Bill and Ted 3

I've just watched and enjoyed this.  The film has a sense of it just being made by people enjoying themselves which is quite infectious -  the cast are having fun, and you the viewer are along for the ride.  I briefly thought it was going to be a horrible cameo-a-thon when Dave Grohl turned up.  But it wasn't that at all.  (Apart from Kid Cudi I suppose).

The actual "twist" in the plot is completely obvious from the outset - but the time hopping shenanigans are fun and the various versions of B&T do make you smile (and imagine what a laugh Keanu and Alex are having).

It's an old fashioned feel good film at heart.

Ed Solomon reveals the original ending, which ended up begin changed because it was a bit of a downer. Spoliers, obviously.

Spoiler

We had a scene at the beginning where 20 years ago they had put $100,000 down to rent the Rose Bowl for their triumphant 20th Reunion Tour, and when we meet them in the movie when it opens they have sold literally zero tickets. We had a scene where they went to negotiate with the guy to try and get their money back and the guy was like, ‘No, you’re stuck’. The whole movie was moving towards this ending, and the guys were thinking, ‘Well obviously it must be at the Rose Bowl. Obviously we’re gonna fill the Rose Bowl with this triumphant song, we just don’t know how.’ And the whole movie happens like it happens [in Face the Music], they go into the future, their lives get worse and worse, and they arrive at the Rose Bowl and it’s empty. There’s no instruments there. It didn’t happen. They failed. And they go home and they sit down in their living room, and you’re like one minute from the end of the movie. And they realize they failed, they feel like they failed, and then they hear music coming from the other room and they walk in and they look and see their kids and they realize it was never them, and the movie’s over.

And there was briefly a bit different in the ending they did use

Spoiler

When they needed instruments distributed to everyone in the world and figured there is one person who can do that. Fat guy, red suit, white beard, has a sleigh.

11 hours ago, schmojo said:

I thought this was alright. Cheap, cheerful, and making little sense, but fun enough.

Anyone else notice the future area seemed to be based off the City of Arts and Sciences in Valencia?

It was that, but green screen rather than in person

The first 20 minutes was very rough with zero laughs but it started to hit its stride. Ultimately though it wasn't a patch on the first two movies. I did like the daughters (by far the most compelling plot strand), and kind of felt the movie would have been better as a reboot with the focus on them and Bill and Ted making cameos.

On 25/09/2020 at 11:46, Protocol Penguin said:

Any news when this will be available outside the cinema? Was and is my most looked-forward-to film of this year, but I can’t risk going to an actual cinema at the moment. <_<

If you are worried, book online. You can see exactly how many other people have booked, choose as seat as far away from anyone else as you wish.  My 2 experiences of the cinema were fine. Bill and Ted had 4 other people in the whole place and Tenet had 6. People are so concerned about Covid in cinemas, that they have become a socially isolated place and you're probably safer in the cinema than a lot of places.

On 25/09/2020 at 11:46, Protocol Penguin said:

Any news when this will be available outside the cinema? Was and is my most looked-forward-to film of this year, but I can’t risk going to an actual cinema at the moment. <_<

You could use a VPN to buy it from a US VOD platform?

2 hours ago, dumpster said:

If you are worried, book online. You can see exactly how many other people have booked, choose as seat as far away from anyone else as you wish.  My 2 experiences of the cinema were fine. Bill and Ted had 4 other people in the whole place and Tenet had 6. People are so concerned about Covid in cinemas, that they have become a socially isolated place and you're probably safer in the cinema than a lot of places.

Sounds OK-ish. :) Actually, thanks a lot for that suggestion – I hadn’t thought of that, and it should cut down the possible risk factor a fair bit.

13 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

I literally have no idea what you mean there. Sorry. :( 

A VPN is something that lets you view and use websites that are locked to specific regions by making it think you're currently in that country. You can either subscribe to a service or just do their free trial.

In this case you'd want to activate your VPN and then spoof a US address. Then you'd find a Video on Demand (VOD) website/platform that was offering Bill and Ted 3 for sale, purchase it, and then download/watch it. It'd be a good option if you didn't want to risk going out. 

This page has links to US places where you can get the film:

https://decider.com/2020/08/25/bill-and-ted-face-the-music-how-to-watch-on-demand/

I’ve watched this twice over the last two days. 
First viewing with my wife, we quite liked it but felt a bit a bit confused overall (not with the plot, just our feelings towards it)

Second viewing was with my 10yo daughter who loves the first two movies. She loved this too and I have to admit I enjoyed it more second time round.

Ted’s daughter was brilliant at copying her dad from the older movies, I though the actress did an excellent job. 

The final song reminded me of the theme for Planet Coaster by Jim Guthrie.