IGNORED

Outrun Online Arcade

Harmunt

After all these years, I *still* flip out on the first two-way drift on Milky Way. :unsure: Anyone got tips on how to approach it? Is it because I'm turning out of the first drift too late? I pretty much was on a perfect run through the game until I hit the bloody Milky Way. Funnily enough, I find Skyscrapers much easier than Milky Way.

I also didn't notice any Rocket take-off. :lol: Surely the 360 has the power to handle that animation? I think it was even in the Outrun2SP PS2 version released in Japan.

Rocket take-off is definitely in there, and yes, Milky Way does seem trickier than Goal E. I reckon you've just got to brake on those corners, and keep braking to allow you a bit more space going through them - you might slow down a lot, but that's how I handle it for now.

Rocket take-off is definitely in there, and yes, Milky Way does seem trickier than Goal E. I reckon you've just got to brake on those corners, and keep braking to allow you a bit more space going through them - you might slow down a lot, but that's how I handle it for now.

Hehe, I never use the brake button at all. I guess that corner is impossible to take without braking then?

I tend to use a bit of brake on Milky Way and Skyscrapers. I'm a bit rubbish at them.

Goal D does give you the most room for errors on the 4'30", but also the most potential for them. I crashed hard twice when doing a time attack on the above suggested route, and still got 4'32", then I just went to floral village the next time to avoid the frustration.

Hehe, I never use the brake button at all. I guess that corner is impossible to take without braking then?

Yeah, think so. It's worth noting that drifting isn't always the best approach to a corner; sometimes it's much better to break and grip through it. Also, Paulando's description of manual gears is pretty spot on, and everyone should give it a crack. It's really no more difficult than automatic, since you only have to switch up gears at the beginning of the race, and quickly drop down and up again to do far more awesome drifts.

EDIT: Also, a piece of advice for anyone chasing the cardiogram achievement:

take bay bridge, big forest, ice stage and milkway (that's left, then right for the rest of the way). It's an easy route, but just remember to slow down a little for the ghosts and a lot for the stars (you need to collect pretty much all of them for a triple A grade).

Just like the PC version of C2C, this is all kinds of lovely. Ive not tried online, but thats not where the draw if for me, Out Run has always been one of those games you quickly put on to give instant gaming satisfaction. Not sure Id want to dilute it by playing it online and all the hassles that come with it.

Yes indeedy.

For some reason though, on VGA on a 4:3 screen, the cars look VERY wide. Almost like the conversion to 16:9 has been done twice. Not sure if it's just my eyesight, will try on the proper TV.

Also: I now feel bad for calling people fucking idiots and then they go and turn out to be reading/commenting in this thread. How very uncouth of me. But please filter the Friends Leaderboard... if Jeff Minter's mate can do it... it's the best thing about most games on XBLA.

Well, no, according to what he himself posted in this very thread, Sumo apparently needs permission from Sega to even make a patch. God knows why, if it's broken then patch is what I would say, but I'm not a developer so.....

It costs money to put a patch through certification.

I don't know shit about these things but maybe its a memory leak and all the graphics have leaked off.

Sorry Afterbirth, but you gave me a bit of a chuckle with that one :rolleyes:

LOL, I was probably too preoccupied to getting to the end of the stage to notice.

Has anyone noticed the game freezing for a split second in Milky Way? It's happened to me a couple of times.

Yeah me too.

This game looks incredible on a big screen. Better than the arcade ever did. Just need a big plastic faux Ferrari in the middle of the lounge now.

The 4:3 VGA output is definitely knackered though. Everything is pancaked. Must be a sign from the gods that I need to upgrade to a widescreen monitor.

God, those voices are annoying as fuck, I'll give you that.

They are, are they 8bit 10khz samples or something? Or did they get Leona Lewis to talk into a baked bean tin?

After a bit of trading, I was able to buy some points....I forgot how much I love this game. 6275th in the world after 2 goes (both with the boy taking up half the screen). I love score attack games. We need more of them.

Which is why I REALLY can't understand two things;

1. how the Friends leaderboard bug/lack of decent design wasn't noticed.

2. why anyone would say, "I'm not bothered about the leaderboards as I don't play online". Talk about missing the point.

The colour is on a par with Mirror's Edge. Its amazing so few games make full use of it. In fact, all i can think of is "why the hell hasn't anyone done a proper arcade Jetski game".

You look at the water in the levels and i think - i'd bloody love to ride across that. Something akin to Waverace would look amazing if it was done right. You know...summers here.

We need games like that to fit the mood.

The vast majority of PCBs ever made don't save the hiscores. It's the main reason I would never get into PCB collecting. In this respect, MAME is a godsend.

Anyway, I've just checked, and it does indeed save the local scores, although annoyingly, there doesn't seem to be a way to view local scores until you've finished a game. How very retarded. Also, why can't the triggers be used to flip between pages when viewing the leaderboards like 99.99% of XBLA games? Seriously, I'd be quite happy to pay another 800 points to get all this shit fixed.

I have this on PS3, looks pin-sharp in 1080p with colours that are so bold and vibrant, definitely the best this game has ever looked (including in the Arcade). It literally took seconds to get back into the swing of drifting sideways past shit-loads of traffic at insane speeds with Magical Sound Shower blasting out of the speakers, also tried manual gears for the first time in an Outrun game and I'd echo the sentiments of others here, it makes everything so much easier and faster. Don't think I'm ever going to get the 14.30/15 course Trophy however but when trying is this much fun who cares? I've not been online yet so my only criticisms are the lack of DD sound, the slightly low res HUD and the baffling omission of Custom Soundtrack support. All small complaints however and nothing that really bothers me, for £7.99 this is a bargain and just makes me smile like a mental!

The 14'30" for 15 stage continuous is pretty easy. It gives you loads of leeway compared to 4'30" for 5 stages.

I think the local scoreboards are pointless. How many people actually have a number friends competing for scores on the same console? I'd rather not have to type my name in every time at the end, either.

I've not been online yet so my only criticisms are the lack of DD sound, the slightly low res HUD and the baffling omission of Custom Soundtrack support. All small complaints however and nothing that really bothers me, for £7.99 this is a bargain and just makes me smile like a mental!

That's my only real gripe with it too. From what I've read, it only takes something like an extra 3-5mb of memory to implement, and given that Motorstorm 2 supports it, I have a hard time believing there was any justifiable technical reason for its omission. Probably a time constraint, but having it patched in would be most welcome.

Don't think I'm ever going to get the 14.30/15 course Trophy however but when trying is this much fun who cares? I've not been online yet so my only criticisms are the lack of DD sound, the slightly low res HUD and the baffling omission of Custom Soundtrack support. All small complaints however and nothing that really bothers me, for £7.99 this is a bargain and just makes me smile like a mental!

I guess these are reasons to get the 360 version over the PS3 version then, as the 360 version has both of these.