thinking of? Very similar look, trailer with darkened skies and some evil bloke, he jumps and smashes his fist into the street and cracks it iirc?

Sounds like either Prototype or InFamous both Crackdown ripoffs with all the colour and fun sucked out. :angry:

Sounds like either Prototype or InFamous both Crackdown ripoffs with all the colour and fun sucked out. :angry:

They're not really comparable though. I love Crackdown, but it's a playground. It never really gives the sense of a living, breathing city, there's no narrative hook or characterisation, no interesting enemies and all you do is jump around and shoot stuff. Tremendous fun, sure, but both Protoptype and Infamous do different things. I'd say that if Crackdown and GTA'd make love, this would be the offspring. Both have some talent behind them as well (Prototype is developed by the team behind Hulk: Ultimate Destruction and Infamous is developed by Sucker Punch).

Sounds great, though i'd like to see some sort of proper campaign this time, with a bit of variation in the tasks, along with, of course, a completely new city to explore. Trains, helicopters etc would maybe be a welcome addition? Although helicopters would probably suck the fun out of trying to climb as high as possible, so maybe not.

I'd like to see some better Car chases and the cars having more weight. TBH i wasn't really that bored with the shooting sections because i found them interspersed with the need to powerup, so therefore you were doing lots of exploration. Not only that, but earning the driving power ups meant you had to "kill" drive to power up, which again still meant you had to kill, but not by shooting.

TBH what i really want to see is Carmageddon 2 done in crackdown with races, cars with stupidly fun weapons, shooting, and trains oh and an underwater city section. Like that world bit from SW: Episode 1.

None of this careful driving shite, or Stealth.

I'd like to see some better Car chases and the cars having more weight.

Did you ever drive the standard police car? It handled briliantly, far more fun than the agency vehicles. I wish you got your powers more slowly, it would have been great to have started as a cadet, before getting more and more ridiculous powers as it went on. For the first few hours at least.

To be honest the most important thing I'd like to see in Crackdown 2 would be for them to further improve the excellent achievement system seen in the first game... Personally I felt thats what left GTA IV feeling massively lacking, the best thing about Crackdown was mucking about on co-op trying to think of creative ways of reaching all the achievement benchmarks set by the game. Honestly, if GTA had had 10-15 achievements that asked players to do silly things involving ramps/helicopters/explosions in free play mode, I'd have probably had a lot more love for it.

<Off-topic>I won an Xbox 360 through a radio compo recently</Off-topic> and yesterday I bought Crackdown second-hand from Game for the massive sum of 5.99 for when it turns up. I don't plan on buying many games for the 360, as i have loads of stuff for the last gen to play, but Crackdown was the game that I always wanted to play.

Do people still play it co-op? I mean, like, if this stupid 360 turns up before Xmas, and I load up the game, will I be able to find someone to co-op with?

<Off-topic>I won an Xbox 360 through a radio compo recently</Off-topic> and yesterday I bought Crackdown second-hand from Game for the massive sum of 5.99 for when it turns up. I don't plan on buying many games for the 360, as i have loads of stuff for the last gen to play, but Crackdown was the game that I always wanted to play.

Do people still play it co-op? I mean, like, if this stupid 360 turns up before Xmas, and I load up the game, will I be able to find someone to co-op with?

No idea, but if they still do then you'll keep receiving co-op requests as you go about the single player, or you can do the same to others, so if anyone is playing at all you ought to be alright.

Oooh, tell you what'd be an awesome improvement - being able to call in your agency super car at any point Batman/Epona style... Imagine if you could be on the top of a skyscraper and call in a plane to parachute down a car onto the roof for a dramatic/suidical escape! :angry:

I want more Agility Orbs. In higher up places. On buildings I literally have to scope out for a few minutes before finding a route up them. I couldn't care less about the missions or driving (both largely wank), I just want to jump around like a loon.

Oooh, tell you what'd be an awesome improvement - being able to call in your agency super car at any point Batman/Epona style... Imagine if you could be on the top of a skyscraper and call in a plane to parachute down a car onto the roof for a dramatic/suidical escape! :angry:

As long as you do it by playing a magical instrument I'm happy.

Oooh, tell you what'd be an awesome improvement - being able to call in your agency super car at any point Batman/Epona style... Imagine if you could be on the top of a skyscraper and call in a plane to parachute down a car onto the roof for a dramatic/suidical escape

Yeah but that wouldn't work on pitched roof buildings or buildings with lighting conductors. The car would just fall off. Or get stabbed.

I don't plan on buying many games for the 360, as i have loads of stuff for the last gen to play

:angry:

You're 3 years behind, mate. Either you must be the world's slowest gamer or you buy everything that's being released. Why not burn some bridges and join the rest of us?

Anyhow, Crackdown is an excellent title to get started with the 360.

Yeah but that wouldn't work on pitched roof buildings or buildings with lighting conductors. The car would just fall off. Or get stabbed.

Which would also be hilarious. Win/win.

I might have to pop this in to do the SUV building ascent trick in a mo :angry:

I want more Agility Orbs. In higher up places. On buildings I literally have to scope out for a few minutes before finding a route up them. I couldn't care less about the missions or driving (both largely wank), I just want to jump around like a loon.

I didn't buy the full game but I played the demo and found the missions crap. If it was all agility orbs and jumping I would buy it but I couldn't be arsed with people shooting at me everywhere I went.

I didn't buy the full game but I played the demo and found the missions crap. If it was all agility orbs and jumping I would buy it but I couldn't be arsed with people shooting at me everywhere I went.

The missions remain largely the same objective wise but become a LOT more fun once you gain some powers. You can storm in throwing a fucking truck on top of the first wave of guards before laughing heartily as backup comes up and jumping away onto a rooftop and higher and higher as they keep shooting at you.

You can kick fling and shoot anyone who gets in your way then and make your way to the boss and toss him or her aside. Some of the later ones mix it up a bit by having you to dig deep into certain bits to fit the boss or do something, but I found it great and the game always handed my ass to me if I got more cocky than I should have. Which is A LOT.

I fucking love Crackdown, love it love it love it

I didn't like the demo either, but eventually bought the full game and it was much better.

As for the cars, I almost never used any so I didn't really care how they handled.

A few hours in you become pretty much fast enough to run and jump everywhere. Car was only used for running over loads of enemies in one place.

Driving in on a big vehicle, running over about 40 of them then getting it out and chucking it at the remaining few wankers left before walking up to the last two or three taking the bullets like a terminator and just throwing them into the distance. Ah...

The one game I can stick on for hours with custom soundtrack and just mess about...its amazing. Kudos to the game for never making you sit longer than about 3 seconds before letting you shoot stuff and jump around, theres little mission briefings once in a blue moon but are immediately skippable, whoever made this game made it for fun - i really hope they don't listen to the people who whined about the lack of plot in the first one - thats what made it so ruddy good, you got to play without any limitations, thats true sandbox gaming that is.