RLLMUK's essential games: XBOX

BeeJay

We've discussed this many times before but I think it's about time we did this properly.

The plan is to do an essential games thread for every major (and maybe in time, not so major platform). The point is that we should be creating a 'start here' thread for retro games systems.

My rules are this:

To be a Tier 1 title it must be exclusive to that platform and still be of enduring quality.

Tier 2 titles might be ones that had significantly inferior ports elsewhere but are of enduring quality

Tier 3 titles are ones that are exclusive but of not such an enduring quality.

What I mean by enduring quality is really about 'are they still significant today?', 'If you could buy any iteration of this game series would it be this one?'

Some examples of enduring quality that I might site are Mario 64 (still nothing directly like it today), Mario galaxy in no way replaced Mario 64, they are different games. Speedball 2 would be another. No game since, speedball sequals or others, have got anywhere near it and if you want to play a game of that type Speedball 2 would still be the game to choose.

Starter for 10:

XBOX

Tier 1:

Panzer dragoon orta

Otogi

Oddworld strangers wrath

Steel battalion

Rallisport challenge II

Links 2004

Tier 2:

Halo

Halo 2

Ninja gaiden black

Crimson skies

Street fighter anniversary collection (mainly for online SF3)

Burnout 2

Tony Hawk's pro skater 2x

Jet set radio future

Tier 3:

Forza

Amped 2

Midtown madness 3

House of the dead III

PGR 1+2

Blinx 1+2

Stubbs the zombie

Grabbed by the ghoolies

Crazy taxi 3

Gun Valkyrie

Kingdoms under fire

Sudeki

Toe jam and earl III

Phantom Dust (US/JP)

Metal Wolf Chaos (JP)

kung fu chaos

Quantum Redshift

Brute Force

Dead or alive 3

Dai Senryaki VII

Quality Multiplatform:

Black

KOTOR 1 + 2

So please suggest away and let's see where we come to. I'm happy to add/remove/move games as long there is some logical justification.

Street Fighter Anniversary Collection is an essential purchase for any SF fan, and I'd argue that the inclusion of online play (not to mention enduring support thanks to 360's backwards-compatibility) gives the Xbox version the edge over the PS2 equivalent.

Speedball 2 would be another. No game since, speedball sequals or others, have got anywhere near it and if you want to play a game of that type Speedball 2 would still be the game to choose.

Heh, have you tried Deathrow on the xbox then? I've seen it mentioned over at NeoGaf as the only modern game than comes close to Speedball 2. I own it but haven't played it for more than two minutes so I can't really say how good it is...

Others -

Spikeout

Outrun 2

Phantom Dust (US/JP)

Metal Wolf Chaos (JP)

Plus there's KOTOR, Riddick and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory which also have PC versions as well.

Street Fighter Anniversary Collection is an essential purchase for any SF fan, and I'd argue that the inclusion of online play (not to mention enduring support thanks to 360's backwards-compatibility) gives the Xbox version the edge over the PS2 equivalent.

The inclusion of 3rd Strike also is another reason :lol:

Crimson Skies is probably a tier 1 for me. Otogi is probably the worst game I've ever played.
I disagree completely with tier one. Has no one else noticed steel battalion is shit, for a start?

Where's KOTOR?

I don't think you two understand what I'm getting at. I'm not a huge fan of Otogi and have never played Steel Battalion. The point is that both of those games are unique experiences, exclusive to the format and some people love. It's a bit like the IGN thread about the FM 2009 review.

I haven't included KOTOR as the PC version is pretty much identical as far as I know. It's not worth buying an xbox for. Crimson skies is definitely a Tier 2 contender. It is not completely exclusive as it was an update of a PC game but is still the best example in it's genre.

I'll go over the other suggestions in a second.

I played through Second Sight, Full Spectrum Warrior and Secret Weapons Over Normandy recently. All great games, but not exclusives - presumably the PC versions are better in each case.

All decent games as you say but all had similar/superior ports on other platforms.

Jet Set Radio Future for tier 3? Most seem to prefer the original. I'd tier one it myself.

That's an interesting one. It's undoubtedly a top game but I think most people who are into their JSR would say to play the original so I'll leave it off the list.

Yeah I'm finding it hard to think of any other games worthy, though you could probably add Manhunt to tier 2 as it was slightly enhanced on the Xbox (it let you use the headset to make noises to attract baddies). Does that count?

As long as it's the best version with significant reasons to play it over the original. Your reasoning seems good enough.

I'll add that to teir 2. It's still the only place to play 3rd strike online right? I'd be pushed to put it into tier 1 as all the games there can be played on other platforms.

Heh, have you tried Deathrow on the xbox then? I've seen it mentioned over at NeoGaf as the only modern game than comes close to Speedball 2. I own it but haven't played it for more than two minutes so I can't really say how good it is...

Others -

Spikeout

Outrun 2

Phantom Dust (US/JP)

Metal Wolf Chaos (JP)

Plus there's KOTOR, Riddick and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory which also have PC versions as well.

Spikeout is generally regarded as a sack of shit so I'll leave that unless we want a teir 4 which has "Just exclusive" titles in.

Outrun 2 is an interesting one. I'd argue the Outrun 2006 is better and multiplatform so it's not worth rushing out and buying an xbox for. How are the PC/PSP and PS2 versions? I've not played them.

Phantom Dust and metal wolf I have no idea on quality so I'll put them in tier 3 for now. I'm assuming both were exclusive?

KOTOR has already been discussed. Riddick is better on PC and chaos theory is the same game on other platforms, correct?

Tier 3: Kung Fu Chaos

Rainbow Six 3 wasn't exclusive at all, and the PC version was far better. Crazy Taxi 3 was released on PC too, though I don't know how good it was.

I reckon that if you want to stick to your rules on "enduring quality" - ie. they should be the definitive games of the genre - you should take a much harder look at what you've got listed there. Are you seriously suggesting that Orta is the best on-rails shooter (even if you restrict them to dragon-based ones)? And that RSII is the best rally game ever? The others set themselves apart I guess - SB through gimickery, Otogi through having a distinct feel to it (even if that feel is "weird as fuck"), and I've not played Oddworld though it sounds unique enough, but the former two should be tier 3.

Edit:

Tier 3

Quantum Redshift (I think I'm the only person in the world who hammered this)

Brute Force

Tier Z

Tao Feng: Fist of the Lotus

I absolutely rinsed out Quantum Redshift! I remember grinding through dozens of characters on the hardest difficulty level in order to unlock the Mars level, which wasn’t all that to be brutally honest. It was still one of my favourite games of the last-gen.

I haven’t played QR in ages hactually, does it work through VGA?

Why even bother with the tiers?

Galleon

Burnout 2 - The cube had analogue triggers but couldn't handle 2-player smoothly. The xbox was perfectly smooth and custom soundtracks.

Dai Senryaku VII - There was also a later PS2 version, dunno if any improvements were made.

Breakdown

Kung Fu Choas

And maybe,

Links 2004

DOA 3

Mashed should be in tier two I reckon.

Was Secret Weapons Over Normandy considerably better on PC? It was fucking brilliant on Xbox.

Metal Arms Glitch In The System for Tier 2?
Why even bother with the tiers?

Galleon

Burnout 2 - The cube had analogue triggers but couldn't handle 2-player smoothly. The xbox was perfectly smooth and custom soundtracks.

Dai Senryaku VII - There was also a later PS2 version, dunno if any improvements were made.

Breakdown

Kung Fu Choas

And maybe,

Links 2004

DOA 3

Pretty much all of the above aren't exclusive (so not for Tier 1 and 3) bar Kung Fu Chaos, which I've already mentioned. By SSBJ's rules, tier 2 titles have to have ports which are "significantly inferior" - so barring Mashed's easy-access to 4 players (the alternative was the PS2) I can't see where any of the above count. Though LB's question is a good one - why the tiers?

Galleon and Breakdown are exclusive and unique (no sequels and such), aren't they?

Links 2004 and DOA 3 are exclusive but not unique with arguably superior versions in the series?

I don't see the point in the tiers, if it's exclusive you have no choice, if not why should you play it on xbox? Plus it's just going to end up in bitching about tier 1 and 3.