Banjo Kazooie XBLA

Paulando

I thought putting eyes on things was just Rare goofing about rather than some massive artistic statement. I think it's pretty funny tbh.

It is funny. I think it's slightly taking the piss out of Nintendo themselves too, but in an admiring way.

Things with eyes are funny, especially carrots and rocks :D

Just more proof that Rllmuk could summon an impassioned 10 page argument over the relative merits of square vs triangular spotty paper.

I really should make that thread one day. Square spotty paper is a pile of broken shit obviously.

Are you mental?! Square spotty paper has AT LEAST 3 MORE RIGHT ANGLES than triangular spotty paper, and that's only if the triangular spotty paper had 1 right angle! Honestly alan, I thought you were cool. It seems I don't know you at all :D

No, as I said I was being facetious about turning it off because of the eyes. I think the game is fine, a bit too much of a Mario 64 knock off for my liking and I certainly don't like it enough to warrant spending another £10 on it, but it just struck me as I played the trial how offputting the art style it and most other Rare games of that era were.

I don't recall Blast Corps having comedy eyes...Anyhow, a missile with comedy eyes would be ace. Especially as it nukes a city.

I remember buying this on day one of it's initial release on the N64. I always liked it a lot. It was never as good as Mario 64 in my eyes but still a great game in it's own right.

So I rebought it yesterday. Oh dear. It hasn't aged all that well at all, has it? I always loved Mario 64 because - regardless of the fact he's a fat plumber - you needed a degree of skill to manouver him around the environment. Mario could jump, double jump, wall kick, wall kick, wall kick into a butt stomp. All from the outset. Banjo can... let Kazooie carry him. And he can't even do that until after the first world.

There seems to be far more collecting than I remembered as well.

I realise it's probably unfair to compare it to M64. They're both different (Although they have many similarities too). And I don't hate it. I still love Clanker and Goggles. And I love Freezezy Park. It's just not the classic I remembered - unlike M64 which is still brilliant today.

I haven't read the rest of the thread. I'm probably going to get lynched.

Here's another classic Rare character line up:

dkrcast.jpg

Looking at that is a little like looking back an old school yearbook & wondering Where are they now?

Diddy has moderate success in DK's shadow, Banjo got fat & Conker descended into alcoholism & bad language.

The rest? Obscurity.

dkrcast.jpg

Oh man! I used spend ages on that screen just listening to the characters tunes and selecting and then deselecting them to hear them say their names and then sigh when I didn't.

I don't recall Blast Corps having comedy eyes...Anyhow, a missile with comedy eyes would be ace. Especially as it nukes a city.

A missile like bomb gets defused in Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts by Bottles (who's dressed as a pilot). He wacks it on the nose with a spanner and it make an amusing noise. It also has 'eyes'. And I laughed so much - I had to watch it again.

OK seriously FUCK YOU ALL.

A next-gen* Timber game is required. I'll buy ten copies.

*or any sort of Timber game at all, really.

Hey, calm down. He was'nt rubbish by any means but he (just like the other DKR characters except for Diddy, Banjo & Conker) had no characterisation or backstory & have'nt been heard from since.

If it helps, just imagine that after this adventure (that they could only win by Kart racing for some reason) they all lived happily ever after with no further mishaps to trouble them.

:wub:

No, you're right that's boring. I demand some far fetched calamity to occur to bring them back!

Yeah, and it's the second best game they've ever done. Rare - at their best when they're doing a game where putting eyes on anything simply won't fly.

I think the characters in BK do leave a lot to be desired but I also think that the pinatas in viva pinata are superb.

I also think that VP is rare's best work.

I'm enjoying BK more than I thought I would. The amount of collection has amazed me though. I know BK has a reputation for it but it's worse than I thought it would be.

I think the characters in BK do leave a lot to be desired but I also think that the pinatas in viva pinata are superb.

I also think that VP is rare's best work.

I'm enjoying BK more than I thought I would. The amount of collection has amazed me though. I know BK has a reputation for it but it's worse than I thought it would be.

Really? Mario 64 has 100 coins per level, the 8 red coins and all that as well. Most of it is entirely optional, too. BK2 on the other hand went absolutely mental with it apparently. Looking forward to trying that, it's hitting XBLA 'early 2009'.

Yeah, and it's the second best game they've ever done. Rare - at their best when they're doing a game where putting eyes on anything simply won't fly.

It's way up there isn't it? I spent so much time with BC, after two years I'd finally got all platinums. I really want this on XBLA as my N64 is long dead.

Happy days.

WORST DECISION.

Well, it wasn't really. Two-thirds of the levels were essentially inaccessible until the "twist" which revealed you had to collect all the Ewoks - and even the ones you'd previously visited could be revisted with other characters which opened them up considerably. Without this "decision" as you put it, you'd have had a very short and simple game.

Mind you, I liked DK64 too. I have no problem with collecting stuff.

Banjo Tooie was unfairly criticised as a super-collectathon. It actually streamlined a lot of things, you now collected notes in groups of five, and eggs and feathers and that were now in little nests that rotated between them. The problem with the game was that the levels were far too large and empty really. Still worth a play though, a lot of people missed it because the N64 was basically dead by then.

It's DK64 that's the apex of collectathonery. It's insane - 500 bananas on each level, with 100 for each Kong, which can only be collected with that Kong. It's a nightmare.

I'm getting increasingly frustrated at the camera in this now. I don't recall there being a problem on the N64, though.

It seems to fight me all the time. I position it where I want it, and it decides to be somewhere else.

Aye the camera can be very shit in places, and I hate how sometimes it flips completely, immediately making me lose orientation.

That's the one really annoying thing about the camera. Otherwise, it's not too bad really - but it's annoying that you can't move it round much when you're flying.