Wheelman

son_of_helvetica

good stuff, Noonan was saying the then "unannounced project" was looking pretty impressive. I hope it gives the studio a chance of survival.

Cheers! It's not just us though, our friends in San Diego also need a buyer too. They've had a proven track record of causal gaming stuff, so hopefully someone can see that and pick them up. I think the Guardian article and the Necessary Force announcement has done a lot of good publicity-wise.

Cheers! It's not just us though, our friends in San Diego also need a buyer too. They've had a proven track record of causal gaming stuff, so hopefully someone can see that and pick them up. I think the Guardian article and the Necessary Force announcement has done a lot of good publicity-wise.

San Diego is the TNA team as well isn't it? I'm surprised they're not bigging up what they're doing as well, unless there are some bids in on them already or something?

It's been a funny sort of week so far, nice to have things out in the open at last and be able to say more than 'well we're working... on something...' I think if done right this could be a game that a lot of people have wanted to see for a while, I remember there were some comments in a thread about what GTA should do next where people were saying you should be a cop, sitting there stopping myself from writing 'well actually...'

Anyone identify the music in the trailer btw? :wub:

Well, I identified it as being a bit strongly reminiscent of Portishead (Over) but I'm not sure what it actually is.

Yeah it's kinda like you get in adverts sometimes where they re-record things just enough to avoid copyright, couldn't really use anything publically at this point. I have to say if nothing else that some of the other stuff we want to use has introduced me to dubstep, which I'm quite pleased about - never checked it out as my brain immediately connected it to 2 Step/UK Garage and I never even gave it a chance :wub:

I'd really like to work in sorting out music for trailers and ads and such. And I guess full soundtracks. No idea if there's any money in it or what qualifications and musical talent might be required but I'm always interested in it.

Really hope something comes up for you guys. I get the impression though that if the worst did happen one or two smaller studios would spring up in it's place. Either way it'd be a shame to see any of these guys lose their jobs. Surprised UBI Soft hasn't jumped on board.

Speaking of wankers ...

Remember this lot.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/holl...-language-tigon

"The thing I've realised the most over the last couple of years, now being a lot closer to people in Hollywood and seeing some of their process, is just how little I - or anybody else around games - know about storytelling," he added. "I give a lot of people respect for their effort, and a lot of the time they can do some really good things, but there's such a depth and vocabulary involved in film-making that we're just completely ignorant of."

This being the head of Tigons Games speaking. Didn't these people create the dialogue, the cutscenes and some of the mission narrative for Wheelman, you know the stuff that would often not make any sense.

During the development of the game, were they instead claiming their own people were an authority on storytelling?

This being the head of Tigons Games speaking. Didn't these people create the dialogue, the cutscenes and some of the mission narrative for Wheelman, you know the stuff that would often not make any sense.

I still couldn't tell you the plot of Wheelman, let alone understand it.

Joystiq have redeemed themselves with a positive news story for Necessary Force though, bless them.

Speaking of wankers ...

"The thing I've realised the most over the last couple of years, now being a lot closer to people in Hollywood and seeing some of their process, is just how little I - or anybody else around games - know about storytelling," he added. "I give a lot of people respect for their effort, and a lot of the time they can do some really good things, but there's such a depth and vocabulary involved in film-making that we're just completely ignorant of."

To be honest - and I say this in a very general sense and in no way to do with Wheelman or Tigon or anything to do with what I've worked on - I think I basically agree. I do think the majority of the games industry is way behind others in terms of the mastery of universal (as opposed to medium-specific) principles of great, genuinely emotive storytelling. Not that it's our fault - we're the youngest and our medium is the wierdest and we have other fish to fry (i.e. gameplay - our medium isn't just about story), blah blah blah...

But yeah - I don't really disagree with that statement (at least in the context I describe).

Just listened to Michael's rousing speech on Necessary Force on this week's Joypod and thought I'd post here to let you guys know it looks really good. :lol:

I've been meaning to pick up Wheelman for ages, this only makes me pull my finger out and get myself down the shops. Loved the demo!

Hope everything works out. :)

Picked this up the other day on the cheap.

Looking forward to giving it a blast.

I'm hoping for a more drivey GTA - is that what I'll be getting?

Expect 100mph vehicular combat, punching with cars, super infinite explosions and high-intensity baldness

Just listened to Michael's rousing speech on Necessary Force on this week's Joypod and thought I'd post here to let you guys know it looks really good. :)

I've been meaning to pick up Wheelman for ages, this only makes me pull my finger out and get myself down the shops. Loved the demo!

Hope everything works out. :(

Cheers, I'm just checking out the Joypod podcast now - I've been working late nights to help save the studio :D

There's developments though, and stuff going on which could buy us more time. More time = good. Fingers crossed. I really want them to get some screenshots or video out there...

Bought this in the week and finished it today - more detailed impressions are here but I thought I would let you guys know that I really enjoyed it. :(

Aside from some small technical faults that I can look past, the game is lots of big, dumb fun which is exactly what I wanted.

It reminded me of the early Driver games, especially the bits where you just had to survive as the AI was just insanely ruthless.

Very sorry to hear that things are looking bleak for you. :lol:

Speaking of wankers ...

Remember this lot.

THE WRITERS ARE WAITING TO BE EMPLOYED

Seriously though. Myself, most of the writers I know, we'd love to write on a game. Trouble is, every coder thinks he's David Mamet these days.

I've never heard of a coder writing the story before o_O Jesus I'd like to see that. 00010101010101101001011.

It's always ridiculously ego-tastic designers, like me, or the company's CEO going off on one from my experience :angry: "It's gotta have balls...! Big fucking .. balls!"

Game design situation #24: Money talks

Producer : "Hey the guys who have all the money, backing and rights to this project want this shit idea putting in"

Designer : "Wow. That is shit. I had a million better ideas but now I have to waste my time implementing this shit in the least shitty way possible. If only I listened to my parents and got a real job. It's £9 an hour for stacking shelves. Hmmm...."